Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My 5 footer - finally

thanks for your feedback guys, i will start adding the MgSO4 to my Macro mix.

I looked hard for snails last night and could only find two. I took a picture of one of them, anyone know what type of snail it is and if it is one that may grow out of control? cheers

Those pond snails are not that bad. I would remove though as I don't think they add anything beneficial over and above shrimp.

dont worry mate.. i am in kill mode, and introducing those loaches asap. In the meantime i found my planting tongs are jus the thing for them, i can get the tongs easily into any position in my tank, sniper shots

thanks for your help rebel

One last comment about snails is that I am in favour of removing the snail rather than squishing them. I am unsure whether any eggs can be released if you simply squish. I just remove and carefully place in a very dry part of the garden/ or hot plate/ sealed jar.

one thing i have learnt over the past few weeks, stem plants are high maintenance lol.. good thing i am still enjoying it but i think that as the tank fills out i will be replacing some of these with something else.

nearly killed of my little crop of ludwigia sp mini reds and Rotala Vietnam. The Vietnam is hanging in the balance with just select few stems still planted but currently not showing growth. Due to this i have replaced the Rotala Vietnam growing area with Mayaca Fluviatilis.

On a positive note the Rotala Green has finally started to take off, hopefully filling the back left in the next couple of weeks.

Was thinking of putting some crypts behind the Blxa Japonica and behind that some tall hair like plants (similiar thin leaves to the blyxa) that will grow to the surface. Anyone got any suggestions of their favourites i can use here?

The AR mini and Rotala Roundfolia still have not coloured to what i was expecting. The AR mini has brownish leaves on top and more of a red underneath. The Roundfolia has nearly completed it transformations of the leaves from a rounded to a more oval shape but it is still quite green, i was under the impression that this will become more of a red/brown colour. Am i just impatient or am i doing somethig wrong? currently dosing 1\2 strenght EI, macros and micros on alternate days, lights on for 8 hrs and drop checker turns green by the time the lights come on (2.5hrs prior to lights)

Plants aside, have also added fish. The congo's are just brilliant and already have colour, the Praecox are nice fish and the large male has really taking a liking to a female congo which is making for excellent display of the male congos with this praecox.

The rummy's are my favourite, they just love to play and are a great schoolig fish. I was going to get some other species but now thinking of just getting another 15 Rummy's and having that as my main school. The neons must still be afraid and hide most of the time.

Got 3 flying fox's and these guys are amazing at cleanig up algae. They work tirelessly and have nearly totally cleared my tank of hair algae. Put in two bristlenose in last weekend, one albino and one peppermint as i wasnt sure which i preferred, i love both so will be stocking up on another 4 of these, two of each.. They have nearly cleared all diatoms from myt rocks which where turning brown but will soon be their original colour again.

Apart from that i have an order of 6 dwarf Chain loaches to go in and deal with the snails.

I was wondering if anyone here vacuum's their substrate or is it just left to sit on the bottom and break up into the soil to feed the plants?

bit of a long winded post but yeah thats whats been happening down my neck of the woods the past couple of weeks.

Looking good mate! I have many similar plants to you, I think the super red needs higher intensity lighting to grow nice and compact. Mine tends to get a bit leggy when I am lazy with maintenance and the tank becomes overcrowded.

thanks sweefu, the ludgwigia and vietnam were growing great.............. untill i trimmed them. Though i would increase the amount of stems and cut them them quite low and replanted the stems. Also chopped the crap out of the vietnam. I am not sure if it was this or the temp (got up to 28C) but the newly planted stems of ludwigia and vietnam just died off, no real growth in the tank for a week. Ludwigia is growing back well and should be good in next few weeks but the vietnam is on its death bed.

Tank is coming along really nicely. Patients is needed. I think it will fill out to be a jungle before you know it.
    Every tank, and even just some people, have different things that grow well and plants that just fail. I just swapped out for a few erio shiga's and put the healthiest one in my shrimp tank. I thought it would do best there and i put the runt of the two plants in a tank that might be able to grow it. The one in the shrimp tank just melted away while the other one melted a bit and is coming back strong.

thanks Madmerv, strange how certain plants fail in some tanks and not others.. are your parameters much differrent in the two tanks? I reckon i spend around 2hrs per week to keep it trimmed and not looking like a jungle and believe this will only increase as time goes on. But hey once if it starts getting too much and i start neglecting it, time to get some slow growers

Looking very nice.

Maybe plant the tops when you trim and remove the bottom bits. That can help the plant rejuvenate.

Those Congos look magnificent.

needs more rainbows
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Looks great and good combination of fish.

+1 on the Congos! Stunning

Hi Krabs
    Mate it could be a few things that that are causing a lack of red in your plants, my first thought is lack of intensity in your light. You can also increase red in your plants by starving it of nitrogen.
    In my honest opinion I wouldn’t change anything, if a plant struggles then replace it with something else. If a plants leaves don’t turn red but is healthy leave it. If the leaves that are near the top of the plant appear redder than those lower down then that may be an indicator of light intensity. Krabs remember that leaving your lights on for longer doesn’t make up for lack of light intensity. Half strength EI is plenty. I wouldn’t change anything, the tank is relatively algae free, the plants look healthy you said you are pruning the stems often. Be patient. You are on the right track with the tank, enjoy it!
    Having a tank full of health Plants and fish is the Ants pants.
    Last edited by bolsy; 28-11-17 at 07:01 PM.
    Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast