Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: 4ft Planted - unique driftwood

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Bought an Aqua one Nautilus 1400 today, waiting for it to be delivered.
    Hopefully this will solve my water circulation issue.
    I will probably run the Nautilus 1400 and the Aquis 1050 together for the sake of filtration and circulation.

    Next purchase will be a new heater as the Eheim 300w is just massive and has to go diagonal across right side of tank.

    after this, I am considering removing the driftwood as its just a huge obstruction.
    And I could get some good $$ from it to put towards other goodys.

    Also, anyone know if I can use any old wood from a creek or river in my tank?

    I have quite a few nice waterfall hikes to go on and there is always plenty of wood laying around.
    Might just find some awesome pieces.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Having thoughts about removing the driftwood and replacing it with more branchy driftwood.
    Thoughts? and should I remove fish first? aquasoil will probably get stired up fair bit due to the wood being semi submerged.

    Ideas on how to go about this or if its a good idea????

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    Having thoughts about removing the driftwood and replacing it with more branchy driftwood.
    Thoughts? and should I remove fish first? aquasoil will probably get stired up fair bit due to the wood being semi submerged.

    Ideas on how to go about this or if its a good idea????
    You will be fine, no need to remove fish, just try not to make to much of a mess but it will probably cloud up a fair bit but will settle down

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    11,907

    Default

    Just add something like prime to neutralise any ammonia that you stir up. Keep adding a daily dose for a few days afterwards.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I was just thinking, the driftwood is covered by a fair amount of soil, and wrrapping around from back to front on the left side is bags of gravel used as fillers.
    Could be quite a messy transaction if I do it.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    11,907

    Default

    Yep it might be very messy. If you are worried, then remove all the fish first. Then you can do a 70% water change and add them back in.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Yep it might be very messy. If you are worried, then remove all the fish first. Then you can do a 70% water change and add them back in.
    May just wait until I decide on the new driftwood for the tank before I do anything. this would be smarter lol.
    now, which type of wood to use is the next question. large golden vine, or more branchy wood.
    Im so undecided, apart from definitely deciding I dont like this driftwood anymore.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW, Homebush
    Posts
    230

    Default

    I have been watching this thread with interest and these are my observations based on your descriptions and my own experience. I know this will be controversial.
    I believe your problem has not been the driftwood which truly is unique but rather the substrate which is basically compressed dirt. To dirt it will return within a fairly short period and this will cause clouding, clinging to driftwood and based on my experience provides an unhealthy environment for fish and shrimp once it disintegrates. I think your setup would have looked less gloomy and your problems would have been reduced to some degree with normal gravel or sand. I have never looked back since I got rid of the brown stuff which I could not control with gravel vacuums etc. Eventually all my shrimp and corydoras died due to filth everywhere. Plants are going much better in plain gravel with targeted ground fertilising in the form of dino dung or equivalent. Guess I just find it sad that the driftwood has to go when I think it would be excellent in the right setup.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyfins View Post
    I have been watching this thread with interest and these are my observations based on your descriptions and my own experience. I know this will be controversial.
    I believe your problem has not been the driftwood which truly is unique but rather the substrate which is basically compressed dirt. To dirt it will return within a fairly short period and this will cause clouding, clinging to driftwood and based on my experience provides an unhealthy environment for fish and shrimp once it disintegrates. I think your setup would have looked less gloomy and your problems would have been reduced to some degree with normal gravel or sand. I have never looked back since I got rid of the brown stuff which I could not control with gravel vacuums etc. Eventually all my shrimp and corydoras died due to filth everywhere. Plants are going much better in plain gravel with targeted ground fertilising in the form of dino dung or equivalent. Guess I just find it sad that the driftwood has to go when I think it would be excellent in the right setup.
    Happy to hear your feedback as all is welcome.
    The ADA Aquasoil has been great for my plants and I recently realised that flow was a huge issue in my tank.
    My Aqua One Nautilis 1400 turned up last night and will be going in on the weekend alongside the Aquis 1050 so flow will be just fine.
    This will stop all of the gunk from settling on the bottom. I also think I just need more plants and direction in how I can work with this wood also. I am thinking of buying more of the same rock I am using as a divider and placing it under the wood at the back and planting inbetween it and around it to help fill this all out.

    Happy for further feeback though, I want to keep the wood but also dont as I am thinking of an easier layout with branchier driftwood.

    Im the most undecided person with this tank as I want it very pretty as its a display tank.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    11,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    I want it very pretty as its a display tank.
    This is very much a noble goal.

    I have seen tanks with this sort of gunk. If it's easily disturbed, then it can be diatoms, even months after setup. I had diatoms for 6 months once and it went overnight when I added 200 cherry shrimp.

    Make sure you fertilise the tank regularly and continue with water changes.
    Something to consider.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Illawarra
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    This is very much a noble goal.

    I have seen tanks with this sort of gunk. If it's easily disturbed, then it can be diatoms, even months after setup. I had diatoms for 6 months once and it went overnight when I added 200 cherry shrimp.

    Make sure you fertilise the tank regularly and continue with water changes.
    Something to consider.
    Hahaha, seriously, this tank has made my parents start using their front lounge room again, they even take guests in there now to sit for coffee.
    The gunk is mostly fish waste, dead plant matter and algae build up such as blue-green and diatoms.

    I had 40 Yellow Cherry shrimp in the tank but my angels and Bolivian rams made quick work of them lol.
    Lucky they were culls I got for $0 and not $5 cherrys.

    Ill be buying more plants shortly to fill the tank a bit better and help overpower the algae and going to try the LCA All-in-One fertilizer.

    Might also chuck some Oto's in if I can get my hands on some.
    None of my LFS's stock them

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •