Thread: Advice needed to setup a new tank

Default Advice needed to setup a new tank

Hi all lovely people here:

2 years ago I have to gave up my first ever, small but well loved red cherry shrimps tank with driftwood and lots of lovely plants, in order to move into my current place.

2 years later, I can finally afford my own place & is going to get a new tank in 2 weeks, so exciting:dance:

At the moment I'm thinking aqua one 620T, like it a bit taller so more of an eye level, good choice?

Initially I was still thinking a shrimp tank, this time want to have yellow cherries, red crystal, red nose shrimps & maybe also some ghost shrimps - depends on what I can get at that time. From my research they can live together? And how many each is best to start with? Any other suggestions?

My LFS also recommend that I can also have around 20 small fishes in a tank that size, like tetra, guppies, endlers & rasboras. I do like small / very small fishes, but can they actually live with my shrimps without hurting them?

With plants, from my previous (one time :-P) experience, I'd like to have some moss, thinking Phoenix / Christmas / Taiwan / java as carpet. Maybe also lilaeopsis mauritius, marsilea minuta or marsilea hirsuta, which I haven't had any experience with.

Front & mid ground - anubias nana, anubias coffeefolia, bolbitus, windelov fern, needle java fern. I was also thinking crypts wendtil green, pogostemon helferi, water wisteria (some people said this can be a carpet plant?). Normal java fern and I were not comparatable last time, they were struggling when others thrive?! Don't know why...

Cause my previous tank was a small one, I didn't have any experience regarding biggger / taller plants. I had a bit of research and these seems easy / beginners / low light background plants - jungle val, hornwort, bacopa moneri, bacopa caroliniana, rotala indica, amazon sword, apomogentous & vallisnevia.

It would be great if someone can give me some advice I'm after a low maintenance tank. Other than 2 heaters & a thermometer, a 40cm gold vine and of course substrate, I won't be adding anything else to the tank. Thank you everyone for reading.

If possible I'd love to get my plants & shrimps here, oh well no shrimps for at least another 6-8 weeks

I used to have 620, not T. I found the lighting problematic because the filter on top takes up a lot of space. The lighting will be worse if you go for T.
    In general I prefer standard tanks to high tanks. Lighting I mentioned, also fish prefer swimming to and fro to up and down but it is an individual choice.
    I have shrimp in all my tanks together with dwarf cichlids, rainbow fish and tetras. As long as there is enough cover in the form of moss the shrimp should survive to some degree but might not be as active in daytime. Little fish should be ok but will pick off a baby shrimp if they can.
    It seems to me like you are planning to pack a lot of plants into a tank with little surface area. I would have difficulty keeping all those plants in a 1.2m without it looking cramped so 60 cm of 620T will be difficult. Coffefolia and bolbitis grow pretty big. Needle java will be more difficult than normal java fern. I have never had success with pogo helferi.
    Low maintenance with low light plants (anubias/java fern/crypts) should be fine. Anything else I would get a regular tank with LED. Perhaps 620T has LED now I don't know, didn't used to.

From my experience:
    1. Guppies will harass adult shrimps and eat shrimplets. But like happyfin says, if enough moss cover is available, then they'll survive.
    2. Ghost shrimps can kill and eat RCSs.
    3. If you have many types of fish/shrimps on your bucket list, then for shrimps I suggest 5 for each type (3f2m or 2f3m).
    For your reference, my RCSs started at 5 individuals (4 females and 1 male), and in less than a month they gave birth to around 50 shrimplets(2 females' loads, the other 2 weren't pregnant by the time of the only male's death), then the number dropped due to heavy metal pollution. Then the shrimplets grew up and began to breed, but due to the introduction of guppies, calculation is no longer possible as most shrimps now hide in the moss.

Thanks happyfins for the advice & point out potential lighting problem, I had a quick look & seems they now have LED lights so should be fine.

With plants I was so lucky to be able to bought off a cheap starter pack low light plants, the ones you mentioned - anubias & java fern, also got some of my favourites - bolbitus, windelov fern, needle leaf java fern & subwassertang

I still don't know why but last time all my java fern (4 small ones) were turning brown-ish where as all others - windelov fern, needle leaf java fern, bolbitius, anubias nana, java moss & Christmas/ Taiwan moss were all thriving. Hope this time the 2 normal java fern will like my tank more

I will take your advice on board and start with the above plants (I know I got bobbitus but I really love them ), 2 each, and buy some phoenix moss & that's it. What do you think?

Thank you melbournetank1 for your advice, appreciated.
    1. I won't get any guppies then, the LFS guy told me they are gentle & not aggressive lucky I asked here, thanks!
    2. Okay no ghost shrimps too - is ghost shrimp same as glass shrimps?
    3. Not sure whether I can choose sexes but I'll try my best, seems 3f2m sounds better

Oh wow that's impressive! Your tank must be an excellent environment for them to breed like crazy, well done! I will definitely take your advice re guppies as I wanna to see my shrimps

Next week I can have my tank, yay!!

Hi bblaw, you're surely welcome

Yes, glass shrimps = ghost shrimps.

To tell the sexes of RCSs can be tricky, but generally speaking, those with eggs under the belly or with a yellow saddle under the head carapace are 100% females, while those with smaller body size and more transparent color tend to be males.

RCSs are very easy to breed, as long as you provide food and shelter and keep the temperature etc. right. The most dangerous thing to watch for is heavy metal pollution, which can quickly kill shrimps. To avoid that, don't use water boiled in any metal container to treat vegetable leaves for feeding, that's how I lost my shrimplets.

Good luck ;D

So I’ve now have my tank for 8 months & I’m loving every moment of it!! Thanks to everyone who gave me advice before

Livestock-wise initially I bought 7 yellow cherry & 2 crystal red

https://preview.ibb.co/jKFUcy/F30419...FFA9694_AC.jpg

This is how the tank looks now, and that 7 yellow shrimps grows into 70ish, but 1 of the crystal red died & the remaining one loss it’s white I’ve also added 10 golden bee & planning to order some algae shrimp & red nose shrimps from aquagreen soon

https://preview.ibb.co/b1o4AJ/5_EEC1..._E60_DEFBC.jpg