Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rainbowfish Breeding racks + extra tanks

Here's some photos. Both the Spotted's and Threadfins are magnificent despite being tiny and surprisingly both somewhat cooperated with the photo shoot. I didn't take any of the nigrans as they are still looking fairly average. (apologies if photos come out huge, Imgur changed something or I hit something I'm not sure.

Threadfins.

This guy was showing the band through the top of his head after sparring.

Female

The Spotted's are tiny but very cute. I would definitely recommend them for a display Rebel.

Almost got the focus on this female.

And of course some more Pacific shots.

Note the clear patch in the lower part of this guys tail. It's the regrowth after the gudgeons took a bite out of him.

Nice pics, thanks for the photos

Are those all from aquagreen? Is it just the photo or is the fins on the threadfins yellow? I thought the ones Dave had were the red finned variety.

I like those orange finned pacifics, very nice.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Thanks Indir.

Yes they all came from aquagreen, it's by far the easiest way for me to get a hold of some the rainbows I want.

Their fin colour does seem to lean more towards yellow asides from the tail, but this may change as they settle in more?

In my experience, only the leading edge of the caudal and dorsal fins are pink on the NT variety from dave.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Do you mid linking where you get you're breeder boxes from Indir as I'm interested in getting some.

These are the threadfins I got from Dave (don't have them anymore though). They are mostly red, with no yellow. Could just be a colour mutation thats all, nothing bad I was just curious

@wread17 - No worries. THere is 2 types. The "original" is the aquamantra branded, it is a nicer build quality and the air uptake tube is better functionality due to a bend instead of a 90 degree angle on the chinese/cheap clone version. The 2nd version is the clone/cheap version, it is slightly larger in size but lower quality build overall IMO and the uptake tube is not as good due to the 90 degree elbow bend instead of a curved bend. There is also two sizes, "small" and "large". I use large, they are advertised as 2L but i think they are closer to 3L from memory when I measured but its been aw hile

Find the "clone" version here:
    https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/...hp?prodID=6504
    https://www.thetechden.com.au/Aqua_S...l_p/sa-051.htm

AquaMantra version:
    https://www.seaviewaquarium.com.au/s...a-breeding-box

Most decent LFS seem to carry them though. Larger one is usually 25-30 bux on average.
    "The stuff I buy is a bit pricey however it is as dry as a nuns nasty" - BigDaddyAdo

Thanks Indir, I'll have to order some in. The disadvantages of living around 500kms from a decent lfs.

Some of the eggs I've collected have started to eye up so hopefully they're should be some tank bread babies running around soon.

With the delivery from aquagreen I now have quite a number of rainbows scattered throughout the tanks and I probably don't need anymore mid to top water fish. However the collector in me always wants more. I'm thinking of getting a couple of whiptails to grow out in one of the tanks but would also like to dabble in a dwarf cichlid species or two. I do really like the apistos but am currently struggling to lower pH so they're probably a no for now. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Yum, bread babies Haha. Good luck with the fry! Got your live foods ready to go?

You will find that most tank bred apistos will do fine in a neutral pH. What is your pH? Cacatuoides especially come from a more neutral pH even in nature compared to other species which can be as low as 4pH Rams will also do fine in neutral pH and look nice. Its only really a concern for wild caught fish and sometimes if you want to spawn, some apistos may need the low pH for their eggs to hatch properly, etc. But these are rare apisto species anyway so unlikely to see/find them easily. Corydoras may also be an option but may eat eggs from the mops, and/or spawn in them. (I tihnk my whiptails eat the rainbow eggs sometimes too. I find one hanging in the mop every now and then lol).

Whiptails are also great and fairly easy to breed once mature. Poke JC12 on here, he has a few LG6 ready to go I think. Or close to it atleast

I do love bread

Haha yes I'm already talking to jc12. I might end up going with some cacatuoides then if they'll do alright around neutral although I'll still need to lower the pH a bit before I get there. I did add a bit of peat moss to the filter before I went away for those ten days but it seems to have done little, I think I'll add some more over the coming days.

Still having little luck with the blue-eyes, I've watched the males sparring and trying to tempt the 4 girls over the last 4 days but I haven't collected anymore eggs. Whether they're just eating them all I don't know but I doubt it, they're all very well fed. I ended up getting a small pond and have put it in dads orchid greenhouse so I think I'll put a trio in there and if I start to see fry I'll end up putting all 4 females in there. Hopefully I'll have more luck with the Threadfins and Spotted's.

What is your pH? For the more common species I wouldnt worry so much as long as it isnt too high (like in hte 8's) and focus on stability more so Cacatuoides are not that picky in that sense and as I said can be found in more neutral pH levels in teh wild (7's).

Try separating the threadfins/blue eyes into a trio in a tank and see if you get any more eggs? I've found that extra males/females can sometimes follow the breeders and eat the eggs right after spawning (bastards...).

Does anyone have experience with val leaves turning clear and fragile towards their base? Particularly on new leaves? Could it be a lack of nutrients? Any help appreciated.

Any pics? Been a while since I kept vals.

Maybe pull out the offending plant and have a look at the roots to make sure that they are ok. If roots are ok, just add a root tab to the base to exclude any nutrient issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wread17 View Post
    Does anyone have experience with val leaves turning clear and fragile towards their base? Particularly on new leaves? Could it be a lack of nutrients? Any help appreciated.
    I have tried growing val on 3 or 4 occasions without success. The val would just melt and not recover. The difference with my val was the whole plant would turn clear and fragile.

Not sure what your issue could be but root tabs would help if it is a lack of nutrients. I remember some people suggested adding iron to help the val. Avoid seachem excel as that makes the val melt.

Apart from that val is a very easy plant to grow but i never succeeded in growing it

Monty, AFAIK, Vals prefer a little kH in the tank. If you try again, chuck a small bit of coral next to the roots. I say this because I know that most of our planted tanks have little kH to spare.

Makes me curious to try again.

Actually, if one wants to go fancy, they would choose the contortionist val ie Vallisneria asiatica or contorta. I am not sure of it's scientific name. It stays shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Monty, AFAIK, Vals prefer a little kH in the tank. If you try again, chuck a small bit of coral next to the roots. I say this because I know that most of our planted tanks have little kH to spare.

Makes me curious to try again.

Actually, if one wants to go fancy, they would choose the contortionist val ie Vallisneria asiatica or contorta. I am not sure of it's scientific name. It stays shorter.
    Thanks Rebel.

I have to do a KH test but assume mine has always been low. I failed with growing vallisneria nana and even jungle val.

I have read people using crushed coral to raise the KH. Might have to get my hands on some when/if i try val again.

I like the taller species especially when they overgrow and create a canopy look in the tank.

One day i will try it again. Hopefully soon since i am excited to get it going this time round.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast