Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first Iwagumi journal

Hey man definitely don't waste the flat piece to elevate the main stone.

Check this video out for nice methods to elevate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_da7Z0oqF4

You can even use sand or lava stone in a filter bag/pantyhose to create hills.

Take your time with the hardscape if you have that luxury. Rearrange then photograph and move on. Post all the pictures for us to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    You can even use sand or lava stone in a filter bag/pantyhose to create hills.
    Yup definitely works, if a bit of it is exposed the plants will cover it once it is all grown in

Thanks guys for the ideas.

Unfortunately i don't have time to get lava rocks etc. Instead i used a PVC tube i had left over from when i made my sliding lids. I just cut a bunch of them and placed it underneath the big rock to help elevate it a bit higher.

I used this piece

Then cut it to size. I used about 6 pieces in total of various sizes.

This is how the scape looks now

That is about as high it can go. It can go higher but i would need more gravel.

But i am happy with it now. I should get the plants today and will start planting tomorrow

Nice work. Looking forward to the evolution of this tank.

Day 1 of planting

So my plants arrived yesterday and today i went about planting them. I used two tubs of Pisces Eleocharis Belem tissue culture bought from Serene Aquarium.

After planting this is what i ended up with:

I sprayed it down with water and sealed it off with glad wrap.

Some information about the plans

- Spray water daily with spray bottle
    - Leave light on for around 11 hours a day on a timer. The chihiros light is on level 4 of 7.
    - Open tank for 15 minutes daily to allow fresh air and CO2
    - I didn't plant the rotala rotundifolia. I decided to just keep it dwarf hairgrass for now and move the rotala to the garden for emersed growth

If all goes to plan then keep everything the way it is for up to 2 months then flood the tank.

I will try and provide weekly updates to show the progress. If any issues I will update the thread early.

Enjoy the progress
    Last edited by Monty1089; 22-11-17 at 11:49 AM.

Day 7 update (today is day 8 actually but posting this today instead of yesterday)

As you can see it has been slow going for now. There hasn't been much change at all. I have noticed some runners have started to grow and some DHG have grown.

But no major changes. In fact i think it will be at least a month until i see any noticeable growth.

Nonetheless i will keep up with the weekly updates to show the progress.

Day 14 update (which was yesterday)

As you can see hardly any noticeable growth.

However i found out the issue for the slow growth. I haven't been able to maintain constant humidity in the tank. Only 3 times the tank has had good condensation. Every other day it has been dry as a bone. I did order a heat mat on the weekend but it still hasn't arrived yet. If i don't get it by tomorrow then i might just have to flood it on Saturday since some plants are already turning a bit brown.

I didn't want to have to flood so early but not sure how else to increase humidity and not sure if it will help two weeks in.

I will update once i decide what to do.

Edit. I also put a door stopper under the tank to tilt it so i can spread the water a bit evenly in the tank. There was more water in the front compared to the back due to the big slope.

You could put a bottle inside the tank with water and a heater in it if you really wanted to heat it.

Otherwise more spraying I suppose.

If you can be bothered, you can use the ebb and flow technique for a week or so before flooding. Fill it up and leave it for a few hours and then drain completely; daily.

Thanks man.

I don't mind filling and draining because it is a small tank so it won't take that long.

Will a hot water bottle work with boiled water? Just fill it and place it inside? Or place the tank on top of a couple hot water bottles?

This thing:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=h...eGfobi5dDYDzM:
    Last edited by Monty1089; 07-12-17 at 10:02 AM.

IMO it doesn't need to be warm, just mist every day and if its drying up to much keep the top sealed with cling wrap and open for 10 - 15 min when you mist it daily. Ive never had success with hairgrass as a dry start

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    IMO it doesn't need to be warm, just mist every day and if its drying up to much keep the top sealed with cling wrap and open for 10 - 15 min when you mist it daily. Ive never had success with hairgrass as a dry start
    Agree with Doyle. I can grow hair grass during Canberra winter without issues. I don't think it's the temperature.

If you can do ebb and flow, just do that. It will also test the fact whether they are rooted ok now, which they should be.

Thanks guys.

I do mist twice daily with 15-20min air time but given i have slopes the back looks way drier than the front so i will mist the back way more during the day.

I did receive the heat mat today. I will see how it goes by tomorrow but that is not the issue it seems like.

From what i have read on DHG dry start .. it seems like a hit or miss for some. If mine is a miss then i will try that ebb method Rebel.

Day 16 update

I thought i would update after placing the heat mat under the tank yesterday. It has done it's job. A lot of condensation in the tank now including the glass.

It has only ever been like this a few times now but since last night it has stayed like this. Only thing i will do is mist the back more often and allow air exchange in the morning.

I don't know if i can save the DHG given it is two weeks late in getting the heat mat but i will see how it goes over the next few days.

you could also look at dropping the light closer to the substrate while the tank is in DSM mode, may help kick things along

Just flood it and crank up the CO2. Don't think there is any benefit dry starting hair grass. It has to transition at some stage so may as well be now.

I think we sometimes make this hobby harder than it needs to be.

Look at some of the great scapers on this forum. Dont see them dry starting.
    Last edited by mundi; 08-12-17 at 04:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast