Thread: Common Bristlenose

Default Common Bristlenose

A quick question for anybody with experience.
    What is the lowest temp a bristlenose would be happy living in?

Not getting a lot of response here and that surprises me as bristlenose are kind of a staple in aquariums.
    I will expand this out to my situation and see if that helps. Most common is is the tropical tank in the temp range of 22-27 deg C. Bristlenose love it and do really well. Some people have kept them in warm water without a problem, 27+ C.
    I have researched it and once they go below 19 C their metabolism slows down and, without evidence, it is suspected their digestive system does not cope with the high fiber content. Nobody has said it actually is bad for them or that they have been know to die in low temps, below 19 C, but the recommendations are for temps above that. I know keeping fish in their optimum temp range is good for them, they grow, breed, swim around etc but you would have to think that in the wild they are subjected to a much wider range of temps even if they live in the tropics. Rainfall and storm systems have a varying range of temps.

I plan on getting some bristlenose in my outdoor tank asap. The tank was consistently getting to a min of 16 C a week or so ago and i was waiting for it to hold a temp of 18-19 C before transferring them. As spring in Perth is fickle the tank has now dropped to a steady, night time temp, of 13.5 C. To low for me to transfer them but this may happen, expectantly, after i think the cold has passed. So at what temp do you guys think i need to take action and remove them, if i can, if the tank drops down later?

I used to keep and breed bristlenose plecos at 26 C. They were ok at about 28 but get stressed at anything above that.
    Would consider it unsafe to have them in water under 22 C imo.

Looks like no one keeps them outside?? or even in the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Looks like no one keeps them outside?? or even in the garage?
    Yeah Rebel i have googled this and had reports of people keeping them in ponds down to 18C and even short term to 15C but would have liked some actual real reports of what happens from people that have done it.
    My plan is to wait until i get a consistent 19-20C and then introduce them. If somebody confirmed a lower temp then i might have gone earlier but we will see what happens when it gets a bit warmer.
    On the flip side (or beginning of winter) i will be able to report what happens so anybody else will have a report of how they will fare.

Hi merv
    I remember reading on pcs about someone keeping bridtlenose catfish outside in a Perth winter and they were ok at low temps for short periods. In summer it was fine but in winter they only lasted a few days. I tried to find the thread but couldn't see it. I keep my brustlenose catfish at 26 degrees, but I have a 6 footer with a 500w ceramic heater that does a fpgreat job of stopping any temp fluctuations. I'm sure they would be fine in the lower 20's
    I like West African Cichlids and Planted Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Westie View Post
    Hi merv
    I remember reading on pcs about someone keeping bridtlenose catfish outside in a Perth winter and they were ok at low temps for short periods. In summer it was fine but in winter they only lasted a few days. I tried to find the thread but couldn't see it. I keep my brustlenose catfish at 26 degrees, but I have a 6 footer with a 500w ceramic heater that does a fpgreat job of stopping any temp fluctuations. I'm sure they would be fine in the lower 20's
    Thanks for that Westie. I trawled through the site and found exactly what i was looking for. Cichlid keepers do some weird stuff.
    So as an experiment some BN were kept in an outside tank to see when they would expire. 15C and above for larger fish was fine but below that things get grim. 10C and they were all gone bar one.
    I have no desire to make a fish suffer so even though my tank hit 18c today i will be waiting for it to have a minimum of 18-19C before the Bn go for a swim in the big tank.