Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 5 footer - finally

Cool My 5 footer - finally

Finally started my new tank.. really didnt have much of an idea of what to do and ended up with this. I did not realise how hard it was to arrange hardscape

The pics below do not show the true colour of the tank, for some reason the phone makes it look blue but there is no blue in the tank at all and looks quite white (like a cool white led). will try take some more pics tonight to try get a true representation of colour. The rocks are a very dark charcoal, backing is black.

Tank size 150(L) x 50(D) x 65(H)
    Lighting: Multilux LED
    CO2 will be running once plants go in (CO2art)
    Fluval FX4
    Eheim 2228 Pro (yep this baby is still running strong 15 years on)
    Substrate: catsan kitty litter on bottom / Cal Black Earth Premium

I am also planning to add the following plants. If anyone can advise if they are suitable, or your thoughts about plant selection in general that would be greatly appreciated. I plant to fertilise with a lean dosing method for micro and macro using PMDD + Phosphate.

Background
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Rotala sp Green
    Ludwigia Brevipe

Midground
    Rotala Vietnam
    Linderina SP Variegated (roundfolia)
    Ludwigia Glanulosa
    Mayaca Fluviatilis
    Ludwigia Ovalis

Mid/foreground
    Staurogyne repens
    Pogostemon Helferi*
    Alternanthera Reineckii mini
    Anubias nana

Foreground
    Crypt Parva

Last edited by MrKrabs; 25-09-17 at 11:59 AM.

try http://tinypic.com/

copy/paste the forum pic code

Looking good, when balancing big rocks like that make sure they cant shift / fall when you are doing maintance etc, could be risky if they could easily fall.

RE the light I had quick google and if this is the same light it looks like it has a daylight and night time tube? https://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/Pro...ED-Light-Unit/

May be the night tube making it appear more blue / white?

thanks mate.. yeah i have secured those rocks quite well.. as you can see from the pics below they are actually sitting on a drainage cells. Most of the rocks have pointy ends which sit securely in the holes on their own and with the dirt around them they sit securely. only a big bump on my end will make the big one fall.

I am attempting to make the plants the main focus in the tank by keeping the hardscape as simple as possible and not taking up to much space. I like the rocks but not sure on the wood placement. Originally i had the wood facing the other way up but couldn't really decide so thought best to just chuck it in now to get the tank cycling and move it later if need be.

what do you think.. up or down?

[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YRHcpk]
    Last edited by MrKrabs; 26-09-17 at 06:45 AM.

From a design perspective, I would remove those woods. Otherwise that look is fine. You can cover it partially with various plants. Drainage cells was a great idea. Looks solid.

Scapes are a personal thing so if you like the look then go with it.
    Personally i would have clustered the right side rocks a little closer together.
    The wood seems to lead the eye from the base of the left rocks to the top of the right rocks. Your scape is really designed with the left rocks as the focal point with the right ones as a supporting act. I'm sure there is a Japanese name for that. I feel that somehow the wood should be leading to the base of the right rocks because they are the smaller ones.
    Great job with the drainage cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmerv View Post
    Scapes are a personal thing so if you like the look then go with it.
    Absolutely!

The rock only layout is an Iwagumi as per the Japanese scaping rules.

thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

rebel your right on that. I love aspects of many scapes i have looked at over the past few months. I love the Iwagumi, the Dutch and the biotope/river, my plan is to frankenstein aspects of all three together but we will see how this goes, whether it works or not will be evident in the near future.

Madmerv your are 100% spot on with your interpretation of the flow of the hardscape. this is exactly what i wanted to achieve so pretty happy you picked it.

in regards to the wood, i have the next couple of weeks to keep looking and playing around with the it to see which idea flows better, the wood as it is now or as it is in the other pics when setting up outside the tank.

When settng up the rocks outside the tank I orginally had them clustered closer together, but needed to put stability before design as they sat in the darainage cells better where they are now. The drainage cells had a smaller hole, next to a bigger hole, next to a smaller hole etc. On the plus side i now have a little more gap between them to be able to plant between them.

my final hurdle, and its a biggie, is to plan how the plants will be arranged to work with the hardscape and not against it. This is where the Dutch influence will be evident

So far so good. It's coming along nicely.

thanks Danstrasy

Hi Krabs
    So far so good with the scape, agree with rebel get rid of the wood or put more in that is up in the water sticking out like long fingers.
    Also what are the rocks sitting on and where do you get the stuff. was looking at a few layers of egg crate sheets for my new tank, but what you have may be better.
    Cheers Tony.
    Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

does anyone know what those little cube things are that Krabs is using as packing?
    Not all mid-life crisis involve a sports car

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    they sat in the darainage cells better where they are now.
    Drainage Cell

Some landscaping yards and waterproofing trade shops sell it. Panels can be cheap if you can find a local supplier.

Krabs has the bigger size - I found the 20mm with decent shipping here: https://www.waterpro.com.au/shop/pro...136?category=9 edit: FYI shop is in Adelaide

edit: If you need big stuff perhaps this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/cirtex-s...avers_p3452192
    Last edited by Grubs; 27-09-17 at 07:16 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast