Thread: To Keep my Pond Cooler

Default To Keep my Pond Cooler

Hello, new to the group but having a wonderful time browsing posts!

My newish pond has been getting sun approx. 11hrs/day and I'm just wondering if we should cover it with a shade sail?? We have a 98% shade sail. Just wondering if that would produce too much shade or be okay?? I'm in west Gippsland Victoria.

Also how do I add photos here??

Glynnis

Hi Glynnis,

I cannot help you with your pond but for uploading photos I like to use imgur.com.

Firstly, make an account, upload your photo and it will provide links for different purposes. There should be a link for 'forums', copy and paste that when posting on forums.

I like imgur because if you have the app on your phone you can upload it directly from your phone gallery. This bypasses the need to plug in your device to copy photos onto a PC

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    Hi Glynnis,

I cannot help you with your pond but for uploading photos I like to use imgur.com.

Firstly, make an account, upload your photo and it will provide links for different purposes. There should be a link for 'forums', copy and paste that when posting on forums.

I like imgur because if you have the app on your phone you can upload it directly from your phone gallery. This bypasses the need to plug in your device to copy photos onto a PC
    Thanks for that! I'm a bit behind using my phone for anything but calls and texts but will certainly go and have a look.

Hi Glynnis. Welcome to AL

To cover or not to cover depends entirely on what you have in the pond. Plants, No plants, Native fish, goldfish, Koi etc. How hot does it get, is it deep, is there good circulation, filtered or un filtered.
    Basically plants, and algae, love the sun. If you do not have it heavily planted then algae will use the light to grow like mad. A lot of plants growing in a pond look good and can also cover or protect the water from getting to hot as well as taking up the excess nutrients so algae does not become a big problem. A 95% shade might be to much of a reduction for some of the plants making them struggle and become leggy. It will reduce the nutrient uptake also.
    Most native fish can handle the extreme temp changes we get here in Australia although you dont want to cook them. If the pond is getting above 30 deg C then it may require some shading in the hottest parts of the day. Goldfish, Koi and some other colourful pond fish are actually cold water fish that prefer and thrive in 20 deg C or less. A deep pond helps a lot with this.

So basically if it gets to hot for your livestock then shade it and deal with less plant growth. If the temp is ok then plant it and dont worry about the shade.
    Oh you can pick up a digital thermometer with a fairly long (60cm) probe for about $10 or so from most pet supply shops and use that to get the temp from the surface, middle and bottom.

I use Flickr for my photo's and there is a sticky on how to post photo's either in the beginners section or the photography one. Cant remember where.
    Last edited by Madmerv; 28-12-17 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Add some info