Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's outdoor tub season! Few questions regarding setup & discussion

I did it because I found the concept interesting. The previous year I had put some African Cichlid fry out in a 200L storage tub with just a sponge filter and they grew like crazy over summer. I had wanted a water feature for some time and thought why not have something a bit more interesting in there rather than the usual goldfish. Livebearers seemed like the best first stop as they are hardy, cheap and breed like crazy. Now that I know they can not only survive, but thrive out there (even over winter with the 150W heater), I am thinking about trying something else. I have seen quite a few people breed Celestial Pearl Danio's in the US in summer tubs. Might be worth a look this year.

As for plants, I threw some Java fern and an Anubias on a log in the pond last summer. I just recently cleared out a tonne of the floating plants (Since the weather is warming up) and notice both are still there and growing well.

CPD's are on my list too, waiting in my main tank to go outside.

I believe Grubs tried some danios too, I can't remember which varieties though.

Tubbing is heaps of fun to experiment with various plants and critters outside!

Those 220L hydro tubs are good value! I paid about $300 for my 530L pond. Anyone know of anywhere selling them around Sydney? I could be tempted to make some additions to my current setup at that price... :P

Quote Originally Posted by mdk54 View Post
    Those 220L hydro tubs are good value! I paid about $300 for my 530L pond. Anyone know of anywhere selling them around Sydney? I could be tempted to make some additions to my current setup at that price... :P
    Just google Hydroponics and call a shop near you, they are very common. I picked one up yesterday in Melbourne for $65, they seem to vary up to $80.

Agree they are good value, but not as good as $50 1000L IBC's haha

I also had my eye on these aquaponics growbeds - pickup is Frankston South btw. Newlife Aquarium at Mitcham has one on the floor with goldfish in it. In the end I decided I had enough as I've added 5 x 1000 bins this summer

Found this one in Wollongong. Have messaged seller to see how much postage would be to Penrith.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220L-BLA.../401351249354?

Forgot to mention before, I saw one of the Siamese Flying foxes I put in for algae control last summer the other day. Good to know they have survived as well. I put 5 Bristlenose in as well but can't say I have seen any (although this could be due to the nature of them hiding a lot).

Hey Mdk54, what was the lowest temperature of your tubs? Great to hear of your tubbing experience man.

Quote Originally Posted by mdk54 View Post
    Found this one in Wollongong. Have messaged seller to see how much postage would be to Penrith.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220L-BLA.../401351249354?

Forgot to mention before, I saw one of the Siamese Flying foxes I put in for algae control last summer the other day. Good to know they have survived as well. I put 5 Bristlenose in as well but can't say I have seen any (although this could be due to the nature of them hiding a lot).
    You'll be able to grab it locally for the same or less money, just call a few shops and avoid the postage

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hey Mdk54, what was the lowest temperature of your tubs? Great to hear of your tubbing experience man.
    G'day mate, on some of the cold winter nights (Penrith gets below 0C) I would check the pond in the morning. I think I once saw the temp at 18C, but the rest of the time it was sitting at 19C or above. Then as the day progressed it would warm up to low 20's. I think the two main things that helped retain the temperature were that I turned off the fountain and had all the pump flow go via the underwater bypass valve as well as allowing the floating plants to cover nearly the entire surface which helped to prevent heat exchange. Would love to hear of more people's experiences here in Aus!

Quote Originally Posted by sweefu View Post
    You'll be able to grab it locally for the same or less money, just call a few shops and avoid the postage
    Unfortunately I don't have any close anymore. There used to be one in Penrith for years but it closed down sometime ago. I found one in Richmond (about 20mins away), but he want's $120 for what I am assuming are the same ones (lack of description).

http://richmondhydroponics.com.au/in...product_id=108

Another side note, I forgot about a quick underwater video I took back in Winter. I will have to get another one as this one just shows a lot of umbrella grass roots (Since chopped back) and with minimal light due to the plant coverage (cleared for summer now).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT-t6Ky3K34&t=7s

My tubs are roasting in the sun - getting to 26c/27c the last couple of days (In Melbourne!)

The spot they sit just gets a lot of sun. What kind of Shade cloth would be best to stop some of the heat getting through, but not block too much light for the plants?

The plants are also getting damaged by the sun/heat, but still growing well in the sun.

Cheers.

I reckon you'd need at least 70 percent shade cloth. Can you move it to a Shady spot?

I reckon you'd need at least 70 percent shade cloth. Can you move it to a Shady spot?
    Does 70% mean it blocks 70% of light or lets 70% of light through?

Unfortunately I can't move the tubs, I am in a rental house and there's only one spot in the (small) backyard I can fit them.

I think 70% block. Aquagreen uses them in Darwin. Maybe you can get away with slightly less? It depends on the aspect. Is it getting afternoon sun?

I think 70% block. Aquagreen uses them in Darwin. Maybe you can get away with slightly less? It depends on the aspect. Is it getting afternoon sun?
    I'm concerned it will block too much light for the plants to thrive - I want to make the environment as good as possible for the fish/shrimp, but I'm also very keen to use the free sunlight to grow plants.

Each tub varies slightly, but they get sun from about 10am - 4pm with several hours of that time being full sun.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast