Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluvagumi - Fluval 23L

Default Fluvagumi - Fluval 23L

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a Fluval 23L (after getting rid of my 46L from last year which never saw water!) and decided to house this on my work desk.

It is a tough tank to scape etc so I have gone with a simplistic design that I can make at home and just transport to work as a whole. Everything is stock apart from the LED which I will DIY for more coverage but still keeping the sleek aesthetic. The scape will be an iwagumi but low tech without any CO2. Plants haven't been decided but a sparce scape with DHG may be a go. I may have some aquasoil at the back in small pots (perhaps some pearl weed) but I am undecided. Planning for some blue cherries as I have never kept these prior.

Here is the initial pic today after a quick go at the stones.

Fluvagumi 23 by Reb El, on Flickr
    Last edited by Rebel; 09-08-17 at 09:16 PM.

Nice! I also have a low tech planted 23L Edge, I have Monte Carlo, Riccardia on a Bonsai wood tree and blue bolt taiwan bees.

One thing to keep in mind is that the LED's are only at the center of the tank. So any tall hard scape structures you place here can potentially shadow the corners of the tanks, affecting plant growth.

Excited to see how this progresses!

Also looking forward to see how this progresses. I am a fan of iwagumi setups

In terms of the DHG (dwarf hair grass?) .. does it grow well in a low tech without CO2? I would be keen to try it but thought it was for tanks with higher light/increased CO2/ferts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Destruction View Post
    Nice! I also have a low tech planted 23L Edge, I have Monte Carlo, Riccardia on a Bonsai wood tree and blue bolt taiwan bees.

One thing to keep in mind is that the LED's are only at the center of the tank. So any tall hard scape structures you place here can potentially shadow the corners of the tanks, affecting plant growth.

Excited to see how this progresses!
    Dude, post a picture!!!

I plan to rectify the LED situation as the tank came with the LEDs already burnt out. My plan is to do a DIY with more coverage, but with good aesthetics. Need to wait and see how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    Also looking forward to see how this progresses. I am a fan of iwagumi setups

In terms of the DHG (dwarf hair grass?) .. does it grow well in a low tech without CO2? I would be keen to try it but thought it was for tanks with higher light/increased CO2/ferts.
    DHG will be pretty slow generally. I don't want too much growth in this tank. I only want to do top ups mostly with perhaps monthly maintenance. Light will be low. DHG will be ok I think it remains to be seen.

It will be interesting to see how it grows. If you are successful then i might give it a go.

Nice one Rebel. Ideal tank for a desk! You can probably guess what I reckon you should stock it with
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post
    Nice one Rebel. Ideal tank for a desk! You can probably guess what I reckon you should stock it with
    I considered it.... I can still change my mind though.... The reason for my hesitation is that there will be downward flow at the only small opening to the tank which may make it difficult for Mr Grumpus to breath. Also I couldn't be bothered feeding daily etc.

Ah good point... I'd forgotten how the filter works on those tanks. Hardly any surface area to breathe from unless you don't fill it up properly.
    Luke

Just watch the intake on those filters, I had one eat 30 or so adult boraras urophthalmoides in one night.

Quote Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post
    Ah good point... I'd forgotten how the filter works on those tanks. Hardly any surface area to breathe from unless you don't fill it up properly.
    Also I wont be able to have some shrimpies here. I think I will go for a top ups with occasional waterchanges for this one. Have to make it easy because I can't afford to have a terrible looking tank nor algae fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Juls View Post
    Just watch the intake on those filters, I had one eat 30 or so adult boraras urophthalmoides in one night.
    Ouch!! The seller already gave me their sponge guard for the filter. They stressed the importance of it quite a lot!!! I wondered what the fuss was about.

original set up looks good rebel.. looking forward to seeing this progress. I havent put up my tank yet but already thinking of getting a small shrimp tank going soon as the 5fter is up.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
    original set up looks good rebel.. looking forward to seeing this progress. I haven't put up my tank yet but already thinking of getting a small shrimp tank going soon as the 5fter is up.. lol
    Hiya, thanks! I have partially planted and flooded today. Fitted filter. Need to DIY light until my components arrive for the clean DIY light in the next couple of months.

Some progress.....

2017-08-16_09-51-21 by Reb El, on Flickr

20170816_215046_HDR by Reb El, on Flickr

2017-08-17_10-21-02 by Reb El, on Flickr

2017-08-17_10-18-28 by Reb El, on Flickr

I got some plants from one of the CDAS members and will trial them here. The Tonina probably won't survive and the UG is questionable.... Happy to experiment and take things slow in this tank. I may have blue shrimp or a couple of Apistos here but eitherway need a system where I don't need to manage it too much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast