Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bookshelf Blackwater - 12g Long

Took some more photos today, water has cleared up can see thru the tank length ways now, much less hazy, perhaps a bit more tinted.

IMG_0957 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_0952 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_0960 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_0971 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_0976 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_0979 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

IMG_0981 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 11-12-17 at 09:21 PM.

looking real good mate.. love the way the wood flows

I have some terrestrial Baby's Tears, you can get it at any nursery, that would grow great and look good on the top of that wood..

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    looking real good mate.. love the way the wood flows
    Cheers, it did take a awhile positioning and repositioning the wood until I was happy, the hardscape went against my initial plan but I am happy with the result. Almost looks like one big flowing bit of wood, its actually 6 smaller bits, in true style none of the wood secured and just propped up against each piece, benefit is I can remove bits for cleaning or to secure plants etc. Downside is it could fall apart / over. The bottom most right piece is well secured / buried into the gravel and forms a solid base... I hope :P

Quote Originally Posted by Madmerv View Post
    I have some terrestrial Baby's Tears, you can get it at any nursery, that would grow great and look good on the top of that wood..
    Thanks Merv that could be a good option, I think I have seen some baby tears at bunnings, unsure if I want to put anything on the wood, I do like the clean look, I was thinking terrestrial moss but no idea where to source.

six pieces of wood? well i am certainly impressed now, that looks like one nice naturally curved piece of wood.. well done

I also like the amount of plant you have around your structure. Agree with you about keeping the look clean, too many people let plants grow to the point where it is coverting the hardscape underneath..

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Downside is it could fall apart / over
    my AAAAA tank is the same. most of the lava rocks are just balancing atop each other whilst holding back 10cm depth of aquasoil. i used some 'aqua knead it' on the overhanging rocks in the cove area to create shadows, but the whole thing is quite precarious. the big piece of wood too.
    no one sneeze...

are you gonna try and get the water reaaaally dark?
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    six pieces of wood? well i am certainly impressed now, that looks like one nice naturally curved piece of wood.. well done

I also like the amount of plant you have around your structure. Agree with you about keeping the look clean, too many people let plants grow to the point where it is coverting the hardscape underneath..
    Agree, I want to keep this one clean and minimal, I think there is enough plant mass now to keep it ticking along, tho I may add the odd cutting of anubias or buce, tempted to stuff a few more bits of parva in the back and hope they naturally creep around the front, gravel makes for much easier planting of crypts, much less messy also

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    are you gonna try and get the water reaaaally dark?
    Unsure, it is actually fairly dark but being only 20cm deep it doesn't really show up well in photos, you can really see the tannins looking down the tank, my girlfriend thinks it looks dirty and makes the apartment look dirty... but what would she know :P

Colm you can get it a lot darker. I used leaves as the base of a tank (full leaf litter) about 2-3 leaves thick...the water goes nearly black, but every time disturb the bottom a cloud of crap is then suspended for 24hrs. Don’t recommend it
    60 X 40 X 40 fire (jungle 3 sided scape)
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...-old-2ft-tank)

I loooove the wood, what a great composition! Big fan of the look too. Girlfriends....they must think we're mad....but we have to love them anyway (so we can sneak one more tank.. )

A tank can be clean and crystal clear but still be tinted dark.
    Would help if you could dial the light colour right down too.
    Definitely would look better reaaally black.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Cheers guys, the photos are probably not a true representation of light levels, I played around with shadows setting in photoshop to bring out some of the dark details which in turn washes out the tint in the water, will have to post a realistic photo of the lighting levels.

I have ordered some almond leave tea bags will add a few of those when they get there, at the movement I dont want to add to much "loose" leaf litter... tho things will probably change once the clean new scape syndrome wears off.

That's really beautiful Colm!

I love the simplicity of the wood & plants & the flow of the wood.

If you want it darker you might add a small piece of mallee root to your existing wood if you can get your hands on some. They leach tannen for quite a long time. I'm currently using mallee as drift wood in my scapes (sold at the local wood yard lucky for me). Despite soaking & boiling thoroughly prior to using it, even a small piece added to the tank colours the water. You could easily hide a small piece in your existing scape & it would be clean & easy to remove.

I think it's partners who think we're mad DDM, not Girlfriends. My boyfriend certainly does - I recently downsized to 4 tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    I think it's partners who think we're mad DDM, not Girlfriends. My boyfriend certainly does - I recently downsized to 4 tanks
    haha so true! Totally my bad, partners

All good DDM

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    That's really beautiful Colm!

I love the simplicity of the wood & plants & the flow of the wood.

If you want it darker you might add a small piece of mallee root to your existing wood if you can get your hands on some. They leach tannen for quite a long time. I'm currently using mallee as drift wood in my scapes (sold at the local wood yard lucky for me). Despite soaking & boiling thoroughly prior to using it, even a small piece added to the tank colours the water. You could easily hide a small piece in your existing scape & it would be clean & easy to remove.

Thanks I am kind of happy with the tint of the water, will keep adding a few almond leaves, added a bunch of small alder cones, I think its a bit darker, will post another photo tonight and make sure I dont over edit the photo to show the true lighting / darkness.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast