Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How necessary and easy is CO2?

Default How necessary and easy is CO2?

Hi everyone

I currently run a low tech planted tank which is 70L, but I'm planning on upgrading it to a 170L tank in the new year. With the upgrade, I was thinking I'd try more exciting/varied plants. Is CO2 going to be a necessity? If so, any tips for set up and ideas on where to get a reasonably priced kit in Brisbane (or online)?

Thanks!

Hey KRL,

CO2 injection is going to be helpful in any planted tank. I tried it with my low tech tank with success.

If you are going to try more demanding plants that require higher lighting and ferts then yes you will need CO2 injection. But if you decide to keep the standard plants (mosses, java ferns and anubias, etc) then you won't need it.

Also CO2 can get crazy expensive! The biggest expense would be the CO2 regulator followed by the CO2 cylinder. You will also need a solenoid and a good diffuser so you don't waste any CO2. Co2 proof tubing, check valves and bubble counters also need to be purchased. Maybe up to $400 for a good system or you can buy some used CO2 gear from members here on the forum.

I believe a user Rebel posted a thread a while ago on the best CO2 system with good quality gear. Try and search for that thread.

Also put up a wanted thread on the buy section of the forum to ask other members for their gear.

Hope this helps

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...t=co2+ultimate

I might re-write this one at some stage but things haven't really changed that much tho.

Thanks Monty!

I was thinking if I started using CO2, my plants would grow better and therefore less algae (I am sick of algae...). My plants arent dying, but they seem to be growing very slowly.

Is a kit like this any good? http://www.sydneydiscusworld.com/dic...t-starter-kit/
    I had been looking around to buy all the bits separately but the whole shebang seems pretty exy.

Thanks for the link Rebel! I had done a quick search before I posted but I was probably not using the right key words.

If algae is the problem, reduce light , increase planting density, increase your water changes, increase flow, add algae eaters and fertilise the tank accordingly. CO2 won't 'necessarily' solve an algae issue.

Thanks for the tips! I know it wont solve the problem but it might make my plants more competitive for nutrients. Any tips on algae eaters? I have RCS and a siamese algae eater at the moment

Yes, best ones are otos, Nerite snails, Darwin shrimp. Maybe open another thread with tank pics for us to see which type of algae.

https://www.greenaqua.hu/en/alga-tajekoztato

Cheers, will do!

Any thoughts on the CO2 kit I linked?

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    I was thinking if I started using CO2, my plants would grow better and therefore less algae (I am sick of algae...). My plants arent dying, but they seem to be growing very slowly.
    spot on.

some may disagree, but i think injecting CO2 is the single easiest thing you can do to control algae and have your plants thrive in a new tank.

in fact i would challenge that many experienced planted tank keepers who use CO2 would fail without it.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Thanks PiL! Glad to know my understanding wasnt way off

Anyone have any opinions on these kits:
    http://www.sydneydiscusworld.com/dic...t-starter-kit/ or the kit up from that (http://www.sydneydiscusworld.com/dic...ion-package-2/)
    or
    http://www.aquascapedesign.com.au/pr...fied-Cylinder-

Or have any recommendations for other kits?

Not sure about those kits but with co2, my advice is to buy once.

I agree that co2 is absolutely essential for classy planted tanks. Non CO2 can be very successful but requires alot of patience/luck or expertise.

I feel that Glutaraldehyde gets a bad rap. Used sensibly it is a fuss-free alternative to CO2 in gaseous form.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Thanks PiL! Glad to know my understanding wasnt way off

Anyone have any opinions on these kits:
    http://www.sydneydiscusworld.com/dic...t-starter-kit/ or the kit up from that (http://www.sydneydiscusworld.com/dic...ion-package-2/)
    or
    http://www.aquascapedesign.com.au/pr...fied-Cylinder-

Or have any recommendations for other kits?
    I don't know about those kits. The Aquascapedesign one has the kegking 2.6kg cylinder which is the recommended cylinder to buy.

The link Rebel linked talks about the regulator and solenoid choices. Previously on the forum there was a Tunze CO2 regulator that was quite good sold by Age of Aquariums. I don't think that came with a solenoid though. CO2art.co.uk also have good reviews on their CO2 regulators. However they have released new ones so i am not sure on the quality as compared to the old one's.

In terms of everything else i would recommend buy it all separately instead of a package. You can find any bubble counter on eBay as well as CO2 proof tubing. Get yourself a drop checker and solution also on eBay. You can also get some stainless steel check valves again on eBay.

So yeah best to buy each item separately as you find deals on things online or buy it cheaply from other members when they sell their CO2 equipment.

I paid only $150 all up for my CO2 equipment cause i wanted to keep it cheap. I bought a 1L up aqua CO2 bottle for $55 (won't last very long in a big tank with high CO2 injection), Aqua labs co2 regulator with camozzi needle valve, diffusion via hagen elite mini filter method and all the other accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    I feel that Glutaraldehyde gets a bad rap. Used sensibly it is a fuss-free alternative to CO2 in gaseous form.
    I should really be the one to promote it since I seem to sell it also. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    I don't know about those kits. The Aquascapedesign one has the kegking 2.6kg cylinder which is the recommended cylinder to buy.

The link Rebel linked talks about the regulator and solenoid choices. Previously on the forum there was a Tunze CO2 regulator that was quite good sold by Age of Aquariums. I don't think that came with a solenoid though. CO2art.co.uk also have good reviews on their CO2 regulators. However they have released new ones so i am not sure on the quality as compared to the old one's.

In terms of everything else i would recommend buy it all separately instead of a package. You can find any bubble counter on eBay as well as CO2 proof tubing. Get yourself a drop checker and solution also on eBay. You can also get some stainless steel check valves again on eBay.

So yeah best to buy each item separately as you find deals on things online or buy it cheaply from other members when they sell their CO2 equipment.

I paid only $150 all up for my CO2 equipment cause i wanted to keep it cheap. I bought a 1L up aqua CO2 bottle for $55 (won't last very long in a big tank with high CO2 injection), Aqua labs co2 regulator with camozzi needle valve, diffusion via hagen elite mini filter method and all the other accessories.
    Thanks Monty, I'll keep on the look out to pick up some deals!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast