Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MML Chihiros is here

Default MML Chihiros is here

Well we are always innovating and saw the need for a low cost medium output ultraslim series with horizontally and vertically adjustable brackets. Perfect for nanos and planted/community aquariums no deeper than 45cm. See pics below. We'll be manufacturing these in around a week and full details will be on the website at that time. Only 1cm high, 10cm wide, IP65 waterproof and packed with colour tunable leds. Available in 30cm, 60cm and 90cm, brackets can stretch to fit larger tanks. Locally made, out performs Chihiros and priced under

mml_chihiros.jpg

Definitely looking forward to more information about these lights. The chihiros seem to be the best bang for buck light since it's good and cheap. Hopefully MML version are better

You will have a sale here when they come out for the low light community tanks.

Some people on the forum had good experience with lights, but sadly I cannot say the same about mine.

I wish not only the price went down, but also customer service and build quality went up.

I am sharing this story, so the other forum members have a chance to make an informed decision, not because I want to rant about MakeMyLed.

I ordered two freshwater tubes, one RGB tube, an auto controller, brackets, and a Meanwell power supply on 17 February 2016. A friend of mine shared a code that gave me a good discount. Fred accepted the code but pointed out that it belongs to his regular customer. I did not want to behave obnoxiously and unfairly (especially after Fred answered quite a lot of questions before I put my order), so I paid the difference between the regular price and the discounted price.

I received the lights on 24 February 2016, but due to a packaging error I got a generic power supply. I contacted Fred and he promised to send me a Meanwell supply once they have them in stock, likely before the end of the week.

Four weeks later, on 21 March 2016, I sent a follow up email about the power supply. Fred promptly replayed, apologised for the delay, and explained that he had forgotten about me. He also promised to send the power supply in the morning.

I received the Meanwell power supply on 28 March 2016, and returned the generic one on 29 March 2016. The MakeMyLed team did not offer to reimburse return shipping fees, but luckily I paid for the lights via PayPal, so I was able to recover postage expenses.

Due to personal reasons I set up lights on 5 June 2016 and noticed a whining noise when the lamps are switched on. Fred suggested cutting an extension cable and putting it between the power supply and the controller. This trick did not help, and I let him know. Fred stopped responding after that.

I contacted Meanwell directly and they suggested trying different dimming levels. Turned out the power supply is inaudible when the lights are switched off, or at 100% output. If the dimming level is in between – the power supply produces a whining noise. The Meanwell team explained that the auto controller switches the power to the LEDs on and off at about 300Hz. The power supply is therefore switches between no load and full load at this frequency. Each time the load on the supply is switched on and off, the supply gives a little click as the current is switched through the coils. This is repeated 300 times a seconds, which is why it is audible. I also asked if on and off iterations would shorten the power supply’s life, and the answer was – theoretically they could, but the team could not provide any firm data on this.

On 8 November 2017, one of two sections of a freshwater tube failed. I checked all connections, tried different modes, but it did not help. I found that Rebel and Indir had a similar issue, so I assume it is build quality, and not a heat issue - mine tubes are not installed into a hood, but still failed after 1.5 years only. I had sent an email to info@makemyled.com.au on the same day, but had not heard anything from them since then.

Paying a premium price you are not guaranteed neither a good quality product nor good customer service.
    Last edited by Neon Tetra; 13-12-17 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Tetra View Post
    Some people on the forum had good experience with lights, but sadly I cannot say the same about mine
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience Neon, we do receive an enormous amount of email and do occasionally drop the ball and lose a thread, only human I personally don't recall the conversation or the issue you had back in 2016 but I did look back at the 8th Nov 2017 and cannot see an email from you in our info@makemyled.com.au inbox, nor in spam or junk, please send again and we'll attend to it. We do strive to provide the best possible service and customer experience but if we don't respond feel free to hassle us, we have also recently added webchat, smschat and whatsapp chat on the website to further improve comms and provide a more real time communication.

Re the section failing on your tube, we have had cases of segments (bank of 6 leds) failing on our older XB1 boards (the ones with the on-board driver wired to the segment), these have generally been moisture and heat related issues though but some were where the tube has been knocked or dropped and the driver had dislodged, and some were the driver itself being faulty, however less than 1% were due to faulty parts or build quality which is a pretty good record compared to the many other brands out there.

Our new XB2 boards were designed to deal with the 1% failures so as to avoid additional costs to us and inconvenience to the customer they are proving an absolute winner, look great, fit inside the tube much easier, perform better and can handle a beating, they will be our standard offering for a long time to come.

pcbxb2jpg.jpg

So Neon send us an email or hook up a chat session and we'll get you sorted, yes your tubes can be repaired and we can also asses the cause of the problem for you, we operate on a "fair use" policy for repairs and often do free repairs outside of the warranty window if it's clearly a faulty component or workmanship.

$ are precious to everyone and I'd just like to throw in that we are actually the cheapest vendor in the power led class and plan to keep it that way

Cheers, Fred
    Last edited by makemyled; 13-12-17 at 04:42 PM.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your prompt replay!

Quote Originally Posted by makemyled View Post
    We do receive an enormous amount of email and do occasionally drop the ball and lose a thread, only human We do strive to provide the best possible service and customer experience but if we don't respond feel free to hassle us, we have also recently added webchat, smschat and whatsapp chat on the website to further improve comms and provide a more real time communication.
    It would not frustrate me as much if you had a system for tracking customer requests (zendesk for example), where you can see your requests' status, comments, etc. In a such case the whole process would be more transparent for customers.

Our new XB2 boards were designed to deal with the 1% failures so as to avoid additional costs to us and inconvenience to the customer they are proving an absolute winner, look great, fit inside the tube much easier, perform better and can handle a beating, they will be our standard offering for a long time to come.
    Looks like the LED driver is embedded into the new XB2 board. Would it make tubes harder to repair?

The previous generation had a standalone LED driver. When the driver failed, it required to solder a couple of wires to fix it.
    However, when the new tube failed, it required to replace the whole board and resolder LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Tetra View Post
    Looks like the LED driver is embedded into the new XB2 board. Would it make tubes harder to repair?

The previous generation had a standalone LED driver. When the driver failed, it required to solder a couple of wires to fix it.
    However, when the new tube failed, it required to replace the whole board and resolder LEDs.
    The concept behind XB2 is to be more robust in the first place so that repairs are not required, but we do keep all the individual components of the driver in stock e.g. capacitors, IC Chip, Inductor etc and they can be replaced if required.

Back on topic, the release of this light is great timing for me as I'm setting up an ADA 60P tank very soon!

Couple of questions?
    1. Does it come with a hanging kit, or at least have some kind of attachment/eyelet to permit a DIY hanging alternative?
    2. Will you be offering it in different colours (silver)?

No doubt all of the technical details will be released soon

Is it colour tunable with one cable coming off the light?

Also would be keen to see what LED ratios you have decided for this one.

If you have RGB colours, then you are competing with the Chihiro RGB. With the very good prices of Chihiro A series, curious to see what you can come up with! I didn't think you could get a lower price including the power supply and dimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Is it colour tunable with one cable coming off the light?

Also would be keen to see what LED ratios you have decided for this one.

If you have RGB colours, then you are competing with the Chihiro RGB. With the very good prices of Chihiro A series, curious to see what you can come up with! I didn't think you could get a lower price including the power supply and dimmer.
    The mml chihiros will be a cross between the a series and rgb series, one cable coming out, leds 6500k cool White + rgb, 4 channel control. Like chihiros though it doesn't compete with the xb2 style power leds, horses for courses.

Any updates here MML? Need lighting for the rack...

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Any updates here MML? Need lighting for the rack...
    As usual there's always one or two components that lag behind in bringing a new product together, we are currently waiting on cables and custom shipping boxes. Although we have no control over the timing I would expect both to arrive in a week.

MML, do these come with a hanging kit? Some additional info while we wait would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by pleco4me View Post
    MML, do these come with a hanging kit? Some additional info while we wait would be awesome
    They will come with a choice of 2 bracket styles, the horizontal+vertical adjustable type with an acrylic base as shown in the picture at the start of this thread and we'll also be offering a simpler cheaper stainless steel horizontal only type for those that don't need height adjustable and want to save even more $. No hanging kit though because these have medium powered leds like Chihiros and are not designed to be further away from the water than the brackets provide for, if you mount too high you'll be disappointed with the result because the light will spread too wide. Having said that you could easily attach our panel hang kit to the stainless steel brackets and still end up with a nice looking fixture if you really needed to do this. If you want to hang you maybe should be looking at our XB2 range which are designed to go the extra distance.

Each light will come with a choice of 2 bracket styles, 24V power pack and a 4 channel controller, Wifi and Auto controllers are optional extras. Available in 30cm, 60, 90cm, around 18W per 30cm, IP65 waterproof, single cable and with a toughened tempered glass panel. We decided not to go longer than 90cm because most tanks larger than 90cm tend to be deeper and wider and would probably need a higher powered XB2 style light. We would consider 120cm and longer if there is demand for it though.

They will come with a choice of 2 bracket styles, the horizontal+vertical adjustable type with an acrylic base as shown in the picture at the start of this thread and we'll also be offering a simpler cheaper stainless steel horizontal only type for those that don't need height adjustable and want to save even more $. No hanging kit though because these have medium powered leds like Chihiros and are not designed to be further away from the water than the brackets provide for, if you mount too high you'll be disappointed with the result because the light will spread too wide. Having said that you could easily attach our panel hang kit to the stainless steel brackets and still end up with a nice looking fixture if you really needed to do this. If you want to hang you maybe should be looking at our XB2 range which are designed to go the extra distance.

Each light will come with a choice of 2 bracket styles, 24V power pack and a 4 channel controller, Wifi and Auto controllers are optional extras. Available in 30cm, 60, 90cm, around 18W per 30cm, IP65 waterproof, single cable and with a toughened tempered glass panel. We decided not to go longer than 90cm because most tanks larger than 90cm tend to be deeper and wider and would probably need a higher powered XB2 style light. We would consider 120cm and longer if there is demand for it though.
    Good to know that the panel hang kit will be compatible. I find the chunkier looking legs a bit of an eyesore for open top/rimless tanks, so would prefer to have it hanging nicely from above

Is it possible to get a custom colour, like silver, or will black be the only option available?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast