Thread: Need urgent help with BBA please

Default Need urgent help with BBA please

Hey Guys, I need some help with BBA and the setup is as follows. I'm running makemyleds on my 1600ltr tank and I'm automatically dosing macro and micro nutrients daily. I got the recipe from Grubs at aquariumlife.com. My LEDs are running at 30% for 5 hours and I have just down some tests and the nitrate is 25 and the phosphate was nearly 10. So I'm assuming this is to high for low to medium plants with no co2.
    Do I need to back off my nutrient dosing to every 2nd or something? I have tried to add 50 Darwin shrimp and 6 Siamese algae eaters but they only lasted 4 days with one of my fish eating them all. I'm going to treat the tank with no more beard algae but long term what is the solution. Any help would be appreciated the plants are growing great but I need to get this algae under control.

Cheers Axl

Is anyone going to try and help me???

Hey dude, how bad's the problem? Any pics?

Definitely reduce your nutrient dosing and do a few large water changes. Do you gravel vacuum? if so, do more. Also clean the filter.

You can spot dose with peroxide, glut etc or whole tank dose with the one-two punch method.

I find that BBA is something that appears in tanks with driftwood until the tank is mature (say first 6-12 months). I do think there is merit in the idea that BBA can be associated with DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon) buildup in tanks with lots of wood, and tanks that are not maintained as frequently. I spot dose with peroxide but if it gets too much I go for a low dose of gluteraldehyde using Aquagreen's Dino Pee for the whole tank - not trying to blitz it in one go but rather I'll do a lower dose and then hit it again 24 hours later.

Swapping water/filter media from a mature tank can accelerate the maturation process.... which is really all about building stable microbial communities in the tank matched to stable water chemistry.
    Last edited by Grubs; 12-10-17 at 04:06 PM.

BBA can get a foot hold in any tank i have found and the amount of ferts or nitrates does not have much of a bearing on it. Grubs may have it with the DOC build up although i did get some going in my outdoor tank over winter and it was getting a really good flush with the winter rains. It does have a lot of driftwood in there.
    My solution is just to do the maintenance on the tank, WC, trim etc and spot treat the BBA. Doing the time consuming parts of tank maintenance is just part of owning one.