Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: It's outdoor tub season! Few questions regarding setup & discussion

I know a lot of Koi breeders use small portable swimming pools to grow-out fry. One guy collapses them and stacks them away for winter and uses kiddie pools about 1.5M diameter. Maybe 60cm deep.
    I have kept Endlers and Cherry Shrimp in large tubs over winter. A north facing position gets maximum light in winter and avoids the worst heat in summer. A glass lid helps a lot in winter because the sun shines through the glass and heats the water but the glass is not a good conductor of heat and keeps the temp up longer.
    My favourite semi emerse plant for tub or pond start-up is Watercress.Buy a $2 bunch at the supermarket and hang the cuttings over the edge with the cut ends in about 2cm of water.Roots in a few days and makes a great Nitrate pump and fry saver.

Is anyone growing java fern amor bolbitis in their outdoor tubs?

I re-scaped my big tank recently and I have a bunch of NL Java and bolbitis I would like to save for a future Scape.

I could set up a spare tank to hold the plants until I'm ready to use them, but I have two tubs sitting outside I could throw them in. I'm just a bit concerned about the temperature and might level fluctuations - has anyone grown these plants outside before?

Cheers

I have struggled with Java outside in Sydney (although it didn't completely die) but my tub was very small so may not be a good example for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I have struggled with Java outside in Sydney (although it didn't completely die) but my tub was very small so may not be a good example for you.
    Thanks Rebel, do you think this was due to fluctuating temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    Thanks Rebel, do you think this was due to fluctuating temperature?
    Perhaps but maybe it didn't receive enough light? Not sure. I was able to grow emersed Mint and water cress without issues though.

Perhaps but maybe it didn't receive enough light? Not sure. I was able to grow emersed Mint and water cress without issues though.
    Ok cheers. If anything I think mine gets too much light, I've had to double up on shade cloth.

I've thrown a clump of each plant into a tub as a test - I'll post results soon.

Any update? Keen to see how everyone's tubs are coming along.

Quote Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
    Any update? Keen to see how everyone's tubs are coming along.
    Let us see your outdoor tubs...

I've only got my mosquito breeder this year. Maybe I should start a late tub.... Don't have a great location with power available. It's best if you can at least run a sponge filter I reckon. Some water movement etc.

I've only got my mosquito breeder this year. Maybe I should start a late tub.... Don't have a great location with power available. It's best if you can at least run a sponge filter I reckon. Some water movement etc.
    I don't have power where I run my tub so I built a small 60W solar system to power an air pump 24/7 for the sponge filter.

Quote Originally Posted by indir View Post
    Let us see your outdoor tubs...
    Haha. I'll send you a pic this weekend if I get a chance. You should have come have a look when you were up here.

I think this is fine, my air pump is in my garage next to the power point, then I ran a 10m hose outside to my tubs.

Quote Originally Posted by jc12 View Post
    so I built a small 60W solar system .
    wait what?

Any further information? Very keen on this build indeed!

wait what?

Any further information? Very keen on this build indeed!
    Cost me around $170 to build this.

Bought new from eBay: 60W solar panels, 10A solar controller, cabling and connectors (i.e. twin 4mm2 solar cable (proper solar cables to withstand UV/outdoor elements), anderson style plugs, mc4 connectors, 10A inline fuse, 15A twin sheath auto cable, ring (eye) terminal connectors).

Bought used from eBay/Gumtree: 60AH deep cycle battery, battery box (to protect from the outdoor elements).

DC 12V air pump can be bought for cheap ($2-$3) from eBay.

My rationale (to my wife) is the solar system can easily be moved to the car for weekend camping trips.

The outdoor tub will do fine without aeration/sponge filter for a couple days easily. Else, I can just get a second deep cycle battery dedicated for camping trips.

Sorry sweefu for going OT. I have tried to keep this short.

Rebel, send me a PM if you would like more details e.g. links to where I bought the items, calculator tool to determine the battery size you need to run your electrical items for X number of days without sun, etc.

Hi all,

I hope everyone is having a successful tub season.

Last night it got down to 11 degrees at my place so I'm planning on shutting down the tubs soon.

Can anyone share suggestions/tips/experiences for how to catch all the fish/shrimp? In both my tubs there are a juvenile rasboras and lots of shrimp. The water isn't crystal clear and trying to net them all seems impossible.
    Is it just a matter of slowly draining the water (perhaps through a net) and catching everything you can?

Cheers

I siphon out most of the water, remove the plants and then run a big 12 inch rectangular net through the tub many times before finally straining the whole tub. I like to dry them for a few weeks before setting up again to kill of any diseases, parasites or snails - over winter I try to find some water with daphnia (ringwood lake) and seed the tubs hoping for a population explosion that I can use to feed other fish before next summer season.

My 1000 litre glasshouse tubs are still 25C so that experiment is working well but the blue-eyes have stopped breeding. I took the adult honey blueyes to the LFS and will raise the fry over winter in the glasshouse. MY 8 breeding gertrudae seem to have turned into ~30+ so thats OK too (because I didnt have to pick the eggs!) P. furcatus = 4 females and 2 males gave rise to ONE fry. ...pathetic.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast