Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie - hi

Default newbie - hi

hi all well finally ordered my new fish tank this mooning. been about 9 years since i sold the set up i had before we moved from the uk. clearance from the boss to purchase. 4ft x 18 x 18 and pine cabinet being built next week.
    i have a the light sorted and hearted but canister filter.. help.. i have a fluval previously. been offered an aqua one 1200.
    has any one got any advice or comments to advise on what brands tro avoid etc.. thanks in advance..

keith

Welcome Keith

Sounds like you have a great project under way.

As for filters, assuming a mid range budget, look at an Eheim 2217 (classic Series) or a Fluval 406 or an Aqua One 1200 (or bigger). The Aqua One Nautilus gets praise too, but a bit pricey.

cheers Danstray. appreciate the reply. i have been offered a aqua on 1200 for $220, do fancy the fluval 406 as it is a brand i am familiar with in the uk. aqua one maybe popular now as it has been 9 years wish since i left my :-( but should have the new one in a week or two. just need to stain it and then bingo.. set up and get it ready.
    Cant wait to get it set up.. so will be here a lot i believe looking for advice and guidance from you guys.
    ta

also, drift wood. i have found some lovely pieces on the beach. have hosed them down and soaked in a large tub. can these be used ? don't want to add them if i am unaware iff anything / effects to the tank but don't see any difference from ones we buy and ones we get off her beach ourselves. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiethqld View Post
    also, drift wood. i have found some lovely pieces on the beach. have hosed them down and soaked in a large tub. can these be used ? don't want to add them if i am unaware iff anything / effects to the tank but don't see any difference from ones we buy and ones we get off her beach ourselves. ?
    Hey Kieth. Welcome to AL.
    Almost any type of wood can be used if it has been soaking long enough to remove all the oils etc. Hard wood is best as it will not break down as fast as a softer type.
    If it looks kind of fresh off the tree then you are best to give it a miss as some trees have toxins that are not good for aquariums. Also if it comes from an area that was sprayed, that may still be present.
    If the wood is small enough then boiling it for a while is highly recommended. That will kill any unwanted aquatic critters and help remove any excess tanins or oils.
    Alternating between soaking in a tub and leaving in the sun for a week at a time is an option for larger bits.
    Good luck with the new setup and remember to post photo's as you go.

thanks madmerv. will definitely take ur advice on board. 1pice is large so will leave in the sun tomorrow. and a definite photo will follow. cabinet would be built by next week. then i need to stain and seal then it will be game on...
    i am sure i will be here a lot. lol
    thanks once again mate.

It might good to soak the wood in water and do a 100% water change daily if you can't boil it. Just to be safe.

Any pics of the wood?

Looking forward to this build.

Also check aquanova canister filters. Great price performance and cheap spare parts. Techden has them I think.

ok will check it out.. if you had a choice tho of fluvial 406, aqua one 1200 or aqua nova 1200.which would you pick?
    sorry to put you on the spot but the more i research the more confused i get haha..

Quote Originally Posted by Kiethqld View Post
    ok will check it out.. if you had a choice tho of fluvial 406, aqua one 1200 or aqua nova 1200.which would you pick?
    sorry to put you on the spot but the more i research the more confused i get haha..
    Difficult. I would go for Aquanova 1200 and invest in better CO2 gear. Just that it's been very quiet and a good runner for about 3 years.

Aquaone is similarly good due to it's great warranty ( 3 years ). I figured I could get almost 3 Aquanova units for one of the aquaones... :P

Fluval I would only buy from a bricks and mortar shop so that they can help if something goes wrong. I'd expect alot more service and features etc for the higher price.

well done.. fluvial 406 it is.. ordered today from the local store.. i hope to get the cabinet this week.... i hope... then just seal the wood and stain then set up... yeah...

I was going to suggest The Fluval G3 or G6.

Too late I guess !!!!
    Whatever

Welcome to the forum, Keith! How's the fish tank coming along?

-Kamran

thanks bigdaddyado, just googled that filter and omg looks impressive.. would gave been hard pushed to let the minister off finance release the funds for that at present but see how i go. thanks for the advice tho.

slowly.. lol tank and cabinet delivered, just needs to be sanded a bot and painted then we can add some h2o and fill it up.. the wife had to choose the colour for the cabinet as its location on the from room, i wasn't too fussed as we will be looking at the tank once it is filled and has fish in it, lol. we hope to have it filled and commence the cycling period by next week so will keep you updated,
    filter, heater snd some ornaments purchased. bought a ph test kit for now as i am unsure which fish i will purchase once ready. any advise on test kits etc?
    additives to assist cycling time of water before i introduce fish into the tank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast