Thread: My first Iwagumi journal

Cool My first Iwagumi journal

Hi guys,

This thread is going to be about setting up my first Iwagumi tank. I always wanted one. Now with the space and money I can finally get it done

Here are some information about my setup

Tank: 49cm length x 35cm width x 39cm height tank. Bought off gumtree for $15. It was in really bad shape. Calcium buildup and dried algae all over the glass. However after intense cleaning I have finally salvaged it. Also no leaks!
    Filter: Old AquaClear 30 HOB
    CO2: Using existing Up Aqua 1L cylinder with Aqua Labs regulator and Camozzi needle valve. CO2 diffused via Hagen elite mini filter method. Maybe 2bps.
    Light: Chihiros A-series 501 light bought from ebay for $41. Also bought the stainless steel stand so I can raise the fixture
    Substrate: I am doing the full ADA substrate system with Amazonia aquasoil, power sand special and small packets of ADA additives
    Heater: Haven’t bought one yet
    Fish: Haven’t decided yet. Will need to wait for the plants to establish before adding any fish/shrimp
    Plants: Eleocharis Belem (dwarf hairgrass) and rotala rotundifolia at the back
    Rocks: Seiryu rocks 8kg from Petbarn (not using all of it)
    Dry start or flood: Not sure yet still deciding on which method to pick

Now some photos of what I have already.

Here is the tank I will be using. The tank is placed on a bedside table since i didn't have anything else. However it is very strong. I am yet to put the white background in. I will add white contact paper to the back and right side of the glass so when I take photos or stare from the side of the tank .. you don’t get distracted by the bigger tank next to it. Also the tank is sitting on a Chihiros garden mat (60xcm x 45cm)

All of the substrate materials

The small packet of ADA additives that are good value compared to buying them individually. I bought the pack for 90cm tanks as the smaller packs were not available.

Now the light and stand that i will be using. Chihiros was amazing value given i only paid $41 for it
    Last edited by Monty1089; 11-11-17 at 11:33 AM.

Now just some more information about everything.

I decided to go with the full ADA substrate system since I have never done it before. A lot of people have mixed opinions on everything apart from the Amazonia. But I wanted to give it a try. Also I didn’t buy the ADA additives in the normal form. It would have cost around $30 each for all the powders. Instead I bought small packet versions from a seller on Ali-express. For all 5 it cost me $22 shipped from Hong Kong.

For the hardscape I plan on having a carpet of dwarf hairgrass for the foreground and having a big bush of rotala growing at the back. No plans to add ferts since the Amazonia is full of ferts. I will only be injecting CO2.

Unfortunately I don’t have the seiryu rocks yet. Petbarn is going to special order it in for me for $35.99 for 8kg. They will place the order tomorrow then contact me within two weeks to let me know when I can pick it up. So I can’t set it up until I get the rocks. However I was too excited to wait any longer so thought I would post it up

I will now update once i get the seiryu and start the setup

Looking foward to this setup
    The tank tooks good
    Wat did you use to clean it?

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
    Looking foward to this setup
    The tank tooks good
    Wat did you use to clean it?
    I just used white vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle. I saw plenty of videos on youtube cleaning fish tanks by this method.

I also used a razer blade to get rid of the stubborn calcium and algae.

I then hosed the tank down and kept in the sun for a few days. Repeated the vinegar method and hosed it again.

Finally used window cleaner on the outside glasses and brought it inside.

Oh wow that's cheap for seiryu rocks. I'm shopping around at the moment and they're all like $6-8 per kg. Was it on sale at the time you ordered it from Petbarn?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCHOO View Post
    Oh wow that's cheap for seiryu rocks. I'm shopping around at the moment and they're all like $6-8 per kg. Was it on sale at the time you ordered it from Petbarn?
    It wasn't on sale. I emailed Petbarn and they got the inventory manager at Campbelltown to email me.

When i first emailed them i mentioned it was sold for $35.99 for 8kg (i saw this price on a aquariumlife thread before). He replied and said the price is $35.99 for 8kg

If you want contact Petbarn Campbelltown and ask for inventory manager Justin Humphry and order the seiryu. They send the special orders on Sunday's. Then once it's in just pick it up from Campbelltown.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    It wasn't on sale. I emailed Petbarn and they got the inventory manager at Campbelltown to email me.

When i first emailed them i mentioned it was sold for $35.99 for 8kg (i saw this price on a aquariumlife thread before). He replied and said the price is $35.99 for 8kg

If you want contact Petbarn Campbelltown and ask for inventory manager Justin Humphry and order the seiryu. They send the special orders on Sunday's. Then once it's in just pick it up from Campbelltown.
    Oh sweet, i'll see if i can get into contact with the Petbarn near my house cause Campbelltown is a bit far from me.

Great work so far. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Update.

I got the rocks. I didn't buy it from Petbarn. I got it from Petstock.

Petstock has a 20% off sale and brought the seiryu down from $44.99 to $35.99. The same price as Petbarn.

I am not going to use all the seiryu.

Now all i need is the plants and can get started

i wish i had seiryu rather than red lava.

what plants are you thinking? fresh amazonia leaches tons of ammonia and so you wont be able to plant any ammonia sensitive plants.
    you also wont be able to add fish either.
    basically you will be keeping an algae farm for a month whilst you do daily water changes fun times it's where i'm at with my current set up
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Thanks PiL.

I prefer seiryu as well but purple lava rock looks nice compared to red.

I am going to plant dwarf hairgrass and rotala rotundifolia. These are the only plants i will be using.

Yes i have heard about amazonia causing an algae farm at the start
    I will probably be doing a dry start to hopefully avoid the big algae farm at the beginning.

Also no fish planned until the plants are well established after maybe a month or so.
    Last edited by Monty1089; 14-11-17 at 05:16 PM.

Update.

Unfortunately plants won't be sent out until next week Monday so Tuesday delivery at the earliest. A bit of a setback

However i can still do the hardscape this weekend and plant next week.