Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 5 footer - finally

Mrcrabs, why do you need to increase your pH?
    When you selected your particular substrate, surely you knew what it's effects on your water wouuld be?

If you try and engage a battle with your tank the opposite of where it's centre is, you will lose.

You have set up an acidic tank, so embrace it and set it up accordingly. Additives are just going to spin you into a spiral of despair and tears. Know your tank and work WITH it, not against.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Hi Pil, my worry was that the test kit was reading a pH of 6 while it could be 4.5 where the cycle might stall. Any thoughts on this?

I agree with your philosophy of embracing the final pH btw.

Quote Originally Posted by PiL View Post
    Mrcrabs, why do you need to increase your pH?
    When you selected your particular substrate, surely you knew what it's effects on your water wouuld be?

If you try and engage a battle with your tank the opposite of where it's centre is, you will lose.

You have set up an acidic tank, so embrace it and set it up accordingly. Additives are just going to spin you into a spiral of despair and tears. Know your tank and work WITH it, not against.
    thats just the thing mate, i did read into substrates quite a bit but never knew that it would decrease the pH, not sure how i missed that but yeah i did

In regards to embracing the conditions i have, i fully embrace this mentality as it will be too hard to keep it at an optimal range of choice, but my reasons for wanting a higher pH is below. Dont get me wrong i am not trying to alter my pH to get above 7, but would be nice if i can get it slightly acidic say around 6.6

One reason to increase pH was because i had read that cycling the tank can slow dramatically and even stall if it drops below 6. I want to cycle it as soon as possible as i am putting plants in next week and its been close to 3 weeks now and still have the same ammonia levels as when i started around 2-3ppm

the other reason is long term stability in regards to buffering. from what i understand a lower pH has a direct relationship with a low buffer, which will lead to higher chance of pH swings, which wont be good for my fish or plants, so increase the buffer through increasing water hardness seams like a good way forward.

I figure that adding marble chips would be the best way forward, wont deplete anywhere as quick as shell grit and once the marble takes effect it should be quite stable. Well that is my theory on it and it just comes from researching on the net (yes i know half the stuff out there is crap) but apart from that and forum advice its all i got to go with.
    Last edited by MrKrabs; 12-10-17 at 10:52 AM.

the other thing is i havnt turned on my CO2 yet, which will again lower my pH even further?

I'm not big on theory and I don't test my water. I'm not saying this with pride but I have found you can have a tank running satisfactorily without too much chemistry interference.
    Had a quick look through this thread and my observations are:
    1. Your tank is large, it eventually should be quite stable possibly at a more acidic level.
    2. Once you plant it, it will be more stable. If you have time to read apistogramma.com they don't measure a lot because in an acidic environment the readings are not that accurate and can fluctuate. their advice is: plant it and don't worry too much. See entries by member dw1305 on apistogramma.com who discusses worries re instability at low pH a lot.
    3. Do your stocking slowly. In your case easy because your tank is so big. You can easily start with 10 small fish and see what happens. If you go for hardy fish in the beginning safer still.
    4. If you are still worried you can always do more regular water changes to keep things more stable.
    5. As mentioned above, embrace the softness. There are many fish that will thrive at low pH. Probably plants too.
    Last edited by happyfins; 12-10-17 at 02:29 PM. Reason: unfinished sentence, typo

Bingo.
    Right now, the best thing you can do is daily water changes. Once your ammonia and nitrites disappear you can probably reduce to weekly and then fortnightly etc.
    At that point, you will find that things are pretty steady.
    That's all most plants and fish need. A steady environment.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

both you guys have valid points, after all i have been running my previous tank for 15 years successfully and didnt even own a pH or ammonia test kit.. mind you my plant growth/health was just average

I guess i am just interested in learning more about how things work in the tank this time. i want to know and understand the balance between water chemistry, CO2, lighting and ferts.

I really want this to become a really nice looking tank with super healthy plant life, and i guess to go to the next level you really need to understand how all these parameters relate to each other.

Hi guys.. quick update

yesterday i added the first round of plants.. so far

AR mini
    Repens
    Pogostemon Helferi
    Hygrophila Araguia

Looking good. Show us your progress over the next few weeks.

thanks Rebel.. will do mate

Did a bit more planting over the weekend and now nearly done. Just waiting on the parva. Tank is looking a lot more lively now

there's certainly been good growth in the week between photos!

i couldn't see if you'd started your CO2 yet. if not, crank it.

are you keeping up your water changes? there seems to be a green twinge to your tank.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

hi PiL yes growth seems to be going well.. yep got CO2 setup, see the pics i posted last week. i have the lights on 8 hrs a day, CO2 goes on 1 hr prior to lights and goes off 1 hr before lights go out. Not sure on how much CO2 i am pumping in, i am totally new to CO2. but my bubble counter is doing around 2-3 bubbles per second.. is this enough you reckon?

the water is getting much clearer, it was really cloudy up untill the weekend i reckon when i did my last water change. I do around 50% every 4-5 days.

Also added 10 neons to help the cycling process. I went down the fishless cycling path with the Dr Tims ammonium solution, but after a month i still have around .5 ppm in what i think is ammonium and zero nitrites and zero nitrates.. i guess i wasted my time and money on that method, live and learn hey

Looking good. Is your CO2 setup new. Are you happy with it. Where is it from. Would a 'never used CO2 before' be able to set it up. Yes I do have lots of questions. I have received many great plants from people on here and considering CO2. I read a lot of reviews and get more confused.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast