Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st attempt : 4ft Bonsai + Rock

Default 1st attempt : 4ft Bonsai + Rock

Inspired by Takashi Amano, I attempt my first aquascape tank with DSM

Day 1

Day 10

Looking good mate. How's the moss on the trees growing with a dry start? You might be better off putting them in a bucket of water with a light above it until you flood so you are guaranteed they wont dry out.
    Keep the updates coming.

Here's some info on my setup

Tank size - 120W x 50D x 35H
    Plants - Monte Carlo, Coral Moss & Phoenix Moss
    Lighting - Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0 59W
    Substrate - ADA Amazonia

Started DSM on 12th Aug with 12 hrs lighting and mist twice a day. Currently I don't leave any gap like some do to keep it moist for the moss. Moss seems to be doing OK - its only been 10 days. However I noticed browning on some of the MC. Is that normal?

Merv - I read on forum some successfully dry start with these moss but with yogurt (I didn't). I'm hoping that the moss will be attached by the time I flood it around 8 - 10 weeks.

Looking good, will look great when it grows out, you may find the MC if grown submersed will go thru a transition phase adapting to the emersed conditions, that could be the browning you are seeing. As Merv said, you will have to keep the moisture high for the moss, keep it nice and wet

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Looking good, will look great when it grows out, you may find the MC if grown submersed will go thru a transition phase adapting to the emersed conditions, that could be the browning you are seeing. As Merv said, you will have to keep the moisture high for the moss, keep it nice and wet
    I read about melting when transitioning to submersed but I'm still dry start stage and there's no sign of excess water. Hope the browning just adapting (if there's such thing). Could it be because I didn't leave any gap for exchange of air? By the way, I'm using RO water to mist it twice. Could it be the RO water?

Quote Originally Posted by PSPANG View Post
    I read about melting when transitioning to submersed but I'm still dry start stage and there's no sign of excess water. Hope the browning just adapting (if there's such thing). Could it be because I didn't leave any gap for exchange of air? By the way, I'm using RO water to mist it twice. Could it be the RO water?
    It could be the plants adjusting to to dry stage, if they previously where grown underwater they will need time to adapt to the dry start, the same applies when you flood and submerse them, you will find the dry start growth will generally be a bigger leaf then when submersed under water. Like anything give it time, I am sure it will be fine, look for new growth and if that is ok then I wouldnt worry about old growth browning and dyeing away. Not sure if using RO water to mist would be better or worse than just plain old tap water, I only every used tap which will contain some minerals.

Start of 3rd week into DSM. I'm now misting once a day and leave a small gap. I'd also swap to tap water. I'll have some photos later in the week. So far looks the same with a little browning.

Here's what I got so far.

1. Hydra Filtron 1800 external canister filter received last week & cycling it in my goldfish tank. The hoses are massive 19/25mm !!! Gonna have trouble fitting lily pipes & inline CO2 reactor.

2. Bought CO2 kit from LFS - Up Aqua adjustable pressure CO2 regulator & solenoid, bubble count with check valve and UP Super CO2 diffuser. Waiting for the 2.6kg Keg King CO2 cylinder.

3. Bought the Aqua Zonic 300W heater but having trouble with the temperature. My gold fish tank was 13c without heating so I pop the heater in to raise it to 20c. I'd to crank it up to 31c just to raise the water temperature to 18c. This is not right !!! I know the setting on the heater is never accurate but I don't expect over +10c difference. Waiting for LFS to restock and swap over with another heater.

Wow, it looks very good and natural!

-Paola

Day 18

Progressively browning so decided to flood it after consulting 2 separate LFS. Now running 10 hrs CO2 + lighting ... CO2 starts/stops an hour before lighting turns on/off. Let's see what happens next. Is 10 hours too much?

Personally I only run light for 5 or 6 hours on all my tanks, i guess it depends how powerful the light is, just keep an eye on algae growth, keep us posted!

Thanks for the tips, Colm ... I'll dial down as suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by PSPANG View Post
    Thanks for the tips, Colm ... I'll dial down as suggested.
    Agreed with doyle,start with 5 to 6 hrs light and pump co2 and then raise the light time according to the plant growth.if you have a longer light period initially you may struggle to keep algae away.

Day 4 after flooding. Did my first water change on day 2 & kick up a storm ... mess up the substrate & a few plants floated. I'll be gentle next time. Added some HM on the left to provide hiding ground for the shrimps later. Lighting and CO2 running on 6 hrs. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ammonia spiking but guess its safe for now as I don't have anything other than plants. When do I start ferts? 2 weeks? I got PPMD+P ready to go. Going to fert daily alternating between micro & macro and weekly WC.

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    Personally I only run light for 5 or 6 hours on all my tanks, i guess it depends how powerful the light is, just keep an eye on algae growth, keep us posted!
    Me too!

This going to be a stunning scape. The rocks are really unique. The green against the rust colour will pop!

Wait 4 weeks before dosing.

Do big (at least 50%) daily wc'es for the first week after flooding.

Then do big wc'es weekly thereafter.
    Last edited by Dantrasy; 03-09-17 at 12:45 PM.

Melbourne water pretty chilling ... Is it safe to mix it with hot water from the tap?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast