Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rescaping a tank questions

Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rFly View Post
    According to Cal Aqua, Black Earth will leech 0 ammonia...find that hard to believe.
    they lie haha, I used black earth in my 45p tank, it pushed ammonia over 5ppm when I flooded the tank, its also turned the water green, I recently added some more to the tank when i did a small rescape (removed the big rock) and the water turned green again (tho not as bad, only added about 500ml of soil)

Quote Originally Posted by Sup3rFly View Post
    When you rescaped did you not change the substrate and added the fish back to existing substrate ?
    Have done both methods, last rescape (of my bookshelf tank) pull the plants then transfered all the fish to a bucket filled with tank water, added the filter to the bucket and fully cleaned out the old soil and washed the tank down with bleach.

Also have tried to rescape with fish and plants in the tank... was a pain, I guess it depends how much of a rescape you are doing but IMO its easier just to remove the fish so you have more time to plan and execute a rescape without worrying about the health of the fish.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 14-12-17 at 11:38 AM.

double post... sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    they lie haha, I used black earth in my 45p tank, it pushed ammonia over 5ppm when I flooded the tank, its also turned the water green, I recently added some more to the tank when i did a small rescape (removed the big rock) and the water turned green again (tho not as bad, only added about 500ml of soil)

Have done both methods, last rescape (of my bookshelf tank) pull the plants then transfered all the fish to a bucket filled with tank water, added the filter to the bucket and fully cleaned out the old soil and washed the tank down with bleach.

Also have tried to rescape with fish and plants in the tank... was a pain, I guess it depends how much of a rescape you are doing but IMO its easier just to remove the fish so you have more time to plan and execute a rescape without worrying about the health of the fish.
    I use black earth in my other tank, ammonia went high, but wasn't certain was substrate as it was cycling, but till this day, the water sometimes has a green tinge to it. Now i know it's from the substrate. Thanks for that confirmation haha.

Thanks for that info as well. I think ill go with adding substrate to another container and change water for a week until no ammonia. Sounds like the safest way so far.

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it!

so ive just read that with black earth it turn the water slightly green, what have you guys done to deal with promblem? since atm my water is abit green... did water change and its come back green again and again and again...

thanks
    shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried.

Uv or purigen. Former is good for green water blooms and the latter for just staining of water by aquasoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Uv or purigen. Former is good for green water blooms and the latter for just staining of water by aquasoil.
    Yes Purigen does the trick, I have seen on this forum and facebook many tanks with the green tinge water, all things in common is they are new tanks (6 months old or so) and all used Cal Aqua Black Earth... wonder if its something to do with a new batch, I know it has been used a lot in the past and never read ppl having this issue.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 15-12-17 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Yes Purigen does the trick, I have seen on this forum and facebook many tanks with the green tinge water, all things in common is they are new tanks (6 months old or so) and all used Cal Aqua Black Earth... wonder if its something to do with a new batch, I know it has been used a lot in the past and never read ppl having this issue.
    Yeah, looks like it may be caused by a newer batch, my substrate arrived yesterday and this was from another supplier, so will be interesting to see if this one goes green as well. Will keep you updated.

My other tank is just over 6 months old and the green is nearly gone, haven't bothered with purigen yet (using a bag of API Biochem Zorb), it's not really that bad. When the light is on you can't even tell.
    Last edited by Sup3rFly; 21-12-17 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

Update:

Just incase someone is following this...this is black earth after 48hrs in a container - Just changed the water, see how much there is in another 24/48hrs.

2 weeks on and the ammonia (.25-.50) is still present but a lot less. Considering leaving it another week and then doing the change. Thoughts?

I would wait until most of the ammonia is gone before adding the substrate into the tank. Wait until the test turns yellow or in between 0 and 0.25ppm. Keep up with the water changes and it will eventually get better and stop leeching ammonia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12