Default Newly planted tank

Hey guys, sharing our newly 4x2x2 planted tank and looking for some advice

Setup:

- River Sand
    - 2 x Flood lights from Make my led
    - LCA all in one fertiliser
    - 2 x large sponge filters
    - No CO2
    - Fish: 2 corys (temporarily as trying to breed them)

We had this tank running for few months, but it was overtaken by Cyanobacteria, so we manually removed all we could, moved the sand a little bit and did 90% water change.

We got new plants (quite a few) so last week we fully replanted it, adding a scoop of this beneficial bacteria we had leftover from the pond installation (thought it wouldn't hurt to add it to help the tank recover from 90% water change), and also started dosing with with 1 pump per day of "All in one" fert from LCA.

A week after we see that most plants started to settle as they are showing new growth and some are also releasing some small bubbles.

A couple of days ago we noticed water started getting cloudy - white. Today we stopped the two large sponge filters and we can clearly see the bacteria bloom.

Questions:

This doesn't look like algae as it's like a white cloud. I am imagining that these are micro-organisms (the beneficial bacteria we dosed maybe?)
    We don't mind the cloudy water for a while, but just wondering what would be the best action here:

1) Perform water changes
    2) or just leave it for now until it goes away?

If this is a bacteria bloom, it's good I think, right? If so, would you have the filters:

1) On all the time?
    2) Off during the day?
    3) Turn them off completely?

Do you think not having surface agitation be better in this setup?

Thanks for any comments

Last edited by Nano; 16-01-18 at 08:09 PM. Reason: rephrased and added extra info
    -----

Our pond project
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/63649-Natural-Looking-pond-with-waterfall-in-our-frontyard

Algae aside - tank looks nice! I’m no expert (have algae problems of my own) but I think the general consensus is that bottled “beneficial bacteria” is snake oil... If it was that easy everyone would be buying it rather than waiting 6 weeks for their tanks to cycle naturally...

The algae in the tank doesn’t look like typical Cyanobacteria to me though? Looks more like green water? Cyanobacteria forms a thick green blanket on plants and substrate in low flow areas of the tank.

How long is your photoperiod (how long are the lights on each day)? Those lights are mounted very close to the surface - if I was a betting man I would say that lifting the lights 10cm higher and keeping to a 5-6 hour photoperiod would slow this algae down... Without co2 injection; high light and/or too much fertiliser will quickly cause green water like you are experiencing...

That’s my take, interested to hear others thoughts?
    Last edited by Kris; 16-01-18 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added comment

Thanks for your comments Kris I realised I didn't explain very well so I edited my original post.

- We don't have Cyanobacteria anymore (at least not visible) as we removed it all by hand.
    - We thought that maybe beneficial bacteria will still be present in the tank after cleanup as we never removed the substrate from the original setup that was running for months. (we had to clean the filters though as they were covered with Cyano).
    - We added bacteria powder as we had it lying around (leftover from the pond build), as an extra and we thought it wouldn't hurt.

I think what we have now is not algae as it is like a white cloud, not green. We had something like this a couple of years ago in a small tank and it ended up being microorganisms and disappeared itself after a few days.

If it's that, I'm not sure how much oxygen they consume, and if we need to keep the sponge filters running or for this plant setup it is better to not have water surface agitation.
    -----

Our pond project
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/63649-Natural-Looking-pond-with-waterfall-in-our-frontyard

Good questions and a nice setup there.

1. Keep the filters on all the time
    2. Consider UV if the white doesn't go away in the next 6 weeks
    3. Use an airstone when lights are out only - the bacteria may die and consume a lot of oxygen in decomposition
    4. Keep up the general upkeep without any changes
    5. Since you bought the bacteria, just use em. Perhaps don't get them again though.

Most importantly keep us updated!

Thanks Rebel! and thanks for your comments.

1. OK. We'll keep the filters on all the time.
    I am trying to understand what is the best environment to grow plants. As I understood, carbon escapes with water agitation, but i understand we need to keep the filters on. Maybe sponge filters are not a good choice for a planted tank?

2. OK

3. About point 3, we have the two sponge filters... Are you saying to add extra air stones as well?

4 & 5 OK, got it

Question: Is this bacteria bloom the good bacteria that is needed in the tank?

I also thought... we have a few other resources to use:

1) a few aged tanks with other sponges and canister filters. Maybe I can squeeze some of those sponges in this tank.

2) A 12K litres pond with clear water. If this bacteria is not great for the plants and tank in general, might be a good idea to do big water change refilling with established and aged pond water?

Will surely keep you updated
    -----

Our pond project

1. Sponge filters are not a great idea for planted tanks in general - You could compensate by adding more CO2 however. With planted tanks, flow is very important. Aim for 10x tank volume per hour if possible.
    3. Oops I didn't see about sponge filters - Only run these at night

If you have aged canisters, you can squeeze in mulm or transfer media. Are you also using a Canister filter in this setup?

Don't bother with the aged pond water idea.

Bacteria bloom - generally not considered to be 'good bacteria' but I am not sure on this one.

Thanks Rebel

1) That was my suspicion about sponge filters for planted tanks. We also have wave makers, to add to this tank. They are 300L/h so not quite 10x but close

2) The canister filter is in the 6FT tank, so we might just swap it and put it in this one.

Thanks for your help, will keep you posted
    -----

Our pond project

What's the filter rating for the canister? The flow needs to be around 10x in total so add the wavemakers to the mix.

This style of tank usually requires CO2 tho. I am keen to see how you go with this one.

Will add the wavemakers yes. The canister filter is an Aqua One Aquis 500, not great for this I know but it's the only one we have.

Model Operating Flow Rate* Maximum Flow Rate**
    Aquarium Volume Power Consumption Filter Volume Max Head Height
    500 350 L/h 500 L/h 100 L 15 Watt 5.0 L 1.5 m

These lights were recommended by Fred from MakeMyLed to use in a tank this size without CO2.
    -----

Our pond project

Hmm..For a 4x2x2 I would generally recommend a much larger filter in the 3000-4000l/hour range. Some will use two filters such as Fx4 or Fx6.

No harm in trying. You can add a cheap wave maker without issue tho. Jebao etc from ebay are popular although I've never used one.
    http://www.aquariumonlinesupplies.co...ers-pumps.html

yes, I know this is very small... We'll see if we can get hold of a bigger second hand one...

Re wavemakers, we've been using much cheaper ones
    http://www.aquaholicsonline.com.au/w...sc&order=price
    -----

Our pond project

Unbelievable price for those Sun Sun models!!

Anyways, I am keen to see how you go. Often low tech tanks can be done with low flow but usually the plant mass is less and there are no Dutch like aspirations.

If its causing a bloom then it is not the kind of bacteria you want. A UV would clear it up in no time.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
    If its causing a bloom then it is not the kind of bacteria you want. A UV would clear it up in no time.
    Thanks Will try that as well. Lights have some UV LEDs but maybe I just need to buy a tube.
    -----

Our pond project

Quote Originally Posted by Nano View Post
    Thanks Will try that as well. Lights have some UV LEDs but maybe I just need to buy a tube.
    They are referring to a UV filter, which is a small powerful UV light sealed within a filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast