Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ben's lawn tank

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    So if you KH is 4 you will want to drop your PH from 7 (with no co2) to 6.6 by injecting co2, you want to reach this 6.6 ph level before your lights come on, see chart below. You should invest in a PH pen, you can get them from ebay for less than $10, much quicker and easier to measure ph levels, tho they do need to be collaborated every now and then (usually they come with a solution which is set to a known ph level)

Earlier you said you have adjusted your bubble rate to 1 bubble per minute, I am guessing you mean 1 bubble per second. This may be ok, depending how much earlier you co2 is coming on before lights. Like I said you want that 6.6ph (30ppm of co2) level just before you lights come on so the plants can start ustalizing the co2 right away.

No need to turn off the fade up/down of the lights, to start you only really want about 6 hrs of "peak" light, how long does the fade up/down last?
    Thanks Doyle, that info is going to be really useful.

The fade up lasted an hour, same with the fade down. I've changed it to just flick on to 100% and stay there for 6 hours, then turn off. I didn't want to research whether 2 hours of gradually increasing/decreasing light was equal to one hour at 100%, so I just took the easier option.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Benb, this measurement is not accurate enough for CO2 calibration. You will need a pH pen if you want to be technical. Otherwise just increase your bubble count slowly over a couple of weeks and watch the tank. With no livestock, there is no risk.
    Thanks Rebel, I just ordered this pen http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-P...-/322553048465

Just recording some stuff for today.

Water change.
    Regular Dosing.
    pH = 6.8
    KH = 3
    Therefore CO2 = ~14.3ppm

If possible check the pH of the water just before CO2 comes on for the day. Also you should check pH of the tank water after it's been in a cup for 24 hours. Then we can estimate CO2 much better that what you have done.

I didn't get to it in time to check it just before CO2 came on today.
    CO2 started at 12:30
    At 1pm pH was 7.5.
    I've taken some water out to degass.

pH after 24 hours of degassing = 8.1

You've got plenty of CO2. At least 30ppm but probably a little more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123