Thread: Update and new plans

Default Update and new plans

Just thought I would post an update and go over my plans for this tank.

It is looking fine and there is no algae at all.

The Panduro ended up letting her fry of the leash. I can spot a few here and there but I don't think many made it. the ones I do see are around 7mm and are doing well. I tried to pull the fry at one stage however they simply hid in the NL Java fern. I am thinking that I will pull the next spawn after a couple of weeks.

I am not loving the narrow leaf java fern and it is looking a little ratty. I find that it collects to much waste and is difficult to clean around. My new plan is to loose the java fern (most of it anyway) and add a variety of Anubias. Definitely some more Nana and am will decide on a few others for the mid/back. This will mean that I can easily remove the plants to catch the fry and will also be able to keep the tank as clean as I like it to be.

I am also going to remove some of the substrate as it is quite deep. When I do this i will pull out the large piece of wood and spread out the Fissiden a bit.

I will keep the Crypts and the Crinum. The Crinum is finally starting to grow back well. When I received it it had had most of the roots removed and all of the leaves had been cut to a few inches long.

I experimented with various locally available leaves. Many broke down quickly and most made a mess. I have decided to not use leaves except for some Melaleuca leaves. Thease are quite small and take ages to break down. I am also using some bark from a large gum type tree and a few different seed pod (maple, etc.). I like the look. They tend not to float all over the tank and are easy to clean around. they also release shite loads of tanins !!!!

I dont know what to do with the Rummynose tetras. I would like to sell/trade them but have had no interest so far.

I am happy with the Panduro at the moment and wont switch them out for a while yet. The army of glass shrimp are also doing a great job and will stay.

Any suggestions let me know.

Cheers

Ado
    Whatever

I will also be adding more smaller driftwood pieces as they become available.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
    Just thought I would post an update and go over my plans for this tank.

It is looking fine and there is no algae at all.

The Panduro ended up letting her fry of the leash. I can spot a few here and there but I don't think many made it. the ones I do see are around 7mm and are doing well. I tried to pull the fry at one stage however they simply hid in the NL Java fern. I am thinking that I will pull the next spawn after a couple of weeks.

I am not loving the narrow leaf java fern and it is looking a little ratty. I find that it collects to much waste and is difficult to clean around. My new plan is to loose the java fern (most of it anyway) and add a variety of Anubias. Definitely some more Nana and am will decide on a few others for the mid/back. This will mean that I can easily remove the plants to catch the fry and will also be able to keep the tank as clean as I like it to be.

I am also going to remove some of the substrate as it is quite deep. When I do this i will pull out the large piece of wood and spread out the Fissiden a bit.

I will keep the Crypts and the Crinum. The Crinum is finally starting to grow back well. When I received it it had had most of the roots removed and all of the leaves had been cut to a few inches long.

I experimented with various locally available leaves. Many broke down quickly and most made a mess. I have decided to not use leaves except for some Melaleuca leaves. Thease are quite small and take ages to break down. I am also using some bark from a large gum type tree and a few different seed pod (maple, etc.). I like the look. They tend not to float all over the tank and are easy to clean around. they also release shite loads of tanins !!!!

I dont know what to do with the Rummynose tetras. I would like to sell/trade them but have had no interest so far.

I am happy with the Panduro at the moment and wont switch them out for a while yet. The army of glass shrimp are also doing a great job and will stay.

Any suggestions let me know.

Cheers

Ado
    What don't you like about the rummy nose? I think they look great in your tank! All in all it is a very nice look!

I'm pretty sure that as soon as the Panduro's let the fry go off on their own that the Tetras ate most of them.

I like them and they stick together better than most other fish.
    Whatever

They are also complete nut jobs at feeding time making it difficult to feed the Apisto's at times.
    Whatever

I just saw a few of the fry swimming around and they are actually over 10mm now. They are growing very fast indeed!!!

I only spotted 2 or 3 but there may be more hiding out.
    Whatever

Nice work! Did you end up removing the tetras?

id take the rummys, but im in wollongong. 2.5 hours away sorry. would be an expensive bunch of rummys lol.
    Tank looks great IMO and youre definitely not wrong about Rummys being complete nut jobs at feeding time.

I could see 4 juvies swimming about and there may be more.
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
    I am not loving the narrow leaf java fern and it is looking a little ratty.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Loving the seed pods, I have these in my front yard and have never thought of using them!