Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How necessary and easy is CO2?

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    spot on.

some may disagree, but i think injecting CO2 is the single easiest thing you can do to control algae and have your plants thrive in a new tank.

in fact i would challenge that many experienced planted tank keepers who use CO2 would fail without it.
    very true that CO2 injection would be the single easiest action to take in order to increase plant growth and decrease algae...

however to get as close to an algae free tank as possible i think you need a balance of light, Ferts and CO2.

Everyone already has light and if CO2 is added would allow plants to stop their CO2 seeking activites and put this extra energy towards plant growth. If ferts are neglected though, this will end up as your bottleneck and be the limiting factor in plant growth rates, which is important to increase plant mass.

A larger plant mass to outcompete algae for nutrients and an effective clean up crew will take care of the bit of algae that does grow. Other important factors are regular water changes to remove algae spores and good water flow around the tank to ensure CO2 and nutrients are spread more evenly to all plants in the tank.

I agree with Rebel also, in saying dont go super cheap with your equipment and get the best you can afford. The aim is to buy this once to save money and allow for the CO2 to operate as consintently as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Thanks Monty, I'll keep on the look out to pick up some deals!
    Hi KRL, I was in your shoes not long ago. Doing research in internet could be quite overwhelming, so after doing my part I decided to go to my LFS and get a good explanation from them. They were not pushing sales, they did a great job at explaining everything and what elements are needed. They recommended Wyin as a good all-round system (which they use on their 4-5 display tanks, which look amazing btw). As I said, they had more expensive equipment in the shop but they understood my needs and recommended that one (again, that's the system they use):

https://www.aquaristiconline.com.au/...dbubblecounter

You can find it way cheaper on ebay if you have the patience to wait. I did not end up buying that one because another guy was shutting down his tank and I bought his setup instead, but that was my first option.

Also, look what cylinders your LFS work with (swapn'go), would make it easier to get your bottles refill (just go and pay for a refill, they will give you a full cylinder).

Also here is a non-co2 aquarium to answer the question is CO2 necessary?

https://youtu.be/MLtQGShV6aA
    Last edited by Rebel; 30-11-17 at 12:50 PM.

I reckon everyone who's looking at starting CO2 gets nervous, I know I certainly was. As people have said, if you can pay for a better install you'll have greater peace of mind. Years ago, Tunze was a common regulator of choice combined with a GHL? solenoid and it wasn't cheap, but in five - six years I've never had an issue (although that doesn't include when the Mrs found out).

Glute was also mentioned and I'm a big fan. These days I find I can't get enough carbon into the water through CO2 (~600L heavily planted tank) and I use Dave's Dino Spit in conjunction with CO2 injection. Whilst I've bought the hardware to run a second inline reactor, I get great results with the combo and can't justify the effort of the install.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    very true that CO2 injection would be the single easiest action to take in order to increase plant growth and decrease algae...

however to get as close to an algae free tank as possible i think you need a balance of light, Ferts and CO2.

Everyone already has light and if CO2 is added would allow plants to stop their CO2 seeking activites and put this extra energy towards plant growth. If ferts are neglected though, this will end up as your bottleneck and be the limiting factor in plant growth rates, which is important to increase plant mass.

A larger plant mass to outcompete algae for nutrients and an effective clean up crew will take care of the bit of algae that does grow. Other important factors are regular water changes to remove algae spores and good water flow around the tank to ensure CO2 and nutrients are spread more evenly to all plants in the tank.

I agree with Rebel also, in saying dont go super cheap with your equipment and get the best you can afford. The aim is to buy this once to save money and allow for the CO2 to operate as consintently as possible.
    Thanks so much for this! I've only really just gotten into ferts, so hopefully that will make some difference as well! I do have a fair bit of plant in the tank, but maybe adding something faster growing will benefit down the track. I'll see how I go with the ferts and go from there!

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Hi KRL, I was in your shoes not long ago. Doing research in internet could be quite overwhelming, so after doing my part I decided to go to my LFS and get a good explanation from them. They were not pushing sales, they did a great job at explaining everything and what elements are needed. They recommended Wyin as a good all-round system (which they use on their 4-5 display tanks, which look amazing btw). As I said, they had more expensive equipment in the shop but they understood my needs and recommended that one (again, that's the system they use):

https://www.aquaristiconline.com.au/...dbubblecounter

You can find it way cheaper on ebay if you have the patience to wait. I did not end up buying that one because another guy was shutting down his tank and I bought his setup instead, but that was my first option.

Also, look what cylinders your LFS work with (swapn'go), would make it easier to get your bottles refill (just go and pay for a refill, they will give you a full cylinder).
    Thanks so much! I had seen the Wyin in my googling and thought it looked pretty good. It's not as excessively expensive as some I've seen. I'm too scared to go cheap ebay knockoff though haha. I'll have to go visit a couple of my LFS and see what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinConnection View Post
    I reckon everyone who's looking at starting CO2 gets nervous, I know I certainly was. As people have said, if you can pay for a better install you'll have greater peace of mind. Years ago, Tunze was a common regulator of choice combined with a GHL? solenoid and it wasn't cheap, but in five - six years I've never had an issue (although that doesn't include when the Mrs found out).

Glute was also mentioned and I'm a big fan. These days I find I can't get enough carbon into the water through CO2 (~600L heavily planted tank) and I use Dave's Dino Spit in conjunction with CO2 injection. Whilst I've bought the hardware to run a second inline reactor, I get great results with the combo and can't justify the effort of the install.
    Thanks! I'll look into Tunze and Glute! Sounds like a cracker of a tank! Hope the mrs is appreciating it now haha

And Rebel thats an amazing tank! Thanks for that, it is comforting haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12