Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apistoadam's 'Lounge room' aquarium.

Default Apistoadam's 'Lounge room' aquarium.

Hey guys. Well I finally got round to setting this tank up! I've had the tank, Goldvine, filter, light, heater and sub for WELL over a year. I got the stand at the start of the year and moved some furniture around to make room for it in the lounge room, it's been sitting there with the empty tank on it since then. Haha! Yesterday I was feeling productive, so I got started on some work with the lid. I needed to cut out some slots to fit the Lily pipes, so the Dremel made an appearance and the slots were cut. Next thing I had to do was cut out some of the 'guts' of the lid to fit the light into. The Dremel made short work of that also. Next task was to drill out holes for the filter hoses.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Today I got some black backing, I wasn't really happy with the frosting that I'd already put on. After that was on, I started getting the Goldvine placement I wanted, cutting off pieces of the 'arms' to get the angles I was looking for.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I had a tub full of rocks that got from a mates backyard but they all needed scrubbing. I got that sorted and then I had to run out and get a new Co2 diffuser. When I was getting everything out of my spare room I noticed the diffuser I had was smashed. That gave the rocks time to dry so they'd be easier to work with. I then started on the scape. At the moment I'm just at the hardscape. Here's where I finished this arvo.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'll leave it overnight and see how I feel about it in the AM. Any suggestions on changes will be taken aboard.

Cheers guys, I'll follow up when I get more done.

Adam.

Looks really good, I would try raise the back right cnr higher, also prop up the wood a bit more, I wouldnt have it covered by the soil seems like of pointless covering up the nice wood

Good work with the DIY dremel cuts. I love the way the rocks are kind of blending with the soil in their texture. Nice choice.
    One thing to watch out for is having the wood so close to the glass that you cant get a brush or mag scraper past it. I have this problem in one tank and there is always some algae there that i just cant get, and it is right in the front of my tank.

Looking good! Agree with Colm in raising the driftwood

The rocks look a little too uniform... placement comes across too even, maybe have those rocks tighter together and add some smaller rocks and pebbles to make it flow

Thanks for your thoughts guys! I'll mess around with some rock placement today. I don't have any smaller rocks, but I may try smashing some bigger ones up and see how I go with that.

I wouldn't smash up any of the rocks, that would ruin the nice consistent round river stone look you have gone on, head to a landscape supply and see if they have large river stones, if you could get say 5 or so really big stones to position at the back right, and also move your wood more towards the back right (may need to trim the bit of vine at the back) this should give more room at the front and left side so you can clean the glass, lift it up the wood / position on-top / intertwined with the bigger rocks and it could look really cool and natural, as if the wood has grown around the river stones.

Loving the DIY! Be careful with moisture and that light. Make sure you have enough ventilation or seal that light completely.

About time for an update....

The tank has been up and running for a while now. I’ve had limited internet service so I haven’t had a chance to update the thread and show you how it’s coming along.

First up, I replaced the small Ista filter with an Aqua One Nautilus 600. The aqua One has a better filtration and I’m getting the output rate that I wanted now.

Secondly, I replaced the Aqua One light with a Chihiros A-series plus. The light has way more punch than the Aqua One, and the plant growth is showing this. I’m yet to get around to fixing the light into the hood, so at the moment it’s just sitting over the open tank. I’ll get around to it one day, just need to find the time and really think about how to go about it.

Thirdly, I FINALLY found some Apisto Trifasciata! So I have a pair in there. The male is a little aggressive towards the female, but he’s slowly settling down.

There’s a few issues that I’m slowly working through, but everything seems to be going ok at the moment. I’ve been getting the odd BBA sprout up, but I’m keeping that under control with H2O2 and excel. I had some BGA issues a few weeks after I flooded the tank, but I got all of that out before it took control.

Plants include:-
    AR mini
    Rotala Wallichi
    Various Crypts
    Trident fern
    Needle leaf fern
    Java fern
    Pygmy chain sword
    MC carpet

Fish:-
    15 Glowlight Tetras
    2 Ottos
    Pair of Apisto Trifasciata

Cheers guys!
    Adam.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Wow really nice! Love the apisto pair!

I'm just here to make sure there is apistos on your tank Adam!

Solid light conversion there, nice work. Nice looking tank too! Trifacs your favourite? Call me when you have fry

Thanks DDM! The male looks better with his fins up, but as always, when trying to get a pic he just sulks around.

Cheers Indir! Pretty stoked on getting the Trifasciata! I’ll be working on fry soon, I’ll have to remove all the Glowlights first though, they put muscle the male at feeding times at the moment. Haha!

Really enjoying the clean look with nice healthy plants. Nice work on this tank dude.

Did you get the Apisto via AI?

Thanks Rebel! The plants are firing! Need to trim at least once every 10 days or so. I got the Apistos from Auburn, seen they had a pair on their FB page, so I grabbed em straight away.

Apistos... ��

Looking good mate.
    I feel you need a plant on the right side, around 2/3 along the length of the tank. There's a dark spot infront of the wood. I nice erio perhaps? It kinda sticks out.
    Just my 2c
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Hey PIL, cheers mate! I’m waiting for the MC to creep across that spot you’re talking about, which has happened since those pics were taken. There’s an entrance to a cave under the wood there, so I didn’t want to block that up too much with more plants. That’s the males fave hangout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast