Thread: Little 28L tank (7.5gallon) - need some advice

Default Little 28L tank (7.5gallon) - need some advice

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on here, but I have a 28L Aquastart tank with one little Tetra? (question mark because it's silver and has a red mark around/near its eyes - but not sure the name) in it.. The other 2 died but this ones survived and doing well. The tank has already cycled and all my levels are fine.

Anyway, I want to grow some plants and need some advice on what to go for because I tried growing Glosso and it all eventually died. I bought this off ebay. They sent me some in a small packet and I planted it into a Quartz substrate.
    I purchased all these supplements and whatnot thinking I had some kind of issue with minerals, but I'm starting to think that the lighting wasn't adequate enough. The light is only 6.5w. But at the same time, I have an algae problem. The tank is next to a window but it's always dark in my room and the lighting is on a timer that turns on for about 9 hrs. I've reduced this to 5 since last night. There's probably no point of even having a light at this stage considering there's no plants in there at the moment, but I'm keen to try this again because I'm seeing a lot of tanks the same size on YouTube with good results.
    I dont really wanna go with CO2 because I've already spent a ton on different substrates and all these different supplements. Speaking of which, I currently have sand in there but it's a bit messy and I don't really like the look of it. So I'm thinking of going back to black Quartz..

So my goal is to have a nice lush green tank with a couple of little fish. I just don't know how to get there..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hiya, welcome!

If possible, it's best to use a slightly bigger tank if you are a beginner.

You don't need to upgrade that light.

You just need a better substrate (black earth premium) and some fertilisers to get going. Start with low tech easy plants. For your tank, I suggest, trident java fern, small crypts and perhaps some rotala species. Also chuck in some frogbit at the beginning.

Fish could be something small like rasbora maculate (not really a beginner fish) and maybe a few cherry shrimp.

Any pics of your tank?
    Look up low tech scapes. George farmer has excellent scapes without CO2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hiya, welcome!

You just need a better substrate (black earth premium) and some fertilisers to get going. Start with low tech easy plants. For your tank, I suggest, trident java fern, small crypts and perhaps some rotala species. Also chuck in some frogbit at the beginning.

Fish could be something small like rasbora maculate (not really a beginner fish) and maybe a few cherry shrimp.

Any pics of your tank?
    i've thought about a bigger tank. I had my eye on a big used one on ebay that was going for $200 with a stand, but I missed out.
    I'll take a look at what you suggested. What sort of fertz should I be looking at and how frequently should I be using them?
    I'll post some pics tonight when I get home.

For low tech the world famous Green Element.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...=GREEN+ELEMENT

Otherwise Aquagreen/ LCA sell ferts.

Also look up HM which is a good option for a small tank.

Also look up HM which is a good option for a small tank.
    +1 on HM. I had a nice carpet on a 28L without CO2 or ferts (obviously things would be easier in theory with both). Here: http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ank?highlight=

Try to get your hands on some Lobelia Cardinalis. It looks beautiful in my low tech tanks!

Anubias, Java fern varieties, java moss are some plants that would also be easy to take care of. Entirely up to your own preferences of course

Set ups usually pop up for cheap on gumtree or facebook groups, you just have to be patient. Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    Try to get your hands on some Lobelia Cardinalis. It looks beautiful in my low tech tanks!

Anubias, Java fern varieties, java moss are some plants that would also be easy to take care of. Entirely up to your own preferences of course
    Agree with most here except the Java Moss. That stuff is like a weed that you just cant get rid of. Plenty of the other moss varieties will grow low tech and are more controllable if you change your mind later.
    Common crypts will grow slow and even Monte Carlo will spread if you have the patience.

Hiya, welcome!

Any pics of your tank?
    I've got a couple of pics I just took. You can see the Algae outbreak I've got. I cleaned it out about a 2 weeks ago and it's back already. Even growing on the glass a bit. Btw, is that black earth premium any different to the black quartz I've already got? Just wondering... it's about $90 a bag!
    And to confirm, the light that came installed on the tank lid already is adequate? Any idea why my glosso died then??... I thought that stuff grew like wild fire..
    Last edited by dylan86_exe; 15-01-18 at 05:39 PM.

Cant see pics.

Black earth is very good for plant growth. You can grow plants without any soil but its easier for beginners. You can just use sand to grow plants but i generally dont recommend it for beginners.

Glosso generally needs co2 injection to be lush etc. Again, some advanced planted guys can grow it without co2 but its not an easy plant.