Thread: It's a Jarrarium

Default It's a Jarrarium

So, I set up a terrarium in a jar 2 days ago.
    I used all materials from my backyard (almost).
    I used the same false bottom method as serpadesigns on youtube, he inspired me to create a terrarium.
    From bottom to top:
    aquarium gravel
    flyscreen mesh
    activated carbon
    dirt from my backyard
    plants from my backyard (few pieces of java moss from my aquarium, plus a small stem plant I cant remember the name of. The rest of the plants i have no idea about)
    small stick from a bush/hedge

As for critters, I have seen two tiny dark brown almost spider looking bugs, possibly a springtail, two tiny snails from my aquarium and today I just added two roly poly like bugs, though they didnt roll up at all and do look different to the larger ones that do.
    The jar receives indirect sun for most of the day next to a window, the plants were taken from shady spots so hopefully some of them adapt. The jar is kept sealed but I have been opening it to peek inside.

First Day - 18/8/2017
    I guess this is the "front" of the jar, where the sealing clip is.

2 Days in - 20/8/2017
    Added some more drops of water, a small amount of dirt/rocks (trying to get springtails in there) and two small roly-poly type bugs. Oh and two cat grass seeds that are a couple years old haha. I threw some dirt/leaves from under a tree that I think has springtails in it into a different container to hopefully start a culture of them.

I should update this in a week, also the photos are probably nasty since they are from my iphone 4s.
    Thoughts, comments, criticisms, insults, stories, riddles, limericks, cat pictures, source code welcome and encouraged.
    Last edited by paull105; 30-09-17 at 08:48 AM.

So apart from manually resizing my images is there a way to display them here in a smaller size or thumbnail so you can click to open in full size?
    It looks messy to me being so large. If not I will resize them for future posts.
    Anyway the jar looks basically the same since it's only 3 days old but I wanted to share a photo I took of the "roly-poly" type bugs that are now housed in the jar. Any info on what species this is would be great.
    I think they might be "Porcellio scaber" (Common Rough Woodlouse or Slater) http://eol.org/pages/128536/overview

EDIT
    Added probably 15mls of water from my aquarium, I felt like there needed to be more water in the false bottom but I think it's enough now.
    I read that slaters eat fish flakes, so i popped 2 small ones in there and:

I also managed to get probably 15-20 springtails in there. They were in large numbers in a compost bin so I did my best to shake or blow them into the jar without getting too much compost in with them. They were under some vege scraps, in the compost dirt.
    I also added lots of them to my "starter culture" containter, because I plan on making at least one more terrarium.
    I don't have the skill to capture a photo of the springtails but here's one from google:

They make an excellent clean up crew and help keep the bio cycle going.
    I've shared photos with my friend and their birthday is coming up, could be a neat present.

EDIT 2
    One of the slaters is shedding, half of its "skin" is off
    Last edited by paull105; 23-08-17 at 08:53 PM.

Default 28-8-17 9 Days Old

28-8-17 9 Days Old
    Things seem to be going well, plant growth happening, slaters and springtails living. Misted the jar twice in the last few days since I've been opening it most days to look inside, it's fascinating to watch! Only using rainwater now.
    Front

A new sprout, not sure if its one of the cat grass seeds i tossed in

Right side

Back side

Left side

Front higher angle

There is some white fuzzy stuff growing on the two uncooked rice pieces (which is supposed to feed the bugs) as well as on some buds on one of the plants.
    I made another terrarium and gave it as a gift which went very well, kind of sad to not have it with me but I will still occasionally see it progress.
    I bought two small ground cover plants from bunnings the other day that will go in my next terrarium(s), they will look amazing!
    If anyone would like to see the other ones I create, should the photos go in this thread or another one?
    Thanks for looking.

Hi Paul, thats a nice little jar. I tried similar with aquatic plants (emersed) and it grew well as long there was enough light.

Not sure how to answer tge thumbnail question. I prefer the full size pics in line if possible. Its easier to read.

Nice one. I'd seal it up and see what happens as a closed system.

Default 4-9-17 Grubs | 11-9-17 24 Days

Thanks for the replies guys! Nice to know someone is having a look haha.
    So update time.
    4-9-17
    So for the first time since setup I started seeing quite large trails left along the glass, very obvious because of the condensation. A day or two later I saw these pretty large black grubs (about 8mm long). They were going along the glass. I don't know how big these were when I first started this, I had no idea they were in there. Anyway after a day or two i decided to remove them, they kind of grossed me out and they would end up turning into some sort of fly or beetle.

11-9-17
    Here it is as of today. I've noticed the most growth from the clover. I watched it pop a new leaf which was interesting, it sort of curled out. There are a couple seedlings sprouted, two should be grass seeds but there is one I didn't put in there.
    As for the critters, I discovered another type of roly poly bug underground. Whilst taking these photos I only saw one of them out. So at least one is alive but there are alot of hiding places for them. Springtails are doing well, always see them about. There are a couple other types of tiny things in there including brown mites.
    I initially placed a piece of corn and a couple dry rice seeds as food. They are basically completely gone now, little bugs were always on them.
    Front

Right Side

Back

Left Side

Mite

The jar stays sealed, I open it every other day to have a look inside for a few minutes. I haven't added any water since last time (I wiped the condensation off before taking photos)
    Thanks for looking.