Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade to 170L

I don't agree that Bolivians are boring nor colourless in the right setting. Yes, they are not as flashy as GBR but behaviour seems better and definitely hardier.
    i have shrimps in all of my tanks with dwarf cichlids, just need cover.
    Gouramis of course are another great option. Excellent experience with pearl gouramis. My honey gouramis didn't last long, I had the yellow strain which are mass produced in Asia. I wonder if they had the gourami iridovirus which I think they are now checking for.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Oh yeah, they look pretty similar! Are bolivian rams peaceful enough? I'm mostly concerned about my shrimp being eaten, and kuhli's being chased off eggs (I dont mind if the kuhli's eat eggs, I dont want a breeding tank)

Would you recommend just one school of whatever I choose, and the rams? Aim for 2 males and 2 females you reckon?

Cheers
    Bolivians are pussycats. One or 2 schools of fish always looks better that 5. Aiming for that sex ratio is good but not so easy although there was a girl in Auburn who picked the sexes very accurately.

Thanks happyfins, I really appreciate you're input on this! Now just to choose between pearls and bolivians... Still have some time to think!

Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    Bolivians are pussycats. One or 2 schools of fish always looks better that 5. Aiming for that sex ratio is good but not so easy although there was a girl in Auburn who picked the sexes very accurately.
    Another question @happyfins, since youve been so helpful. Would pearls and bolivians be alright in the same tank? Like a pair of bolivians, a small group of pearls, and maybe a smaller schooling fish?

This is under the assumption I move my shrimp out...

Sounds good to me KRL, the gouramis and bolivians occupy completely different areas of the tank so there shouldn't be any problems between them. Bolivians are really peaceful and wouldn't touch anything but small fry and shrimp IME, although you might get some territorial disputes. I'm less familiar with gourami's but I think they should be fine, although I have heard they may be a little aggressive with each other if someone else could confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by wread17 View Post
    Sounds good to me KRL, the gouramis and bolivians occupy completely different areas of the tank so there shouldn't be any problems between them. Bolivians are really peaceful and wouldn't touch anything but small fry and shrimp IME, although you might get some territorial disputes. I'm less familiar with gourami's but I think they should be fine, although I have heard they may be a little aggressive with each other if someone else could confirm?
    Thanks! From what you've seen, if there are territorial disputes or breeding protectiveness, are they aggressive or more into bluffing? As in, will they harm my fish or just chase them? I'm particularly thinking of the kuhli's, who will attempt to steal eggs if they breed...

Another question @happyfins, since youve been so helpful. Would pearls and bolivians be alright in the same tank? Like a pair of bolivians, a small group of pearls, and maybe a smaller schooling fish?

This is under the assumption I move my shrimp out...
    Yes, they are fine together, tried and tested. If anything I think you should consider how many male pearls you put in, they can be a bit intolerant. if you structure your tank properly you could have 2 pairs of bolivians. They like open areas and a flat stone to lay their eggs on, so if you were to provide a flat stone on each end of the tank they would not squabble too much.

Thanks! From what you've seen, if there are territorial disputes or breeding protectiveness, are they aggressive or more into bluffing? As in, will they harm my fish or just chase them? I'm particularly thinking of the kuhli's, who will attempt to steal eggs if they breed...

I think they will keep the kuhlis at bay during the day by nipping them. The kuhlis will quickly learn to stay away but sneak back at night to eat the fry.The Bolivians really are not great fighters and easily get harassed by smaller fish like apistogrammas.
    Last edited by happyfins; 07-01-18 at 03:47 PM. Reason: makes more sense I hope

Great, thanks happyfins! Are pearls better off having say 1 male and 3 females? To spread the harrassment of the females?

Okay so the kuhli's should be alright, if they learn fast enough.

Great, thanks happyfins! Are pearls better off having say 1 male and 3 females? To spread the harrassment of the females?

Okay so the kuhli's should be alright, if they learn fast enough.
    I would go 1 male and 2 females or just one pair. The females really are big and not that pretty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12