Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: PiL's 2' Attempt At An Aesthetic Aquarium 60x45x45

Cool

geezus. the stuff costs $69!
    anyone had any experience just letting the planaria and hydra go wild?

the tank as of a couple days ago. just gave the front glass a quick wipe down after letting the thing go wild for 2 weeks.
    UG needs trimming back and a bit of new bba on wood but am really surprised that that's really it. just lots of algae on the glass was the only major outbreak, and even that came off easily. oh and the shrimp dislodging ada soil onto the sand. the whole thing needs a good vac.

after this holiday, i am going to steadily bring all fert and light levels down as it is approaching the level of flora i wanted. Would still love the crypts to bush up but i dont think i have the room. Need to thin out the wendtii mi oya. It's growing so tall.

windelov has really blossomed (love it) and the mini bolbitis is amazeballs.

[sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Love the backlighting of those red crypts.!

I'm sure I have some no planaria kicking around somewhere, Ill find it and get it to you.

Cheers solomon. When did the price (triple?) jump so high...

The light is just reflecting off the back wall back into the tank. And all the leaves of the mi oya face backwards because the ambient light from the north facing window is behind and just to the side. I just wish it would put out more leaves and turn into a bush. The other wendtiis (brown and green) are small and nicely shaping up. The tropica is nice but much smaller than the previous strain i grew. Not a bad thing!

Really wanna bite the bullet on a wavemaker so that i can ditch the hob...
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Looking good. How much CO2 are you running these days?

With regard to flow, I ran into problems even at 1100L/hr (i measured my filters manually) with my two filters at this tank size. Yours is more design so increasing your filter grunt may save you from having more stuff in the tank.

Hows the shrimp survival rates?

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    Cheers solomon. When did the price (triple?) jump so high...

The light is just reflecting off the back wall back into the tank. And all the leaves of the mi oya face backwards because the ambient light from the north facing window is behind and just to the side. I just wish it would put out more leaves and turn into a bush. The other wendtiis (brown and green) are small and nicely shaping up. The tropica is nice but much smaller than the previous strain i grew. Not a bad thing!

Really wanna bite the bullet on a wavemaker so that i can ditch the hob...
    Found it! ill PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Looking good. How much CO2 are you running these days?

With regard to flow, I ran into problems even at 1100L/hr (i measured my filters manually) with my two filters at this tank size. Yours is more design so increasing your filter grunt may save you from having more stuff in the tank.

Hows the shrimp survival rates?
    Same amount of co2 - 2 bps
    I dont have problems with flow, i just want more than i have for visual appeal.
    Dont think i have a problem with shrimp dying either but have discovered a chameleon shrimp lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOMON View Post
    Found it! ill PM you.
    Maaaate.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Arrow

some updates.

bought some new hardware additions:
    - i scrapped the wavemaker idea and went with an internal powerhead instead (eheim compact 300). i lucked out, the flow seems to be perfect. and more importantly the hob is now gone
    - also bought an autofeeder (eheim everyday fish feeder) for my time away. nice bit of kit and the girl on the youtube ad is amazing btw.

plants:
    - the UG and MC have gone stupid so i am trimming them right back before i go away.
    - i have decided not to clean the glass on the back half of the tank. worried that the otos might go hungry.
    - crypt wendtii mi oya is getting even taller but i wish it would bush out rather than up.
    - US fiss balls are looking lovely

other notes:
    - first water change in ages today (no gravel vac).
    - i noticed the planaria come out shortly after feeding.
    - have also noted several baby fish swimming around. (the upside of all the UG floating around) may have to unload some of the embers as i plan to pick up some false neons on my return (fingers crossed!)

lots of pics:

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Looking good, how long are you away for? Wish i could get UG to grow like that, mine has just started to get going and im gonna break down the tank soon.

False neons would look great in this tank. They will probably hang out in the dark areas and hopefully glow. Otherwise you can up the blue/UV channel slightly....

Those are some of the brightest Ember tetras I've seen. A very nice tank PiL.

away for 2 weeks.
    the UG went berserk shortly after ammonia went to zero. probably sped up because it's at the top of the tank which is closer to the light.

i have missed out on false neons twice already. 3rd time's a charm...

the embers are beauties for sure, but the little fry are something else. so intense in colour, perfectly formed and cute.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Hey Pil. What kelvin rating do you have your light set on. Stupid me. Found it in an earlier post. Do you find 6500k a bit yellow?? I just bought one to go on my 40cm cube project.

If you loosen the grub screw on the base you can spin it around so the thumb screw is outside the tank if it bugs you to have it inside.
    Last edited by mundi; 28-02-18 at 09:13 PM.

Mundi, you must be a member of the 8000 club. Welcome! :P

8000 club???

Quote Originally Posted by mundi View Post
    8000 club???
    8000k colour temperature.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast