Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fluvagumi - Fluval 23L

Interesting. I am looking at adding some to my iwagumi tank to help with the algae.

Do these guys need a lid?

Also do these guys multiply quickly? Snail outbreaks are not good either

Nerite snails need a brackish larval phase Monty so there's no need to worry about outbreaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    Interesting. I am looking at adding some to my iwagumi tank to help with the algae.

Do these guys need a lid?

Also do these guys multiply quickly? Snail outbreaks are not good either
    I don't know about lids as my fluval is mostly covered by the way of design.

They don't breed in freshwater. If they do, at $25 per snail, most wouldn't mind I reckon!

[ Aquagreen has them for $8 tho; I got mine from Petbarn of all places; they do prefer alkaline water AFAIK; This tank is about pH 8.5 due to the Sieryu ]

Quote Originally Posted by wread17 View Post
    Nerite snails need a brackish larval phase Monty so there's no need to worry about outbreaks.
    That's right. You wouldn't see me anywhere near any pest snails. I actually scrubbed this fellow clean before I put him in a quarantine for two weeks then into this tank. I went to extreme lengths to remove pest snails from all my systems. My quarantine is very prolonged (8 weeks minimum) for any plants that I purchase.

In regards to keeping CRS in the edge, I am finding a lot of losses in my taiwan bee numbers during summer. On 36degree day's I lose at least one adult. I have to leave my AC on all day to counter this, but i'm looking into wiring an old PC fan to sit on the tank opening. The tank sits around 26c, I need it to be at 22. > The small opening does not allow for a lot of evaporative cooling so I find dropping the water line slightly helps.

Rebel, with the positioning of your lights do you find that it lights up the outer edges of the tank? I seem to be struggling with plant growth there. Though aesthetics is the main goal so that limits the position possibilities for me I've ordered some aluminium channels and some 5630 cri90+ LED strips, will give that a go!

Thanks guys. Looks like nerite snails are the way to go. As long as they don't crawl out of the tank..

Will definitely check out my local petbarn.

@indir this pic is for you. Although the joints are not great, you just can't see it on first glance. Maybe I need more practice with the glue gun.

2018-01-09_06-01-44 by Reb El, on Flickr

Damn you love those nerites bro. Haha Breed me some

That hot glue job is solid! You even painted it black Haha.

Thanks Indir. I only have one Nerite in here and hardly see him. I thought he may have died but today, I see some signs of his being around.

2018-01-10_02-03-23 by Reb El, on Flickr

Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    In regards to keeping CRS in the edge, I am finding a lot of losses in my taiwan bee numbers during summer. On 36degree day's I lose at least one adult. I have to leave my AC on all day to counter this, but i'm looking into wiring an old PC fan to sit on the tank opening. The tank sits around 26c, I need it to be at 22. > The small opening does not allow for a lot of evaporative cooling so I find dropping the water line slightly helps.

Rebel, with the positioning of your lights do you find that it lights up the outer edges of the tank? I seem to be struggling with plant growth there. Though aesthetics is the main goal so that limits the position possibilities for me I've ordered some aluminium channels and some 5630 cri90+ LED strips, will give that a go!
    Thanks dude for the tips re CRS. My plan is to DIY a Peltier cooler and attach it to my HOB. I need find one thats small and quiet (fan). Even if it doesnt work out, it might be a fun project.

Light coverage is poor due to the design of this tank. I am considering making a another light to go around the current one (flush) but also extend to the back walls which should be minimally intrusive. I simply find the currwnt lights too dim in a brightly lit room. I am probably setting myself up for major algae.

Can you link to the high CRI strip that you bought? I got one for $40 but find them to be too green/blue. Everything looks off. Perhaps i prefer low CRI I dont know. Please let us know how you go.

I have been considering a rescape on this tank. One of the main reasons is that the broken Sieryu (still very dark) has never matched the colour of the original Sieryu. Tempted to use some lava stone I have left or even some stone that I collected from a friend's property (Quartz I think)..... Maybe I will give it 3 more months or perhaps I will acid dip or pressure clean the bigger Sieryu.
    Last edited by Rebel; 11-01-18 at 11:34 AM.

I started using a supplemental light on the tank with 4x 3W LEDS. I was experimenting and checking that they were still working when I realised that I can connect 4 LEDs in series and just connect it to any 12V supply and get them to go at full power. A simple analogue dimmer also works. The power supply or LEDs don't get hot etc.

With the supplemental light, the tank looks bright and the CRI has improved quite a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I started using a supplemental light on the tank with 4x 3W LEDS. I was experimenting and checking that they were still working when I realised that I can connect 4 LEDs in series and just connect it to any 12V supply and get them to go at full power. A simple analogue dimmer also works. The power supply or LEDs don't get hot etc.

With the supplemental light, the tank looks bright and the CRI has improved quite a lot!
    This might just be the perfect solution for my new 1ft tank.
    Can I ask how I would go about purchasing 4w LED's etc?

I am technically minded when it comes to DIY, but sourcing things is my weakness.

Here are the pictures.

20180112_112929_HDR by Reb El, on Flickr

20180112_112913_HDR by Reb El, on Flickr

Luked, I bought the LEDs off ebay quite a number of months ago. I need to check my sources. I can't even remember whether I have used 10k, 6500k alternating on this strip.
    This is the original project which was stalled due to not being able to get the correct drivers and Chihiros light being more than acceptable.
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...r-LED-for-nano

for a standard one foot, I would suggest the Chihiro A series LED. It's very good and at dimming level 2, would be perfect for low tech.
    Last edited by Rebel; 12-01-18 at 10:40 AM.

Nice! I have a nice 2ft LED light, but obviously too big for my 1ft tank.
    Would be great if I could find someone to swap lol.

This is the name of the light I have. its currently mounted to the hood of my 4fter as an additional light.
    I havent been using it though as i get too much algae growth on the back near the light
    "Aqua Zonic Super Bright Extendable LED Light Freshwater and Planted Tank 60-80cm 23.94watts"

It did a top job growing plants in my standard height 2fter i had 2 years ago.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast