Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rainbowfish Breeding racks + extra tanks

Default Rainbowfish Breeding racks + extra tanks

Hello all, long time forum lurker/occasional poster.
    Thought it was long past time to share my own setups and ongoing project so strap in for a long post as I like to babble. I currently have 2x 4 foot tanks + a rack with 3x 3 footers and 2x 2 footers with included sump + an 80L aquaone acrylic + an outdoor shuttle pond. I'll split up the post according to the different tanks and what's happening with them.

1. The 1st 4 footer
    This is my 'main' tank and currently holds 3 Melanotaenia boesemani, 5 Melanotaenia splendida inornata Remu, 5 SAE's, 4 Midgley's Carp Gudgeons, 1x Rummynose (about 6 years old, it's a freak) and one peppermint. Once I move the other 4 foot tank to my dads the majority of these fish will move into it, with the Remu's going outside into the shuttle to join the other 4. This will leave this tank free to house my group of Pacific Blue-eye's, with some Threadfins and Spotted Blue-eyes which I will hopefully get a hold of soon.

Remu

Spawning boesemani
    IMG_2395 by LYCEHSNNWHVTDWCDIOVF54PDDN, on Flickr
    IMG_2376 by LYCEHSNNWHVTDWCDIOVF54PDDN, on Flickr
    Group shot
    IMG_2209 by LYCEHSNNWHVTDWCDIOVF54PDDN, on Flickr

2. The 2nd 4 footer
    Unfortunately I don't have any photos of this at the moment but it contains around 12? Melanotaenia splendida inornata Mary River, 5 Melanotaenia macculllochi, 1 Royal Whiptail (Unsure of the exact species but definitely a Sturisoma or Sturisomatichthys) and 1 Goldfish (Will be finding a new home). Once the other fish move into here this will be my big mixed community tank with pairs and trios able to be pulled out for breeding

3. Breeding Rack
    Currently a giant mess as I have only just set it up and am waiting on the LED's I ordered. This will be used to breed the various rainbows I have/am getting and then grow out the fry. The bottom left tank I've pulled out of the sump system and will be running it on sponge filters for initial hatching and grow out of fry. Because it's separate to the rest of the system it currently holds some Melanotaenia fluviatilis, Craterocephalus fulvus/amniculus (unsure) and a Gobiomorphus coxii I collected until I figure out what to do with them. The tank above it holds the group of Pacific Blue-eyes I collected around Wauchope + some juvenile Gobiomorphus coxii. Then the 2 footer to the right of it holds a small yabby (not permanent) and the tank above it a Macrobrachium australiense (again not permanent).

These guys are so hard to get a half decent photo but they are really pretty.

A juvenile Melanotaenia fluviatilis

Cox's
    IMG_2563 by LYCEHSNNWHVTDWCDIOVF54PDDN, on Flickr

4. Aquaone Acrylic Tank, holds around 80L don't know the exact make.
    Currently empty asides from some Caridinia maccullochi (indistincta complex) which I also collected from my local river (Namoi). These don't appear to be Paratya australiense from what I can tell, they lack the spine behind the eye which I forget the name of and have also developed pronounced vertebral lines. Basically just a tank ready for emergencies although I am tempted to add some dwarf corys.
    Excuse the glare

5. Shuttle
    Bought this from a local concreting place for $50, best decision I've made in a while. It used to contain some kind of concrete setter but after washing it out with a pressure cleaner and leaving it for a while it hasn't killed anything I put in it. Currently holds a lily, 4 Melanotaenia splendida inornata Remu (with the others soon to join) and some more Midgley's Carp Gudgeons (impossible to see these but I assume they're still down there on the bottom). The hottest I've seen it get is 32 degrees but the Chequered's are tough as nails and it doesn't seem to bother them, although I do run an airline into it for water circulation + the deeper parts aren't as hot. Excitingly I've just found some fry swimming along the surface and have caught two of them to raise indoors to, but in the future I'm going to leave all of them in there until maybe winter.
    IMG_2439 by LYCEHSNNWHVTDWCDIOVF54PDDN, on Flickr
    One of the fry.

Anyway that's all my tanks, I'll keep updating this thread as I go and will hopefully add some photos of the second 4 footer soon. Please ask if you have any questions about some of the things I'm doing and feel free to share your own experiences as I'm keen to learn as much as I can.
    Last edited by wread17; 02-01-18 at 11:34 AM.

Ok so transferring to imgur I don't have some of the photos I wanted to upload but I'll see if i can get them later. Sorry about the huge images, if anyone knows how to fix it please tell me. Nevermind fixed it.
    Last edited by wread17; 02-01-18 at 11:28 AM.

Good to see you posting Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your pictures.

Side note - i think you copied the wrong links from flickr. I havent got flickr or i'd get you the info but its unlikely that the script tags will work here.

