Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PiL's 2' Attempt At An Aesthetic Aquarium

Thumbs Up PiL's 2' Attempt At An Aesthetic Aquarium

Evening, Friends.
    Another new journal to share with you all but unlike my last one, this one will be in real time as from today.

After chatting with the usual suspects and gathering up bits for the last 6 months, I finally made the visit to Aquaristic today to buy the final pieces. Great friendly service i must say.
    Bought today amongst other things, a Fire tank 600 x 450 x 450 and an Aqua One ROC cabinet.

Talk about a mission to build. The instructions for the cabinet aren't that great but luckily i'm a blackbelt in Ikea furniture assembly so got it sorted in about an hour.

Anyway, the catalyst for this whole thing was reading a rumour about the brand new AI Prime HD freshwater... i asked an old hobbyist about it and he not only confirmed this rumour but offered to get one for me. It helps that he owns a LFS (marine-centric).

So far, the cabinet is assembled and that's about it.
    ...and i opened all the boxes. Here's a before shot for someone special who i hope sees this:

by PiLus MaXimus, on Flickr

As for the cabinet, not a fan of the piano black finish. I will be cladding this with whitewashed timber to tszuj it up a bit.

2017-09-28_10-38-56 by PiLus MaXimus, on Flickr

thanks for reading.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Looks like a great bit of kit indeed! What sort of scape are you thinking?

I think king of diy has those lights that you speaketh of.....

I think the king of diy is using new Ecotech lights

Nice Start

No idea who this diy king is.
    I picked up on the rumour on Jeff's fb page and the instigator was the local AI distribution rep it turns out. After a bit of searching around it seems it's going to be a global launch and many people are holding their breath for it. He shared this image with me:

Got the juices going.

Due to being a single point source of light the plan is to have lots of shadows and ripples from the driftwood:

Picked this piece up from petbarn castle hill homemaker centre. Literally popped my head in to buy some treats for the dog and saw this. Had to have it.

Might be a bit too big for the tank so we shall see...
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Nice!

I a similar setup with the walnut coloured cabinet and a gen3 radion, you may need two of those AI primes for a 2ft tank.

yeah mate.
    saw the walnut one but since im gonna clad it, went the smooth surface as i thought moisture could get trapped in the grooves of the walnut. It's a pretty sturdy unit and for $180 i'm happy with it. i had actually been looking for a nice sideboard or buffet and had budgeted $1000. might cost me $20 for the wood cladding so winning there at $200.
    the only caveat is that the cupboard is split in 2 so quite narrow. i may return the sera co2 reactor and just swap it for an in tank diffuser.
    fitting the canister filter, co2 cylinder and diy inline heater will be quite a squeeze i think.

Nah, gonna stick to 1 light. i want the dramatic effect of a single light point. bought the metal stand together with the light so should be right. besides i prefer low light plants and there will be expanses of no plants. ... which brings me to rock hardscape...
    i've got 10kg of pisces red lava rock but i'm not digging the colour... even the purple would have been better so regretting that a bit. i'll give it a go and see if it grows on me.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

This is the diy king in question. Does some interesting stuff. Currently building a huge aquarium gallery.

https://m.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

Interested to see how these light perform!

Can't wait for what you will be doing with this one too.

Ecotech and AI linked together. Guess Joey is using them.

Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    I think the king of diy is using new Ecotech lights
    Fire up the light. Interested to see how it goes. Might use on a 40cm cube I'm thinking of doing.
    Last edited by mundi; 30-09-17 at 03:57 PM.

I managed to fit both an eheim 2224 and a 2.6kg fire extinguisher into one side of the cupboard, I use an inline diffuser on the intake side of the filter and an inline heater. The other side of the cupboard I store all foods, tools and the transformer for the light.

Can't wait to see you put it all together!

DIY inline heater + CO2 reactor + CO2 cylinder + canister is gonna be squishy. worried that there will be too many kinks and corners.
    haven't tried it yet so we shall see.

for anyone who wants information on the AI prime freshwater:

http://www.aquaillumination.com/ligh...reshwater.html

cant wait to get my hands on the app to fiddle with settings.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Looks good! nice light, what mount did you get? the flex arm looks good, not as chunky as some other brands

Here is a picture of mine squished together, my inline heater is outside the cabinet, there is room to hide it behind the cabinet. Hope this is of some use to you PiL

Bubble counter won't count bubbles if its horizontal!

That reg assy is intented for a vertical mount - like you get on the smaller co2 cylinders. Hence the weird BC orientation.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast