Thread: Transitioning anubius & microsorum pteropus to emersed

Default Transitioning anubius & microsorum pteropus to emersed

Can anyone give me some pointers for transitioning submerged grown anubius & microsorum pteropus to emersed growth?

I need to store some plants from a tank I'm rescaping & plan to add them to one of my paludaria once I rescape it so was thinking to try transitioning them to emersed growth in a seed raising mini greenhouse. My understanding is the rhizome & roots need to be under water but the leaves not. and the lighting lower than for submerged growth but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it better to use gravel as a substrate or do these plants benifit from soil?

Thanks for the help!

i'd just as soon tie or glue them to a rock and then plonk them in a shallow tub of water which you can then place into your greenhouse. that way, the rhizomes will be submersed. only issue is that they would ideally have circulation and some sort of feed.

i would not "plant" them into soil or substrate.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Ok thanks PIL that's easy to do.

I'll have to think re the circulation issue

I can easily dose them

Aquatic aroids (buce, Anubias, crypts, etc.) will usually benefit from misting when emersed. If going with the tray idea it might be a good idea to put in some air stones to create a bit of spray and extra humidity around the leaves.

As for planting rhizome plants into a soil/substrate (above water level) I've done it with Lagenandra and buce and haven't had too many issues. Buce grows an extensive root system when grown this way! Anubias I'm yet to try this way but I don't think I'll have any issues doing it when I get around to it. The largest issue you'll have if using a fine mix will be rhizomes sinking or being "pulled in" to the mix... I've been able to stop this by using a 1-2cm cap of gravel on top of the mix. I've already done this with a few plants (as can be seen in my greenhouse thread) and haven't had any issues.

Java fern I also tried a while back but I think I roasted it. I was growing it very early on in a bagged pot of perlite. If I'm to try it later on down the track it'll definitely be under mist.

Edit: I've also grown buce in plain inert gravel emersed and have found these plants to grow quickly and healthily. There are a few cherry shrimp in the tank they're being grown in and other pots of plants in the same tank have things like Osmocote and Dino Dung in them but apart from that they have no nutrients. I don't imagine Anubias will be any different, but of course what PiL says will be more beneficial.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 05-10-17 at 05:44 PM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Last time I did emersed anubia I just put them in a spare tank, heavy glass lid on top so basically sealed, hand misted once a day with water out my main aquarium and had an old T8 flouro on top. Gradually left the lid off for longer untill iys no longer needed. Java I find acclimatises better by using ebb and flow methods, I also do buce this way just because of the price of the plant its worth the extra effort!!!

Thanks Cryptocorynus. Good advice re misting & good to know re issues when planting into substrate

Thanks Surfydave. Was opening the lid for daily misting the only exchange of air between the tank & outside? When you used the ebb & flow approach with buce & java, how often do you have the ebb / flow cycles?

Well finally so many months later we have some new leaves!
    Guessing the warmer weather has finally triggered the growth

Here are a few of mine that were recently moved emersed without mist. New growth on both the "Windelov" and the A. barteri var. nana 'Petite'. With the Java fern the old (submersed) leaves are laying flat and the new emersed leaves are upright. The 'Petite' is bagged to keep the humidity high and the Java fern is being kept in a plastic container with the lid on. The Anubias is in soil and the Java fern is in ADA Amazonia. It would appear Java fern is easier than I thought!

Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 21-03-18 at 06:10 PM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Anubias is a marsh plant and not a true aquatic. Buy some from a nursery or petshop and put it in some basic potting mix and fertilise each week with thrive. Have the rhizome just under the surface of the soil, keep it in a shady area and water regularly. Swordplants can be grown in the same way, as can crpyts, hygrophillas and most other plants sold for aquariums. Swords and most others are fine in full sun over summer as long as they have water. I just had a tray of water under them that was bigger than the pot, eg: 30cm pot with 43cm tray. When the tray is dry, water the plant from above so the potting mix gets wet and keep watering until the tray fills up then don't water until there is no water left.

If you want to keep your current plants then put them in a container of water and let the water evaporate over a month or so. The plant will send up leaves that will grow out of the water. Use thrive liquid plant fertiliser on them and when the water has evaporated you will have a marsh plant and the leaves should get a lot bigger.

Crypto, Very nice work with the Java fern. I have found that the Java is very difficult to acclimatise to emersed. It is also somewhat fussy about temperature being high. I've had die out in my outside pond during the winter periods.