Try this though - get the src="" part, take the link and wrap it in [ IMG] and [ /IMG] tags, it should work as per below:

Which i did like this: (without hte spaces):
    [ IMG]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4738/27664760949_4f572c9f33_z.jpg[ /IMG]

I'll give it a go. Funny, it worked perfectly well using the links the way I did it from flickr for another forum. Right it's sorted, thanks for the help Indir, in the future I'll put all the photos on imgur.
    Last edited by wread17; 02-01-18 at 11:35 AM.

You have some healthy looking nicely coloured bows Well done.

Any specific species your interested in obtaining to breed in future? Lots of nice rainbows around I just picked up some P. Luminatus myself so hoping for some spawns from them soon.

Also congrats on the surprise fry

Thanks Indir,
    I'm looking at sourcing some Malanda Rainbows at the moment through ANGFA and then some of Aquagreens threadfins and spotted blue-eyes. They're probably the only new species I might get, I have plenty already that I need to work on spawning but it's hard to resist sometimes.

Very nice ANGFA guys should be able to get you everything i'd say. Aquagreen stock is very good too Good luck with the breeding efforts, looking forward to seeing you post more

Ok time for an update.

My two LED's arrived from eBay and I've rigged some metal hooks to hold the one over the middle two tanks as well as something similar for the tube light which now does the bottom 3ft (even though it's a 4 footer I can't see the point of buying another 3 foot LED to replace it). The top LED will just rest on the tanks for now. The LED's aren't particularly bright, especially the one thats held off the tanks, although the below picture does make the whole setup look very dark when in reality it looks reasonably well lit to the naked eye. They should still grow low light plants easily and for a breeding setup that's all I need.

I bought this setup second hand and have several issues with it but considering I got it for $400 I'm content with it's messy nature. I'll only have it setup for around 1 and a half years before I pack it up before going off to uni. Anyway enough whinging and on to other developments.

Basically I have moved all the fish bar the pleco, rummynose and one male Midgley's from the 4 footer into the rack. SAE's went into the top 3 footer along with 3 Murray Rainbows, the large Cox's (which proceeded to commit suicide via jumping, all large collected gudgeons now deceased) and some local baby Macrobrachiums. Honestly I think I'll look to move the SAE's on as though I love watching their behaviour they just love to dislodge smaller plants and generally annoy other fish.
    Oddly one of the three Murray juveniles has a split caudal fin.

The second three footer still houses the main group of Blue-eyes + several tiny Cox's and 3 juvenile Hardyheads.Indir your photos inspired me to try to get better photos, needless to say I didn't really improve on last time but here's some more photos. Please excuse glass scratches, the tanks aren't exactly in pristine condition.

Baby cox's, they're tiny.

The bottom three footer now holds the other Murray's that are still being quarantined, 6 I think, (quite a few of the fish I have collected from the Namoi have Anchor worm) plus the baby yabby who was moved to free up the two footer. It also now has the other 4 Midgley's after they displayed an appreciation for nipping on blue-eye fins.
    Murray's have to be the ugliest rainbow in existence unless they hit the light. A photo with and without flash for comparison.

The yabby

Female Midgley's with eggs visible through the abdomen.

The top two foot now has 2 trios of Blue-eyes for breeding, they currently don't seem interested but I'm working on fattening them up.

Into the bottom two foot i put the trio of boesemani two days ago. The male seemed very ready to spawn and became quite aggressive but the females both seemed disinterested so I've put him in the top three foot temporarily while I work on conditioning the two females. However, after examining the mop I had in there I found some eggs .

I'm still keeping the trio separate to fatten up the females until the males reintroduction in a couple of days. The mop I've moved into the tub where I have the two Remu fry. Exciting times ahead, I'll keep working on my photography so that it becomes appreciable hopefully. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by wread17; 06-01-18 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Photo sizing

A question for anyone the has spawned sticky egg scattering fish. How did you deal with multiple spawnings?

For example, my boesemani just spawned again and I removed the eggs from the mop, not sure if this will kill them but I'm willing to sacrifice a few spawns to figure out the easiest method. I did this so I could replace the mop back in the tank but this is both time consuming and I'm assuming I might have damaged the eggs. Does anyone have an easier way? All i can really think of is make either millions of mops and swap them daily or leave a mop in for several days to collect a large number of eggs before removing both it and the fish.

On another note, the Blue-eyes still aren't spawning and I'm not really sure why. For now I've separated the two males back into the main group and left the 4 girls on their own so I can feed them heavily before reintroducing the males. Does anyone have any tips or ticks that might work?

Missed your update earlier. Congrats on the fry. Those pacifics look nice, do they have orange fins or is that just the photos? As for photography, it is "fun" with the fish isn't it? Best solution is to watch them for 5-10 minutes to see where their main action is, and manually focus here and wait for them to swim through as you take photos haha. Key is fast shutter speed and lots of light (external flash). I'm glad your taking photos though, they are good

Rainbow eggs are quite robust and will not be harmed as long as you are not too rough when handling them to make them burst. I remove eggs from mops manually and put them in take away containers for hatching before fry go to external breeder boxes or fry tanks, etc. It is indeed time consuming but I find this the easiest way to know hatch rates, etc. The other solutions that a lot of people use is multiple mops, and than transfer to hatching tank. But rainbow eggs take a while to hatch so you'd need a fair few mops if you changing daily. Leaving for several days can be hit or miss, a lot of bows will eat their eggs quickly given the chance and they will be in the mops regularly so you'll find minimal egg numbers IMO. I find the blue eyes often dont spawn daily, or if they do its only a few eggs daily so if your goal is maximum fry, i'd say collect eggs daily. After a few times of this you'll learn to be a bit faster and it shouldnt tkae more than a minute or 2 per mop. I gently squeeze the excess water out of the mop and look for eggs in the mop in a highly lit area (on the tank lid, right under the lights), i move the eggs to a take away container with a drop of meth blue until they eye up. I'll do water changes on this every 2-3 days and swirl the eggs around at least once a day.

As for them not spawning, i've never had success spawning any fish by separating them and then giving them a day or 2 to spawn. It never seems to get me any fry, just lots of skittish adult fish. So i just leave them in breeding tanks permanently and feed lots of live foods (or foods in general, look for higher protein foods for these purposes especially) 2 or 3 times a day as I find this keeps them all in great breeding condition to spawn daily (or every other day) all year round. This is a little more work and hands on than other methods but I find this gives me the best fry numbers.

Hope this helps

Thanks Indir, I'll keep doing it the way I'm doing it then.

Yes their fins are orange. I've collected Pacific's before from around Wauchope but those ones were actually in very brackish water and there fins were red. However, once I brought them home they reverted to a yellowy-orange so I guess I'll see what happens with these ones. The ones above were collected in fully freshwater though so hopefully they stay the same.

It really is the best way to get highest egg and fry numbers in my opinion.

Very interesting, never seen any other than yellow finned types. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by wread17 View Post
    A question for anyone the has spawned sticky egg scattering fish. How did you deal with multiple spawnings?

For example, my boesemani just spawned again and I removed the eggs from the mop, not sure if this will kill them but I'm willing to sacrifice a few spawns to figure out the easiest method. I did this so I could replace the mop back in the tank but this is both time consuming and I'm assuming I might have damaged the eggs. Does anyone have an easier way? All i can really think of is make either millions of mops and swap them daily or leave a mop in for several days to collect a large number of eggs before removing both it and the fish.

On another note, the Blue-eyes still aren't spawning and I'm not really sure why. For now I've separated the two males back into the main group and left the 4 girls on their own so I can feed them heavily before reintroducing the males. Does anyone have any tips or ticks that might work?
    Frankly, to avoid stress I would rotate mops every week or so. Going by your images your wool threads are pretty thick. I made my own with what looks like your thread but now have cheap ones, made in China with much thinner strands. Bigger surface area, harder for adults to get at and great success. Since rainbows and killis lay eggs daily I like to wait for a few eggs to collect in the mop for a week and then just put them in a container with tank of origin water and a splash of methylene blue.

I might have a go at both methods happyfins, I have a few different species and tanks to play with so I'll get back to you all with my results. Also going to have to find some of that thinner wool. Thanks for the suggestions.

Some more photos and notes.

This bits a little off topic but is kind of related. My dad is the local vet for my town and therefore often gets brought in random wildlife that is either injured or is a juvenile, with the other night being a fledgling Little Egret.

He'll hopefully be released as soon as he's capable of flight + he's kind of cute. Unfortunately he's an eating machine and the task falls to me to find it enough small fish and shrimp to keep it satisfied. Luckily I live on the local river and am therefore pillaging it for mosquitofish and the incredibly abundant Macrobrachiums (Has anyone else noticed that males vastly outnumber females? I think i catch them at about 20:1).

This also means I'm catching more small natives so of course I had to bring a few more back.
    A singular Bony Bream, really pretty with it's reflective platinum colour. This guy will probably go back to the river quickly as they grow fairly large and seeing as they are social and I can't catch anymore it's not the best way to keep him/her.

A couple more Murray's, actually caught a larger male this time who has some colour, unfortunately my photos are still subpar.

Female

Juvenile Hardyheads are also abundant (If anyone knows whether these are fulvus or amniculus that would be great) and I now have around 20. They form a nice school and despite being a fairly average silvery looking fish I quite like them.

Boesemani are still giving me eggs, probably around 10 a day. The hunt for a blue-eye spawn continues.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast