Thread: Hi Guys

Default Hi Guys

Hi All
    New here but not new to Forum life
    Been out of the tank scene for about 40yrs now and my 12yr son reactivated the spark again

So I went out bought a 400L tank that came with a 250w heater, Fluval 306 and a Eheim200 air pump, bought some fish and plants and away I went thinking that would be it, not so (note to self-research before you buy you dimwit) Furthermore the old lighting was up-the. Phoned around to see what lighting I would need to reach the 85cm deep tank and ended up getting a set made up by MakeMyLED in SA with auto timer etc etc , must say the lights are unreal I had to turn them down 20% as algae started to grow on the leaves

Anyhow the 306 is now on my sonís tank asit couldnít quite keep up with the filtering gave him the heater and air pump as well as they were too small for the tank, so I get a deal on a 406 bought it works great but find that there are still fine particles suspended within the water and with a black background easy to spot, yeah yeah Iím fussy I get that all the time from my mates as well, but once I get involved in a new hobby again everything has to be done right otherwise why bother getting back into in the 1st place

Iím off to Germany next week and over there you can get a Fluval FX6 for AU$320 Bargain Iíll get one and give the 406 to my other son, bought a Eheim400 air pump and a 300W heater while I was at it for my tank

Now here is my question to some of you more knowledgeable tank owners here, I see that the Fluval FX6 already has a larger intake compared to the Fluval 306/406 filter units because my tank is 85cm high, I wanted to add a 2nd intake one 15cm from the top and the other 20cm from the bottom and since the filter has a larger hourly filtration rate of 3500L/H, I thought that a 2nd intake might just work

Now the tank is almost there, I did find some unreal looking tree roots type wood that is soaking ATM for the next 6weeks before I cut it to size to suit the tank

As you can see its clear but not super clear, well for me anyways yeah yeah I know
    Thoughts anyone?

Just thought I'd say hello from the Hawksburry River region NSW

Cheers Marty
    Last edited by _Marty_; 21-01-18 at 02:08 PM.

Welcome.

My thoughts are the wood piece on the left looks amazing.

Research Studies:
    http://reefbase.org/resource_center/publication/main.aspx

Hiya welcome! Tank looks healthy.

Keen to see what you gather in Germany!!

Hi and welcome to the forum

You can fit 2 intakes to the filter but you will probably have to go to a hardware to buy some pvp pipe and fittings. Should be easy enough to do tho. Grab another Fluval intake screen so the fish don't get sucked in and away you go. However, I would have one intake a couple of inches off the bottom to pick up sediment. And the second intake about halfway up the tank.

When you do water changes you will have to make sure the upper filter intake does not come out of the water, or if it does, simply prime the filter before you start it. You could also fit an inline tap to the upper intake and turn the tap off before you do a water change. Then after the water change is done turn the tap back on to allow water to be drawn in from the upper intake.

You should move your aquarium heater down so it is as close to the substrate as possible and have it on a 45 degree angle. This will provide a longer heating area rather than the small area you currently have with the heater being vertical. Having the heater closer to the bottom reduces cold pockets and allows the water to warm up the entire height of the tank above the heater. It also means the heater is less likely to come out of water during water changes, which can be a problem if you forget to turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by _Marty_ View Post
    Hi All
    ... I’m off to Germany next week and over there you can get a Fluval FX6 for AU$320 Bargain I’ll get one and give the 406 to my other son, bought a Eheim400 air pump and a 300W heater while I was at it for my tank

Now here is my question to some of you more knowledgeable tank owners here, I see that the Fluval FX6 already has a larger intake compared to the Fluval 306/406 filter units because my tank is 85cm high, I wanted to add a 2nd intake one 15cm from the top and the other 20cm from the bottom and since the filter has a larger hourly filtration rate of 3500L/H, I thought that a 2nd intake might just work ...
    Splitting the intake won't do much because if you have the intake depths >40cm apart as above then 95% of the flow will come from the higher intake in the tank. FX6's flow about 1900L/hr in use which may be a little high in your 400L planted tank (almost 5x vol/hr).
    How did you go getting the FX6 back to AU?
    Last year I bought 2 x FX6 in Hong Kong but had to buy an extra large expandable bag to get them back in 1 suitcase each and they consumed my 40kg baggage allowance. They are really heavy so each bag weighed 24.5kg (luckily Cathay doesn't charge first class for extra weight). I very much agree about the HUGE price difference here in AU. I paid US$345 each for the 2 I bought (AU$450ea)
    but see the FX6 all over the world for US$299-US$390 (AU$400 to 500) retail. Many Australian retailers support multiple mark-ups so we end up paying >$600 here.
    Good luck with the aquarium looks like you are on the right track.