Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquairum safe leaves

in the past, i've only used oak leaves as there's a massive tree down the road.

they are considered poisonous to some animals because of tannic acid content - which is a good thing for our purpose.

just looked at that link. i remember it now.
    yes, making a tea with dried leaves is a great way to keep consistency without adding too much leaf litter.

in the past, i've also done this with decaf teabags to no noticeable ill effect.
    Last edited by PiL; 13-11-17 at 12:12 PM.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

I have surveyed the area around my house and haven't spotted any useful trees but I am no expert.

I will keep looking and hopefully will find an Oak nearby.

My understanding is that a tree will suck back most of the stuff we dont want in our tanks before it drops its leaves so only use those that have naturally fallen. I wonder if this is also true for trees with milky sap?

Maybe I need to collect some. I have an annoyingly indestructible goldfish in a small tank out on the deck at the moment. Maybe I should drop a couple in with him.
    Whatever

It looks like Camellia leaves might be safe. Can anyone confirm?
    Whatever

I've heard of decaf teabags being used PiL so your probably right on that front.

Did a bit more googling and looks like theres a few threads floating around, mostly around apisto/dwarf cichlid forums/hobbyists. Ado, I believe Camellia are safe to use.

From another forum: "The leaves I've used, and are definitely safe, are Oak, Beech, Camellia, deciduous Magnolia and Loquat." and "Oak and Camelllia lower pH and they all add some degree of tannins, and you rapidly get fantastic skeletonised leaves with Magnolia. Loquat and Beech had no effect on pH, and Beech also doesn't add much colour to the water (but they are attractively coloured leaves)."

Also found this thread:
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...r-conditioning

And i believe one of the posts is referring to this article:
    http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
    I have an annoyingly indestructible goldfish in a small tank out on the deck at the moment. Maybe I should drop a couple in with him.
    yeah good luck with that. I reckon it will eat it and get fat.

Few more ideas here and something to read (many you wont find locally): https://tanninaquatics.com/pages/aqu...al-preparation

Great find Grubs! Saving for future reference.

Looking a trying feijoa leaves, these are a relative of the guava which is used in shrimp tanks aparently. Soaking some in a jar to see how effects PH first. Anyone tried these?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12