Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bookshelf Blackwater - 12g Long

Default Bookshelf Blackwater - 12g Long

Starting a new journal for my bookshelf tank, I have collected the hardscape I need and hopefully will get this tank started over the weekend, if I start a journal it may motivate me!

Fire bookshelf tank. 90cm Length x 25cm Height x 21cm Depth in 8mm low iron clear glass.
    Hardscape - Malaysian Driftwood and Purple Lava Rock
    Substrate - Recycled the Aquasoil from the last scape (over 2 years old now)
    Co2 - Yes
    Light - 90cm Up Aqua Pro Z
    Plants - Low light slow growers; Anubias, Buce maybe some Java Fern and Frogbit... basically nothing that will need regular trimming
    Stocking - Various Rasbora's, Cherry and DAE shrimp

The plan is a for a low light, tinted blackwater with lots of wood and leaf litter etc, plants will be attached to wood or lava rock, nothing planted into the substrate, will probably still be co2 injected to try get some good growth from the buce plants, much like my 30cm Jungle cube.

Still yet to break down the current scape, plan is to do that this weekend and get things moving, will house the current fish and shrimp in a bucket while i scape this one and return them to the tank once setup.

Following

I've always wanted a black water aquarium, my attempt at one didn't last too long as the water took too much to keep it black :P

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to following this.

Always keen to see your work

Is your light dimmable? If not, you might need to a place a strip of electrical tape across the light to reduce intensity. I had to do this when I had an aquasky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
    Is your light dimmable? If not, you might need to a place a strip of electrical tape across the light to reduce intensity. I had to do this when I had an aquasky.
    Nar it isn't dimmable, raised up fairly high it is fairly dim... tho good tip with the electrical tape, probably will end up having to do this

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
    Good Tip!

I've done this with my aquasky, was getting GSA all over the rocks and glass, used a piece of laminate paper and taped it over the light to diffuse some of the intensity. Plants are still a nice green, growing and pearling, but no more GSA.

Quote Originally Posted by a_ramo View Post
    Good Tip!

I've done this with my aquasky, was getting GSA all over the rocks and glass, used a piece of laminate paper and taped it over the light to diffuse some of the intensity. Plants are still a nice green, growing and pearling, but no more GSA.
    Good move, this is the only tank I ever get GSA on the glass, has to be something to do with the light and very narrow tank, hoping to avoid GSA in the new setup

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Nar it isn't dimmable
    Yes it is. You just don't have the dimmer. Assuming you have a plug between the light and the power brick you can invest $1.40 in a dimmer http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Remo...7/252729658854

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Yes it is. You just don't have the dimmer. Assuming you have a plug between the light and the power brick you can invest $1.40 in a dimmer http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Remo...7/252729658854
    There is no plug between the the up-aqua light and the power plug, this light doesn't have seperate power brick, nowhere to put the dimmer inline. I do have a bunch of those dimmers i purchased to pull apart and run the tc420s with the chihiros a-series plus lights.

Here is the same light, image pulled from google -

I have two other up-aqua lights, the 30 cm is the same, no detachable power brick and no where to install a dimmer, unless you can cut the cord and wire one in? Not sure if this is possible and to hard for me! The 60cm (I think its a different series) does have a brick, havent tried to dim that light as its raised up fairly high on my outdoor tank.
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 08-11-17 at 11:25 PM.

Does the power plug say DC? if so, you can cut the wire and solder a connector but slight learning curve for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Does the power plug say DC? if so, you can cut the wire and solder a connector but slight learning curve for that.
    Not to sure, dont own a solder iron or know how to solder, I will stick with the electrical tape if I need to knock the light down a bit!

hi colm, if u did want to go down the soldering route it is very easy to do so, just heat the wires with the iron and touch solder onto the wire.. if you have access to someone with a soldering iron well worth it

Things are moving more slowly than I want, didnt get around to breaking down the current scape but I did have a quick play around with the wood I have on hand, here is a rough idea of what I am going for, tho I do have a more "curvy" bit of wood on I could use on the left but I need to split it as it is to thick, need to get hold of a small axe or something similar. I do prefer the right hand side... the other curvy bit of wood I have hopefully will balance them out, right side only use 2 bits of wood, the left is 4 smaller bits.

All the wood is soaking, will probably only let it soak for a few days as I dont want to remove all the tannins

IMG_0739 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

Reminds me a TGM scape from the famous JF. Are you going to have some emersed action?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast