Thread: Breaking up Sieryu stone

Default Breaking up Sieryu stone

I have never broken up Sieryu stone until now. I have found that the inside of the stones are quite dark whereas the outside is very gray. The contrast is too much for the rocks to look natural against each other. Does the gray colour return over time??

Many thanks!

The grey does return.

The same thing happens when you acid dip the rocks, they become black but over time in the water they turn grey again - must be a precipitate of some kind, also explains high TDS when using seiryu stone, they have a lot of calcite. I think there are some photos in one of my older threads, during DSM they were black, after a month submerged they had turned grey again.

I'm getting ready to start a new 4ft, and just acid cleaned my seiryu stone - i'll post some photos today.

Breaking sieryu is not easy. When I tried I ended up with sheer surfaces and they looked a bit rubbish. It's a main reason why I prefer ohko/dragon rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by a_ramo View Post
    The grey does return.

The same thing happens when you acid dip the rocks, they become black but over time in the water they turn grey again - must be a precipitate of some kind, also explains high TDS when using seiryu stone, they have a lot of calcite. I think there are some photos in one of my older threads, during DSM they were black, after a month submerged they had turned grey again.

I'm getting ready to start a new 4ft, and just acid cleaned my seiryu stone - i'll post some photos today.
    Ah that's a relief. I was quite worried about it as it looks so different. It looked different enough for me to think that I had smashed up the blue stone that's commonly found in landscaping suppliers rather than Sieryu.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrasy View Post
    Breaking sieryu is not easy. When I tried I ended up with sheer surfaces and they looked a bit rubbish. It's a main reason why I prefer ohko/dragon rocks.
    True. You almost wish that they can go in a cement mixer for a few days to slightly round the edges a little. This is for my Fluval edge so it's not a competition level scape. I can live with the crappy pieces as long as I can use some to soften the larger rocks. Will post picture soon.

Thanks boys for the responses.

If you pressure clean them.... they come out almost looking almost like glossy black plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ageofaquariums View Post
    If you pressure clean them.... they come out almost looking almost like glossy black plastic.
    I see! That make sense. The surface must get oxidised or something eventually to make the gray? Wonder what compound ?
    Last edited by Rebel; 21-09-17 at 07:41 AM.

I've been digging ( ) a little...
    http://reynolds.asu.edu/azvt/mv_color_rocks.htm