Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying new things - 60x45x45

Lightbulb Trying new things - 60x45x45

Hi all,

I've set up a new tank and thought I'd share my suffering with you I'm trying a lot of new things with this tank. For starters, I've never had a tank 'that big'. I first had a 28L and now a 35cm cube. With the bigger tank, comes a lot of new other things to me: canister filter, inline heater, proper lights, etc. I'm also adding co2, using amazonia for the first time and trying new planting techniques (stocking, glue). Looks like nothing important for the savvy, but for me is very challenging trying all these new things and I'm loving it

I wanted something not too complicated to maintain, I had enough of trimming carpet and stem plants before. So I decided to go with some sort of island. I needed to give some height to the scape so a friend recommended me using women stocking to contain the Amazonia (this will also help keeping the sand away from the black amazonia). What I didn't know tho, is how hard would it be planting in the stocking after a whole day of supplies shopping, fixing different hose sizes, trying to fit everything in the cabinet, connect the CO2, putting the frosting vinyl....I must confess I went through hell lol

Some specs:

Tank - Fire-Aqua 60x45x45cm
    Cabinet - AquaOne
    Filter - AquaOne 800
    Heater - Inline Hydor
    Co2 - 2.3kg My Keg On Legs cylinder + Aquamedic solenoid and regulator + Wyin bubble counter + Sera 500 reactor. Running 8h/day, 1h before the light goes on and turning off 1h before the light turns off.
    Light - 60cm Chihiros A-Series Plus (A601P). Running 8h/day at level 3 out of 7.
    Substrate - Amazonia + Pisces Ice white (I think..)
    Hardscape - Seiryu rock + grapewood and vinewood.
    Plant list so far (so excited I can fit that many species in one tank!):
    - Needle leaf
    - Java fern
    - Mosses: java + fissidens
    - Thin Vallisneria
    - Anubias
    - Hygrophila pinnatifida
    - Hairgrass
    - Crypto walkeri

Plants in my bucket list to complete the scape (will most likely place an order to LCA next week when the tank is ready for some NQ algae shrimp):
    - Hydrocotyle
    - Alternanthera reineckii "Mini"
    - Ludwigia mini 'super red'
    - Blyxa (maybe)

The tank is meant to be seen from 2 sides, here's what I came up with...Rocks at the bottom are aligned a bit better now tho:

Planted (minus the crypto, hygro and fissidens) and filled - notice that rock holding the vine down....it had been soaking for a week, but it clearly wasn't enough time so I had to improvise...:

I got the walkeri and fissidens from a neighbour in gumtree and planted most on this tank and the rest in my non-co2 35cm cube (just for science). I was also given that one stem of pinnatifida and it was starting to suffer on my other tank, since I moved it here 3 days ago, I swear is growing by the day!

The hairgrass on the other hand it's starting to turn yellow...I guess because of the ammonia?

And also the classic fungus in the new wood...I've been doing 85-90% water changes since day 1, tomorrow will be 7 days since first filled.

The fissidens is turning dark on some spots, but it's clearly showing signs of growth (notice my lack of skills with the glue lol).

What do you guys think? I'm not 100% sold on the white sand, my LFS messed up my order of La Plata sand and the atomizer, so I had to improvise with that pisces sand and the Sera reactor.

I'm sorry about the pictures, will try get better

Looking good my man. A bit of De Ja Vu with Pil's tank looking similar dimensions and wood! I am not sold on that large rock but you can cover it with plants etc.

I like the sandy look. No harm in trying it out. If you don't like it, just siphon and add soil later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Looking good my man. A bit of De Ja Vu with Pil's tank looking similar dimensions and wood! I am not sold on that large rock but you can cover it with plants etc.

I like the sandy look. No harm in trying it out. If you don't like it, just siphon and add soil later.
    Thanks Rebel! haha yes! I wasn't looking on getting a new tank, but I saw a great deal and jumped on it. When I came here for inspiration, Pil was starting to setup his tank, which is identical! He helped me clear my ideas after too much research...so thanks Pil!

Yeah the main rock looks huge now, but I'm hoping it can be mostly covered by plants eventually, or that's how I pictured it in my head.

hey DDM. great move on the purchase.
    i really love the dimensions. i think the width and height ratio is perfect for a low maintenance tank. the depth is also great for planting out fore, mid and background as well as viewing from 2 sides. just got to plan your plants and take your time.

with rock scaping, you got to find a flow for your rocks so it doesn't look like you just stacked stones. it's probably too late now to re-arrange, but a solution to the sharp edges and transitions between rocks and wood and substrate can be softened with more plants. just try and plan your plants and imagine what it will look like when grown in. jamming some anubias or ferns into those cracks will help.
    this is why i like following journals and trying to guess what people's intentions are as their tank evolves.
    you referenced my AAAAA tank - it is still far from my final vision of the tank for example i just like to take my time and think about it before i commit.

one last thing, you got way too much fiss tied to the rock. i would shave it down short so it can grow back nice and natural. also trim off the old leaves so you get fresh new growth.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    hey DDM. great move on the purchase.
    i really love the dimensions. i think the width and height ratio is perfect for a low maintenance tank. the depth is also great for planting out fore, mid and background as well as viewing from 2 sides. just got to plan your plants and take your time.

with rock scaping, you got to find a flow for your rocks so it doesn't look like you just stacked stones. it's probably too late now to re-arrange, but a solution to the sharp edges and transitions between rocks and wood and substrate can be softened with more plants. just try and plan your plants and imagine what it will look like when grown in. jamming some anubias or ferns into those cracks will help.
    this is why i like following journals and trying to guess what people's intentions are as their tank evolves.
    you referenced my AAAAA tank - it is still far from my final vision of the tank for example i just like to take my time and think about it before i commit.

one last thing, you got way too much fiss tied to the rock. i would shave it down short so it can grow back nice and natural. also trim off the old leaves so you get fresh new growth.
    Hey Pil, I found the dimensions a bit challenging at first, but now I love it as well, I get exactly what you say

Yeah, I think I'll be able to play around with the rocks a bit more, I don't dislike as it is right now tho (it kind of looks good in my mind lol). I tried today rescaping a bit, but that driftwood keeps floating...2 weeks soaking and still fighting hehe I have some anubias and moss ready to fill in the gaps as you suggested

I'll keep a close eye this week on the fissidens and see how it goes, if I see it struggling I'll shave it off, thanks for the tip! The hairgrass keeps turning yellow tho...I wonder if it could be lack of light...Everything else looks great. In a few days I'll test the water, should be cycled very soon

Just got home to find the tank full of what I believe are Detritus Worms....YIKES!!

http://www.fishbeginner.info/home/wh...n-my-aquarium/

Like the article mentions...something has triggered the explosion. I'm pretty sure it's the lack of oxygen in the tank, as 2 days ago I removed the spraybar to test the water flow...the surface doesn't move anymore, hence the oxygen must've dropped lots. I can also see a change in the driftwood fungus, it's almost gone, but whatever is left has now a different 'shape'...

Anyway, I'm putting the spraybar back on and tomorrow I'll buy a gravel vacuum and do a good clean up. Will keep you posted! If you have any recommendation or ideas, please let me know

A few weeks have gone by and I've now added a few more plants, fish and shrimps

Plants:
    - Hydrocotyle t. japan mini - I added it on top of the rock to try make it fall on it and also maybe train it to go on the wood above the water level. I also added a bit at the bottom of the tank, in part to test how it reacts to a different light strengh.
    - Alternanthera reineckii Mini - added behind the rocks in a triangle formation to soften the edges.
    - Ludwigia mini super red - I felt in love of this plant when I saw it growing in wood, so I tried to do the same. It's growing like nuts! I'll give it a good trim next week to try work a good bushy look. I imagine I might have spare stems if anyone is interested...

Fish:
    - 12x Rummy-nose - I never kept them before, they're so much fun and not shy at all!
    - 1x Otocinclus - I've got a second one coming soon, sitting on my shrimp tank right now.
    I also dumped a few RCS

What else could I add? My ideas:
    1) I have 6x pretty Ember tetra in my shrimp tank, I might move them here too (if I can catch them..). And maybe add a few more.
    2) More rummy-nose? I love them but maybe would look too busy?
    3) A smaller group of bigger fish, like Lemon or Red Phantom tetra.
    3) Feature fish...I saw a couple of really dark angels that stole my heart, they would look incredible..but to be honest I prefer to stock the tank with smaller fish. Then I saw a beautiful female Kribensis Apparently they breed quite easily, and I wouldn't like to deal with fry...hence why just the female. I also got my eye on a stunning boesmani pair...apparently they're slow growers?
    4) A small group of corys, I was thinking on panda?

Ideas?

Quick shout out to Newtown aquariums, I randomly went there a couple of weeks ago and the guys are absolute legends. Really passionate about all things fish and helped me choose the rummy-nose. They have a great selection of fish and the most beautiful german rams I've seen. They have heaps of driftwood and seiryu, lava rock, etc. I'll definitely be coming back.

And now, a few more crappy pics right after a water change. Excuse the bulky equipment, I'm still trying a few things to get the hang of water flow rate, etc.
    The sand is also getting dirty with algae...

In regards to stocking: I would get neither kribensis nor angels nor boesemani. All too big or tank not big enough. I would go feature fish: pair of american dwarf cichlids or gouramis.

I have seen rummy nose tetras in a big tank 6ft or so, they look much more at home in a bigger tank, I think 2ft would be the bare minimum for them. Could start to look to busy if you go for anything bigger than the rummy nose tetras, maybe a bunch dwarf corys or a 3 or 4 of the bigger corys.

Plants are looking great, I think any bigger fish my spoil the nice scale you have gone on.

Well would you look at that...

Looking good, mate.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Looking really nice! I like the way you softened that big stone with the hydrocotyle.

We should really start a 60 45 club. :P

Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    In regards to stocking: I would get neither kribensis nor angels nor boesemani. All too big or tank not big enough. I would go feature fish: pair of american dwarf cichlids or gouramis.
    I totally agree with you and Doyle, anything bigger than that would kill the mood (I just have too many fish in my wish list heh).
    A species it also interest me is chocolate gouramis...a pair would be good you think?
    And will keep it to pygmy cories, I have 3-4 on my shrimp tank that I can transfer too.

Thanks Rebel and Pil! We should def start that club hah

Tank is looking really nice DDM

That is the thin val at the back right correct? I like the way it grows to the top and then spreads over the water surface. I tried and failed on numerous attempts to grow any type of val .. it just melts and dies

If your successful it can really fill out the tank.

Pygmy cories would be fabulous for that sand playground!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    Tank is looking really nice DDM

That is the thin val at the back right correct? I like the way it grows to the top and then spreads over the water surface. I tried and failed on numerous attempts to grow any type of val .. it just melts and dies

If your successful it can really fill out the tank.
    Thanks Monty! yes, that's thin val. A few leaves did melt but it's holding up ok for now. Same with the hair grass, which pretty much melted completely as you can see there, but it's starting to spread around now. Even the moss was melting...haha Everything seems to be coming back tho so, happy

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Pygmy cories would be fabulous for that sand playground!!
    Yes, I think so! Might go (really, really) far West this weekend to find them at a good price...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast