Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MML Chihiros is here

Quote Originally Posted by Madmerv View Post
    You will have a sale here when they come out for the low light community tanks.
    True to my word, and due to both my tubes blowing in the same week, i have ordered mine.

Show us the goods when you receive them.

Keen to see the build quality etc. [ I am sure it will be fine ]
    Last edited by Rebel; 20-02-18 at 10:33 AM.

Got mine this week!
    Going to bunnings tonight to buy some Connect-It to build stand to hang the light from.

Will post my review and update on my cube tank post once completed

Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    Got mine this week!
    Going to bunnings tonight to buy some Connect-It to build stand to hang the light from.

Will post my review and update on my cube tank post once completed
    Looking forward to your review. I am interested in one as well.

New MML Chihiros light is here, bit of a late update, its still not on the tank as I need to hang it!
    Design is tidy, unit looks very sleek and i'm loving the satin black look that it has.

Will provide updates on light quality once I have the light up and running!

But for now... here are a few pictures:

Looks good, how does one hang these? i.e. how does the hanging kit mount to the panel?

The build quality looks very good. I am also looking to buy one soon.

Let us know how you find the light intensity and heat output when you get it set up.

Hi Fred.

Just have a few questions about these Chihiros type light.

1. Do you have any information about the lumens for each size light?

2. If we don't purchase any metal stand then the light just sits on top of the tank? There are no legs included unless purchased separately?

3. Are the brightness similar to the older RGBW tubes or would you say these are brighter? These lights are 5 rows of 45 leds for the 90cm version. I am not sure how much the 90cm RGBW had since i don't own one anymore.

Looking to pick one up soon. They look pretty good too

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    Hi Fred.

Just have a few questions about these Chihiros type light.

1. Do you have any information about the lumens for each size light?

2. If we don't purchase any metal stand then the light just sits on top of the tank? There are no legs included unless purchased separately?

3. Are the brightness similar to the older RGBW tubes or would you say these are brighter? These lights are 5 rows of 45 leds for the 90cm version. I am not sure how much the 90cm RGBW had since i don't own one anymore.

Looking to pick one up soon. They look pretty good too
    So I get asked about lumens a lot, many light manufacturers quote it but it is actually a very misleading and meaningless spec and often used to deceive. e.g. lets say a 30cm light puts out 1000 lumens, this would mean a 60cm light would put out 2000 lumens and the buyer thinks this is a brighter light than the 30cm one but it's exactly the same brightness, just for a longer tank. PAR on the other hand can't be used deceptively because it stays constant regardless of the light length and varies according to depth, a very meaningfull spec when you're trying to judge whether a light will do the job.

To answer your question though, our MML Chihiros style panels put out around 1500 lumens per foot, twice the output of a rgbw tube of the same length.

We made all the mounting choices optional so yes if you don't choose one you just get a panel with no legs and it would sit on top of the tank, we will however be shipping units out from now on with a set of 4 felt pads for glass top mounting.

Yes they are very sleek units with top shelf fittings too, all metal, IP65 waterproof and has a tempered glass splash guard instead of the traditional plastic splash guard which can discolor and warp over time.

Thanks for the information Fred.

These lights will do the job for me. Brighter than the RGBW which is plenty for my low tech tank.

I like how wide the unit actually is. 5 rows compared to the Chihiros A-series that only use 3 rows unless you pay a lot more for the A-series plus. The bonus with the MML version is the ability to add colour which is what the Chihiros A-series lacks unless you pay outrageous money for the RGB Chihiros.

Will most likely place my order in the next week or so.

The build quality looks very good. I am also looking to buy one soon.

Let us know how you find the light intensity and heat output when you get it set up.
    Light intensity seems decent, I haven't placed it over the tank just yet as i've been working on a hanging stand for my tank to sit on ans the light to hang off, though my 2ft light at the same height from the table is almost the same intensity.

The heat output isnt bad at all, I had the light on while on the hanger for about 30mins and it was... Luke Warm (sorry punny, my names luke as per username hahaha)

I'd like to also point out that this light doesn't have flimsy plastic protecting the LED's also, the tempered glass holds the heat a little but nothing major. I'm definitely happy with my purchase thats for sure.

The next light will be a panel for my 4ft tank for sure.

Thanks Luked.

Is that the stand you are working on? It looks great

I will place my order soon but i will order the horizontal & vertical stand with it.

Have you played around with the remote yet? Can you change the light intensity of each individual row of leds?

Thanks Luked.

Is that the stand you are working on? It looks great

I will place my order soon but i will order the horizontal & vertical stand with it.

Have you played around with the remote yet? Can you change the light intensity of each individual row of leds?
    Sure is Monty, the tank will sit on those two legs, so its self supported.
    Currently the tank is raised on 4 corner legs (by design) so this method shouldn't be an issue as it will have even more surface area support.

I wanted something that stood out a little, so once I build the tall tank stand, this will all sit neatly within.

The remote has many different modes and intensities, though no capability to change each individual row.
    I had a bit of a chuckle when I found the strobe light mode. Thought to myself that the shrimp can have a rave.

But there is multiple combinations and modes to suit.

For the price I paid delivered with a hanging kit, i am more than happy.
    I dont think you could buy anything of this quality for cheaper.

Very well done indeed! Once the tank is in it will look very nice.

I'm not sure if i'll opt for the remote. I might stick with standard dimmer since i have that on my Chihiros A-series and it does the job.

Yeah for the price the quality and value is great. Can't wait to finally order mine.

Keep us updated on your progress/experience with this light.

I just placed my order. 1 x 90cm model B with the 3 white rows and the blue and red row.

I kept the standard dimmer and chose the vertical/horizontal bracket.

Hopefully get it next week and can give my impressions/review.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast