Thread: Dwarf hair grass - Does it lift?

Default Dwarf hair grass - Does it lift?

Hey guys,
    I'm starting a new tank and want to deck it out with dwarf hair grass.

Does anyone know or have any experience of it lifting?

The tank is 80cm tall, it won't be trimmed. It will just run wild.

If it does lift - what carpeting plant does not lift?

Thanks!

Hey Minhties,

I found eventually dwarf lifted, as nearly all carpet plants I've grown do if not maintained! At 80cm tall what light are you planning on using, It will have to be pretty powerful to grow carpets at that depth?

Maybe staurogyne repens would work for you?

Dave

Maybe H tennellus 'broad leaf' could be an option. Are you going to run CO2 with the Discii?

damn... i was hoping that it was one that didnt lift! I've only had hc as a carpet... and that lifted... was a paint in a small tank let alone a big one.

i have MMLED pannel currently at 20% and they are doing going alright on a 60cm tall tank. Ive also got kessils.. still deciding which to use and what will work better though.

staurogyne repens - this requires trimming though does it not? i really want something that i can just leave and let it grow wild with out over tanking too much tank space.. maybe this is wishfull thinking.. haha

Rebel - yes, new tank for the discus.. and yes ill like like to run co2.

Don't be too quick to write DHG off...

I've mentioned this on another thread before but, I had a 4 ft DHG carpet which i trimmed 3 times over ~2 years. Once just before planting to promote new growth, and twice more in the early stages to help it fill in. Once i had a full carpet i reduced the light intensity and CO2 and balanced ferts to just maintain.

No issues with lifting, it stayed ~1 year without a trim and it was perfectly fine.

HC is very different, it forms a mat and has very shallow roots, hence susceptible to lifting.

Couple of things to consider:
    Using powder type ADA soil or similar - smaller substrate will help it root better.
    Making sure you get proper DHG - the longer hair i've saeen lift. DHG stays <1" tall.
    Any plant you decide to get will require trimming at the start to train it and help promote new growth (unless you plan on buying a bucket load of plants and filling it up from day one). Once it's full its a balancing act to reduce growth rate but keep the plants looking healthy.