Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NQAS breeding

Default NQAS breeding

A couple of weeks ago I received around 25-30 NQAS (Caridina longirostris) and most of the females are berried. I split the group in 2 tanks, and on one of them (with RO water, sharing with cherry shrimp and no fish) I can see now dozens if not 100 tiiiiiiiiiny shrimps. How do I care for them? It's been a week now and I don't see that many anymore, but they're really hard to spot anyway.

Is there anything special I could do to grow them? Are they easy or hard to breed?

Cheers,
    Dan

No fish is a good start!

Here is an excerpt from the SKF.

BreedingLongirostris can be sexed by size differences. All big specimens are female (up to 4cm) whilst males are under 2.5cm. I don't know yet if the males remain small or change sex, that experiment is to come. A mature female can carry hundreds of eggs. The eggs are 0.4mm, the same sized egg as C. typus, but Longirostris are easier to breed than Typus.
    Aquarium breeding is achievable if they are kept on their own. As the shrimplets are small and free-swimming, they are open to attack from everything. The first food offered to shrimplets should be hard-boiled egg yolk, liquid fry food or spirulina in small amounts so as not to pollute the tank. The egg yolk can be offered through a piece of stocking, or in a small amount of water mashed up with a bar-mix/blender. I also use the bar-mix on the spirulina in a small amount of water. Both the egg yolk and spirulina mixes must be stored in the fridge to keep them fresh, and shaken before use. I use an eye dropper to feed because you have greater control over how much you feed. I also only keep each one for three days before making a new batch.
    As the shrimplets are so small, you can only raise a small number at a time. However this will lead to easier shrimp to breed as each generation may result in bigger shrimplets (essentially a selective breeding program where the shrimp cull themselves). Most hard to breed aquatic species get easier to breed through captive breeding, because the fry best suited to captivity survive and pass on these genes to the next generation.
    https://skfaquatics.com/forum/articl...girostris-r18/

Thanks Rebel, will give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    I can see now dozens if not 100 tiiiiiiiiiny shrimps. How do I care for them?
    I've not seen evidence that Caridina longirostris can develop in fresh water. I suspect you need salt water for them to develop like the DAS that Aquagreen sell.

Grubs, is it enough to change the salinity AFTER you see the larvae or do you need to do it beforehand??

After. If they are like DAS you have about 7-10 days in fresh water as a non-feeding stage where in the natural world they would be hatching in fresh water and drifting down the river to the estuary. The sea water either triggers the first moult, or has the necessary trace elements to enable the first moult (I don't know which) into a feeding stage that then lives in the plankton for a month before turning into a shrimp and heading upstream back into fresh water.

With DAS - I find they often live happily for the first week -then all die off - either the conditions are wrong and they fail to moult, or the food is wrong and they moult OK but then have nothing to eat.

Thanks Grubs.

I am trying to get Indir to breed em.... He needs a little encouragement.

None of the shrimps of the first batch seem to have survived...I just had a look and looks like another female has released the babies (probably after yesterday's wc).

Jeffrey from LCA said he had no success breeding them in tanks, only in 'huge ponds with lots of algae and green water'. So I guess salt for these is not a must?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Thanks Grubs.

If someone can breed them is him haha

DDM, Grubs was one of the first on the forum to breed DAS etc... ( After Dave Wilson/ Aquagreen of course ).

Challenge accepted. You going to have a crack Indir?
    I’ve got green water but not diatoms! Anybody know what larval stages these shrimp have? Nauplii, zoea, mysis etc
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Thanks Grubs.

Haha, i'm still waiting for Grubs to send me some DAS Its been a couple of years now.... Auspost must be SUPER slow from his place... Haha.

@DDM - Thanks, you go poke Grubs too :P

This may be useful, mostly the post from Grubs about crosses, etc.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...a-longirostris

Personally I saw mine breeding and shrimp larvae floating in my display tank which was HEAVILY planted and would see some smaller ones pop up now and than so I think i can attest to them breeding in pure fresh water. Not sure what they survived on though, and it would have been in very low numbers... I ended up giving away more than I had started with so there was def some new ones haha.

@FM3 - Breed them for me As a side note - marine live foods are rather easy to obtain... Single cell cultures,e tc that shoudl be plenty small enough for these to feed on (They use them to breed shrimp and raise their larvae in the salty side)! I'm still waiting for grubs to send me some DAS as above :P
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Indir, I’m referring to NQAS that Jeff supplies. His breed in pure fresh earthen ponds with an abundance of micro algae and zooplankton. I’ve got berried females, I just need to separate 1 and see what happens. I’ll do it this weekend. I’ve got nannochoropsis micro algae but no diatoms. Might buy a bottle of instant ocean algae chaetoceros.
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

Hmmm... Are you sure Jeff didn't mention throwing a few kg of salt in the ponds?

Pretty sure that's how Aquagreen does it. Not sure of doses or what type of salt (whether it's commercial sea salt) or just NaCl.

Dave uses locally collected sea water and transfers the larvae from the freshwater ponds.

Another forum member told me that they got some DAS through using sea water also, but had no success with artificial mixes... I suspect natural sea water has an advantage of having a diversity of food particles in it.

NQAS are a different species despite looking identical to DAS. I know of three anecdotal reports that they can reproduce in fresh water (The SKF article by Bob, Indir, Jeff). Would be great if someone could back up these with a photo or two and positive ID's to make sure the breeding shrimp are not some other species.
    Last edited by Grubs; 01-02-18 at 08:41 AM.

@FM3 and @indir, I suppose you guys are looking to buy a UTE now....with a large water container and pump to collect sea water... :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast