Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying new things - 60x45x45

Five chocolate gouramis on a (yet) another 60x45x45 ��
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BckPhgxAxTt/

they have/had a stack of choc gouramis at allfish2u out in the 'riff

i would love to have these but they are predators so dont really mix with shrimp.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Juris Mit JS had an Instagram tank with shrimp and Chocs but I reckon it was just for show.

Update:
    - Cleaning and trimming day:
    The Ludwigia had like 3cm above the water level. This plan loves a medium light, it will go red in no time. It will also go green in a matter of minutes if the lighting is not enough. I gave it a good trim and planted on the bottom right, as I had spare room there. My guess is it will go greener, but also keen to see how it does with the substrate nutrients (not that it really needs it). It's still looking really tall, so will give it a couple of weeks before trimming it again.

I also trimmed the mosses, they were brownish when they first started melting, so hopefully this will induce a better and nicer grow.

Something happened to my trident...I moved it to the main wood section and after a few days, the area in contact with the wood fungus had develop some sort of fungus too...as a consequence, half of the trident is now gone I've removed most of the affected leaves and I hope it will re-grow again (needle leaf is also showing some symptoms).

- Fish: I added the 5 embers and 3 pygmy cories from my shrimp tank to this one. They have all settled in quite well, but they struggle getting food...the rummy-nose are just absolute beasts eating! The 3 cories do school with the rummy-nose...so my school of black and grey fish is now bigger...fail haha

I don't think I will add anymore fish for now. Will hold back on new additions, my options are still between Choc Gouramis (tho I read they don't like big water changes...) and a pair of apistos.

- I bought a glass inflow pipe with skimmer, just patiently waiting for it

Before the trimming

Big trim

After (uops, just noticed the trident went for a swim...)

Looking very nice, and the embers have coloured up really well.

I will try update the thread this weekend. I'm struggling with algae atm, but I think Pil found the issue
    In the meantime, here's a poor and short vid of the tank I did last week.

I really like this tank and well done with the scape. It will get better as plants fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by JAL View Post
    I really like this tank and well done with the scape. It will get better as plants fill in.
    Thanks JAL!

Update: I'm having some issues with algae. Turns out I was over dosing fertilisers (All-in-one from LCA). Since Pil told me, I've done a couple of big water changes, and lowered light intensity and raised the height. I got around 25 NQAS in there too, and they're loving the salad buffet. I can't believe how active and chill they are, nothing compared to the few shy cherries and yellows I have in there too.

I added Blyxa (thanks insipid!) and did a big trim of Ludwigia and moved it to the back. I also trimmed the AR and filled the front row with them.

Algae everywhere...but the shrimps are happy and the ottos are fat...

Before and after the trimming.

Side view, before and after.

Trimmed AR, hydrocotyle filling everything and some mosses:

Thanks for watching!
    Last edited by DDM; 12-01-18 at 03:49 PM.

Wow! Stunning!

I really like the rummy's in this tank.

I use one of those skimmers too, they're great aren't they

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    Wow! Stunning!

I really like the rummy's in this tank.

I use one of those skimmers too, they're great aren't they
    Thanks! Yeah, I love it although, the bottom part (flow regulator) felt while I was cleaning the tank, and took me a lot of effort and a strong but gentle push to make it fit again! haha I struggled xD

Update: Most hair algae is gone thanks to water changes, less ferts, decreasing light intensity and the NQAS. Now that's under control, and light intensity is back, now I have to fight BBA...I'll have a read around the forum, see what your secrets to fight it are, but any tips you might have are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Update: Most hair algae is gone thanks to water changes, less ferts, decreasing light intensity and the NQAS. Now that's under control, and light intensity is back, now I have to fight BBA...I'll have a read around the forum, see what your secrets to fight it are, but any tips you might have are welcome
    I use 50% h2o2, never had luck with the 3% stuff you can get at supermarkets, just squirt a few ml on the effected areas and it will die within a few days.

Be careful around moss and fiss. It'll melt too.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Cheers guys, I'll have a read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    Be careful around moss and fiss. It'll melt too.
    How about plants? Most of my ferns are covered on it too...

A month since the last update, this is what I've been (fighting) up to.

Yesterday was a good time for a cleaning as I just came back from a 10 days trip I did for work. I wish I had more time for cleaning tho!

1) Since last month, BBA grew really fast but I managed to keep it under control. I did water changes every 5 days, dropped fertilising even more and lowered light so it's closer to the surface and a bit stronger now. As a result, BBA isn't growing anymore, but I just needed to get rid of what it was currently there so, yesterday I pulled out the driftwood that was affected by BBA and dropped Continium Fraction on it (which gave me good results on small test I've done previously). I also bought a SAE a couple of weeks ago (more on him later...) to help with algae and BBA, he seems happy

Before the cleaning/treatment:

And the after - it should die off soon and the shrimps/sae will take care of it:

2) Second thing I'm fighting in this tank...turns out I now have Hydra! I came back from my trip to what you can see on the picture below...They were settled in 2 different spots, there near the wood and the water flow, but also behind a stone (very little flow). I even saw them riding a pond snail...WTF! I wish I had a picture, was hilarious (tears of joy..). Anyway, I scraped them and siphoned them out...or the best I could, but I'm sure there are still heaps around...Anyone has had experience with it before? are they as hard to get rid of as planaria? Is it possible the Hydra came somehow (spores?) with the SAE? I bought him a week before I left for my trip so it's the only thing I could think of...or does hydra just shows up 'out of the blue' like planaria?

All and all, I'm having fun with this messy tank
    Last edited by DDM; 20-02-18 at 04:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast