Thread: Soil for pond plants?

Default Soil for pond plants?

What soils should I be looking for to use with pond plants, lilies ect and how often would you try repot them?

in the past i've always just used plain aquarium gravel with laterite base.
    having never kept a plant for more than 1 season (because they were always tropicals) i never had to repot, but if i did, it would only be to top up and loose gravel or perhaps add laterite balls.

i've kept lillies in tank conditions in the past for more than 5 years without "repotting" (my first ever planted tank) with just laterite. i used to supply my lfs with tiger lotus as they grew like gangbusters.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

You can use many different things. Little bit of garden soil topped with sand is ok. I would also put a egg shell (or dolomite) in there also. Maybe a wee bit of dynamic lifter.

What have you got access to?

was thinking of just buying some soil types from bunnings or a nurseries, is sand/gravel need to topped have a tub with just random soil in it heh. What I would like is a good mix that would make the grow best they can, would you need different mixes for different plants?

I'm just using $2 organic potting mix with a gravel cap. The cheap potting mix has a lot of bark chips so you will need to sift it. Seems to work fine though, the potting mix plants in my pond are doing just as well as the plants planted in Black Earth.