Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4ft Planted - unique driftwood

Default 4ft Planted - unique driftwood

Hey all

my original post is in the beginners area as I posted there as a new member!
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...t-Planted-Tank

Anyway, huge thanks to Rebel for selling me a few plants...
    The tank is really filling in now!

hoping it all grows well under 3x 3ft t8 globes and a 2ft LED light, what do you guys/girls all think?

Also, hoping this cycling gets it sorted asap as id like to buy my 30ish rummy-nose tetras asap. the ADA Amazonia is leaching ammonia like crazy but.

I think I have made my mind up on stocking of the tank.

Yellow Cherry Shrimp
    30 rummynose tetras
    10 Corydoras Davidsandsi
    &
    A pair of Bolivian Butterfly Rams.

Thoughts from people?

Hey dude, looking good.

The Rams will eat those expensive shrimp tho. Rummys will eventually start eating shrimp too. Perhaps go with red cherry shrimp.

What's with the colander in there? You cycling some more soil?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hey dude, looking good.

The Rams will eat those expensive shrimp tho. Rummys will eventually start eating shrimp too. Perhaps go with red cherry shrimp.

What's with the colander in there? You cycling some more soil?

Thanks mate! the yellow shrimp I'm getting for free, and they should breed in the java fern anyway which will help them build a colony. the actual goal is to end up having them as a food source lol.
    Decided on yellow as they should blend in a bit easier too.

The Rams will be an addition much later down the track though, once the tank is well established and plants have grown out thoroughly.
    The bowl with gravel in it is what kick started my cycle, so it will come out once I see more solid colours in the cycle and ammonia starts to fade out.

Im worried that I wont get any decent light under that driftwood to grow anything either.
    Was hoping to fill it in somehow with plants but going to need something super low-light.
    Perhaps some normal java fern in there.

You can have some anubias under that DW without any issues. Also the fish will probably appreciate the darker area.

You can have some anubias under that DW without any issues. Also the fish will probably appreciate the darker area.
    Oh sweet, might have to go get my hands on some then.
    I was thinking about taking the black backing off the tank so the white wall helps reflect light in tank.
    What do you think?

Also, would this tank be considered as high light? Looking at buying a co2 kit at the moment but want to make sure I have the appropriate lighting for it first also.

Quote Originally Posted by luked View Post
    I was thinking about taking the black backing off the tank so the white wall helps reflect light in tank.

Also, would this tank be considered as high light? Looking at buying a co2 kit at the moment but want to make sure I have the appropriate lighting for it first also.
    IF you have a white wall, you can add a back light as well. You will need to play a little and see what you prefer./

I am unsure whether you will be classed as high light; I don't think so. I almost never recommend 'high' light as it will cause algae issues. You can add CO2 anytime without worrying about the light as much.

IF you have a white wall, you can add a back light as well. You will need to play a little and see what you prefer./

I am unsure whether you will be classed as high light; I don't think so. I almost never recommend 'high' light as it will cause algae issues. You can add CO2 anytime without worrying about the light as much.
    I guess my end goal is to be able to grow the plants ive bought from you and get the best coloring and growth out of them.
    Perhaps I could add a small LED strip light to the back of the tank that is just out of view from everyone else. Might be worth having a play around with.

I guess my end goal is to be able to grow the plants ive bought from you and get the best coloring and growth out of them.
    Perhaps I could add a small LED strip light to the back of the tank that is just out of view from everyone else. Might be worth having a play around with.
    Yes, do you think those areas are shaded? If so, add a strip or so. The tanks with hoods are a little tricky as condensation builds up and plays havoc on the LEDs and their drivers.

If in doubt, always add CO2 first and then think about light.

Yes, do you think those areas are shaded? If so, add a strip or so. The tanks with hoods are a little tricky as condensation builds up and plays havoc on the LEDs and their drivers.

If in doubt, always add CO2 first and then think about light.
    The shaded area under the driftwood is all I am worried about, bit concerned about water circulation also but we will see how it all goes. If I add an LED strip ill add it to the back of the tank on the glass, but out of site.

co2 is next on my hitlist before I buy fish, but I may end up with some Corydoras Davidsandsi before I get a chance.

UPDATE!!!

Got my hands on a few more plants, now have some hygrophilia (not sure of type) in the back left, but I think that this will be getting removed, the growth is gonna be too much for my tank I think.
    Scored ALL of that anubias for $50, picked what I wanted and have someone picking the rest up for $30 tomorrow, so happy with that!

Also, a pick of one of the 10 yellow cherry shrimp in the tank now

The MC is starting to melt badly, but at the same time there is a tonne of new growth, so not sure whats going on exactly.
    Rebel do you have any hints/tips to help the growth in my tank?

CO2 still in progress, prob be a christmas present to myself lol.

OH, and added 10 of the 30 Rummynose tetras and a Betta!!
    the 10 Corydoras Davidsandsi will get organised soon enough I hope, need to prioritise the $$$ lol.

My local LFS has also said they can get me a breeding pair of Bolivian Rams which im super excited about.
    Once I get around to getting the Rams ill remove the Beta and give him his own tank!

The MC is starting to melt badly, but at the same time there is a tonne of new growth, so not sure whats going on exactly.
    Rebel do you have any hints/tips to help the growth in my tank?

CO2 still in progress, prob be a christmas present to myself lol.
    Co2 will help.

If there is melting AND new growth, siphon the dead stuff out daily. This will reduce organics and help with the tank generally.

Co2 will help.

If there is melting AND new growth, siphon the dead stuff out daily. This will reduce organics and help with the tank generally.
    Hopefully the MC hangs in there until I can get CO2 into the tank!
    Will remove dead organics as best as I can, but most stems share dead and new leaves, so makes it hard haha

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast