Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aquairum safe leaves

Default Aquairum safe leaves

Hi All,

I thought it would be helpful if we get a list together of aquarium safe leaves other than IAL.

I would prefer to use something that I can find locally (preferably in my yard!!!) than having to pay a buck a leaf.

I have heard the Melaleuca (Paper Bark Tree) leaves can be used. I have a few off these in my yard. I also have a huge Lomandra next to my pond that I may also try.

As my tank is a 2ft cube I am thinking small leaves would be better than huge foot long IALs.

What else has been proven effective?

Probably also should start a list of those to avoid. Anything with a milky sap for example.

Once this thread has run its course I will compile said lists and re-post.

Cheers

Ado
    Whatever

I might also try Grevillea leaves.
    Whatever

Mulberry leaves are another popular/safe option.

For adding tannins I use Loquat, Oak, native frangipanni (Hymenosporum flavum) and IAL

For feeding shrimp, farlowella and even bristlenose I use Mulberry as a supplement.

I have tried banana, guava and mango with my shrimps and they love it.

Has anyone used or heard of using Schefflera actinophylla or better know as Umbrella Tree leaves?

I am at our holiday house at Shoal bay and have one in the back yard.
    Whatever

dont umbrella trees have a poisonous (milky white) sap?
    i dont have experience using this leaf, but i'd steer clear of anything with white sap.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

I thought so too however I snapped a few leaves off and nothing seemed to seep out. I didn't wait for very long though before I lost interest. lol.
    Whatever

hmm... it may have been an umbrella term (see what i did there) for several different trees. i remember the birds used to eat the fruit on it, so maybe? i just wouldnt risk it unless you know someone's done it first hand. AR would know.

Why not just use oak leaves or something proven to be ok? should be able to find an oak tree in the neighbou
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

I know they're not quite leaves, but alder cones are really popular with shrimp keepers.
    Chris -my tank

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyAdo View Post
    As my tank is a 2ft cube
    Sorry to hijack your thread! Just interested to see if you have a link to any pics of your tank? I've just set up a 2ft cube and it's aesthetically a difficult shape to work with, would love to see your tank if there a pics out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Che View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread! Just interested to see if you have a link to any pics of your tank? I've just set up a 2ft cube and it's aesthetically a difficult shape to work with, would love to see your tank if there a pics out there.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ng-There-2x2x2
    Whatever

Beautiful mate, thanks!

I reckon there may be a difference between fresh leaves, leaves naturally falling from a tree and leaves that have been dried artificially etc. I had gum leaves (supposedly bad due to sap etc) falling into my little outdoor pond and nothing bad seemed to happen to it.

I had these "saved" somewhere from ages ago when i was investigating leaves, etc. Old threads though.
    https://apistogramma.com//forum/thre...n-tanks.12777/
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...Suggestion-box

Agree with Rebel though. There are different "stages" and i'd think they all react differently too.

I can second what Grubs suggested, I used this for quite a while and found them great. The loquat leaves last a long time, and the oak ones break down nicely. I kinda dislike IAL but they have always had the most tannins for me if that is your only aim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast