Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PiL's 2' Attempt At An Aesthetic Aquarium

Excellent.....a whole new dimension in home entertainment.
    I do feel the photo would be more impressive if you made a feature of the goo. I know it's there and I'm sure it's very slimey but I just can't SEE IT!
    Actually....don't worry....I'll be there in twenty minutes with plenty of extra slimey goo from my Mother Tank. It's another case of, "Why keep a dog and bark yourself?".
    Last edited by anthonyrae; 05-11-17 at 09:11 AM.

Hey Pil's, how are you finding the flow good enough with the aquaone 800 + reactor + inline heater? I'm thinking on the same setup but worried the flow won't be strong enough?
    Thanks

AR, plenty more where that came from, hey?

DDM, the flow is adequate, but i am using a hose return. I dont like spraybars and you definitely would not get enough water movement with one.
    Currently have a HOB running too full of charcoal to help remove any crap from the water and help polish. I'll remove this once i think the tankis stable.
    Depending on what fish i put in, i might add a small powerhead but we shall see.
    If i started again? i dunno if id go up a size in filter. There's quite a jump in output as well as wattage for aquaone. If there was another filter that fell halfway in terms of output, i might have gone that.
    Hope that helps.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Thumbs up

it's been 17 days since flooding and planting the crypts. all the emersed leaves (around half the total number of leaves on the plantlets i received) melted away but most are starting to sprout which is friggen awesome. only 3-5mm tips mind, but it means they have acclimatised and roots have settled. hooray for wendtii sp. crypts!

much of the slime has gone away from the wood (changed the locks on my door ), but has been replaced by a lot of soft algae. Especially on the glass (closest to the window).

apart from the crypts, the utricularia graminifolia has also sprouted new growth, another sure sign that ammonia has dropped. so now i'm thinking it's about time to introduce some DAS. maybe 20 should do it i think. will order on the weekend.

PS: on a side note, i want to eventually add false neon tetras to this tank. anyone seen them around lately?
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Thumbs Up

umm... i was away for a couple of days...

lol all good, it's still mostly soft algae but now there is filamentous bits as well. need to start dosing perhaps.

gonna be ordering that LCA fert and some NQAS this week i think and we'll see how she goes.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Haha maybe locking doors is not enough. Change those locks dude!

Good old wood fungus, harmless but grotty lookin'.

Hi
    Just want to share this content about algae which I found online, might be useful though.
    https://www.exoaquaristic.com.au/blo...l-your-problem

Quote Originally Posted by bonsaidriftwoodau View Post
    Hi
    Just want to share this content about algae which I found online, might be useful though.
    https://www.exoaquaristic.com.au/blo...l-your-problem
    Lol that is clearly your own website! This forum is full of useful information on how to combat algae...

Thanks for the algae tips

I noticed in my last photo what looked to be a snail. Found the sucker this morning and now it is squished. Seems to be the only living thing in the tank so far.

Gave the tank a good vac with garden hose but now i need to buy:
    Gravel vac
    Ferts (gonna give LCA all in 1 a go)
    Possibly tweezers
    Livestock
    - nqas
    - false neons (hopefully)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

I have used two bottles of the LCA liquid ferts now and they seem to be working really well.

My only concern is the NPK keeps crystalising/separating in the bottle, however you shouldn't have that problem in Sydney, especially in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    NPK keeps crystalising/separating in the bottle, however you shouldn't have that problem in Sydney, especially in summer.
    Jeff has pushed the concentration too far I think. I tried to do the same but ran into long term issues where the pump would clog up. I gave up eventually as the pump mechanisms are not that reliable to start with.

@Pil, with one snail, I hope you don't get infested. I know what I would do.

False neons would be great. I wonder whether they would hide all day inside the lovely wooden cove you have. How many are you getting? I hope 50 at least.

Seefu, keep your fert in the cabinet next to your filter.
    The new mix is supposed to be better.

50? Way too many for a 100l tank. I have 30 red phantoms in 200l and that seems too busy. I havent started to look yet, but they aren't very common so fingers crossed. If anyone has seen them, please let me know.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    Seefu, keep your fert in the cabinet next to your filter.
    The new mix is supposed to be better.
    I do it's hooked up to an auto doser in my cabinet. The new mix is way better than the first generation, but mine still separated. I ended up diluting the bottle into 1L of hot water and it hasn't separated since.
    Jeff does not have the problem in a warmer climate though.

Don't want to spoil the fun but what is the attraction with false neons? Aren't they like cardinals minus the red and more fussy in upkeep?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast