Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 170L

Default Upgrade to 170L

Hi all

I currently have a ~70L tank (~19g), and have now got a 175L tank to move everyone into at the end of this month. I thought I'd start my build thread early so I can be as prepared as possible for the swap.

Current tank stocking:
    5 kuhli loaches
    1 siamese algae eater
    pile of RCS
    Baby peppermint bristlenose pleco

This is in a tank with 2 sponge filters, and a pile of driftwood and plants (low tech- anubias and java fern I think)

New tank will have all the same stock and plants/driftwood, plus a fluval C4 filter. New substrate will be iron sand. Once it is stable and running, I'm planning on adding a schooling or shoaling fish and boosting the kuhli population.

Current stocking thoughts:
    10 kuhli loaches
    10-15 espei rasbora
    10-15 neon/cardinal tetras (which would be better?)
    SAE
    RCS
    BN pleco

Any thoughts on the stocking?

Some other questions to start with:
    Any recommendations for a good and reasonably priced LED?
    I've had an algae problem for a while now, is there a way to get rid of the algae off the plants so they look nice in the new tank?
    Any tips/tricks on moving an established and rather large population of RCS from one tank to the other?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I personally don't like the combination espei/neon. Just from an aesthetic point of view I think they distract from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    I personally don't like the combination espei/neon. Just from an aesthetic point of view I think they distract from each other.
    Reasonable! Any suggestions?

Since you're not getting much feedback: it is a reasonable choice of fish. SAE eventually get pretty gigantic and lazy and like to be in groups. Unless you want to get rid of them they grow up and buy new ones I would steer clear. i don't succeed with tetras and barbs longterm. I think the Australian summer takes its toll. Espei and cardinals survive for a year or so and then pass on although there always seems to be one fish that survives for years after the others have passed. Neons are cheaper and prefer slightly cooler than cardinals so depending on whether your place is air-conditioned in summer that might make a difference. I found Rasbora hengeli slightly tougher than espei although not as pretty but agin cheaper. My feeling is all these little rasbora and tetras would probably do well in blackwater conditions which I have not tried. I think RCS are fine with pretty much anything as long as they can hide and a pair of BN plecos fit in almost anywhere. Kuhlis are great, never had them with a sandy substrate but would use it if I get them again. Gut feeling is they would really love it.

Thanks so much for the reply Happyfins! I will take it all on board and have a better think about the tetras in particular. I dont know what to do about my SAE then... I'll see how he is in the new tank, then maybe I'll try find him a better home.

I hate SAE. They will piss the other fish off to no end when they are young and when they get a bit older they just sit around and only ever seem to move to eat.

I am also not a fan of BN either. They will rasp on your plant leaves and some how manage to crap out several times more than they eat !!!!

Consider a group of Rummynose Tetras.

Khuli loaches are awesome. I would suggest that increasing their numbers will cause a decrease in your shrimp number though.
    Whatever

Hmm I might have to find a way to rehome/get rid of the SAE then... Anyone want a free one?

I love my bristlenose, he's very cute. I don't mine the poop, I have dark substrate and it blends in...

Rummynose are beautiful! Are they more hardy than neons/cardinals? Do you think the rummynose as the only school then?

I've actually started to have thoughts about german blue rams-one or maybe a pair... What do you think @BigDaddyAdo and @happyfins ?

I am all for dwarf cichlids. Never had GBR, several forum members have stated they get aggro, also have a reputation for being difficult and needing high temps. With so many other dwarfs they would not be on top of my list. I can wholeheartedly recommend their bolivian cousins. In your tank you could keep 4 and hope for 2 pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    I am all for dwarf cichlids. Never had GBR, several forum members have stated they get aggro, also have a reputation for being difficult and needing high temps. With so many other dwarfs they would not be on top of my list. I can wholeheartedly recommend their bolivian cousins. In your tank you could keep 4 and hope for 2 pairs.
    Oh yeah, they look pretty similar! Are bolivian rams peaceful enough? I'm mostly concerned about my shrimp being eaten, and kuhli's being chased off eggs (I dont mind if the kuhli's eat eggs, I dont want a breeding tank)

Would you recommend just one school of whatever I choose, and the rams? Aim for 2 males and 2 females you reckon?

Cheers
    Last edited by KRL; 02-01-18 at 08:16 PM.

Blue Rams need high temps but are much more attractive than Bolivians. I also think that they are a much more interesting fish behaviour wise. I always found Bolivians kind of boring. Pairs are also more interesting.

I always prefer a larger group of a single type rather than multiple smaller groups. Rummynose tetras keep a pretty tight group too.

Rams will actively hunt down shrimp as will Apistos but if your colony is healthy enough and you provide enough cover it should be fine.
    Whatever

Thanks BigDaddyAdo

There is plenty of cool dwarf cichlids around that would look great in a planted community tank, etc. However if your main goal is shrimp survival, every one of these suggestions will destroy a colony of shrimp in no time in my opinion.

I once had an apistogramma eat about 50 shrimp in a day... Chased them all down, he was bloated for a week Bastard. Though you have a much larger tank than I did with my shrimp/apisto combo....

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    There is plenty of cool dwarf cichlids around that would look great in a planted community tank, etc. However if your main goal is shrimp survival, every one of these suggestions will destroy a colony of shrimp in no time in my opinion.

I once had an apistogramma eat about 50 shrimp in a day... Chased them all down, he was bloated for a week Bastard. Though you have a much larger tank than I did with my shrimp/apisto combo....
    Jeez thats impressive haha.
    I'll see how well my shrimp flourish in the new tank, and if I look like I've got a strong population and good hiding spots I'll consider pearl or honey gourami!
    The other option is a pretty little shrimp tank...

Impressive yes, annoying VERY. Haha. Luckily it was cherry shrimp, but it was back when there was barely any Crystals around so they were not cheap. Silly mistake Haha.

I dont know enough about Gourami, so they may be okay with them without much issue But there is never not an excuse for another tank

Stop encouraging me! Already looking at a fluval edge...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast