Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need recommendatioon on LED light for a hooded tank

Default need recommendatioon on LED light for a hooded tank

Hey guys, i have been busy and away for a while

i now need some recommendation on new LED since my old UP AQUAs have all died from moisture damage in my hooded tank.

This is what the tank looked in its better days, now it is in need of some TLC
    http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...od-scape/page4

the tank is 100cm and hooded, so i am looking for a 90 cm unit that is ideally water/moisture resistant. i dont have high demanding plants and runs minimal CO2 so med lighting would be more than sufficient. any suggestions?

Suggest MML tube 90cm 10k.

The moisture damage will occur unless you install a fan to get rid of the humidity. I don't think there would be completely sealed lights but you can certainly silicone the MML tube if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Suggest MML tube 90cm 10k.

The moisture damage will occur unless you install a fan to get rid of the humidity. I don't think there would be completely sealed lights but you can certainly silicone the MML tube if you wish.
    Thanks! does the MML gets overly hot? and are the tubes sealable? i tried to silicone the up aqua but moisture/water creep in after a day.

Not too hot but it is not sealed for moisture AFAIK.

You need fans dude. Can't go against physics. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Not too hot but it is not sealed for moisture AFAIK.

You need fans dude. Can't go against physics. :P
    fair enough. guess i will need 2 tubes. should i go for 90 degree or 120 degree?

also a bit confused with the order? do i need to buy the Meanwell power supplier for the light tubes? i guess the dimmer is optional?

May i suggest an alternative light such as Chihiros A-series or soon to be released A-series plus? They get rave reviews and very thin design to fit under the hood.

A-series plus gives more rows of LEDS.

May not be as powerful as MML lights but is plenty light for medium plants or possibly high light plants.

http://www.hinterfeld.com.au/store/c...%E5%93%81.html

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    May i suggest an alternative light such as Chihiros A-series or soon to be released A-series plus? They get rave reviews and very thin design to fit under the hood.

A-series plus gives more rows of LEDS.

May not be as powerful as MML lights but is plenty light for medium plants or possibly high light plants.

http://www.hinterfeld.com.au/store/c...%E5%93%81.html
    I use the A-Series Plus (45cm and 60cm) they are decent lights for the price but would be fair from a sealed unit, in a high humidity environment moisture would definitely get into the light, the construction / quality control is a bit iffy but good bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by nautilusly View Post
    fair enough. guess i will need 2 tubes. should i go for 90 degree or 120 degree?

also a bit confused with the order? do i need to buy the Meanwell power supplier for the light tubes? i guess the dimmer is optional?
    Yes, it's a modular system so put all the bits into the cart and check the price. Maybe ask Fred about the 90 degree vs 120 degree... It depends on tank depth.

Quote Originally Posted by doylecolmdoyle View Post
    I use the A-Series Plus (45cm and 60cm) they are decent lights for the price but would be fair from a sealed unit, in a high humidity environment moisture would definitely get into the light, the construction / quality control is a bit iffy but good bang for the buck.
    One could seal these also I think. But heat/humidity management is so important.

I have fried my MML due to too much heat/humidity despite having fans!!

For the hood, best use a pc case fan(s)

These are low budget ones. Noctua ones are very good and silent but are expensive. Avoid any with PWM controls. The 12V can be just wired to simple dimmer and then to fan. Adjust accordingly.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-3-Pin...3D252919226145
    Last edited by Rebel; 17-07-17 at 11:05 AM.

How has yours fared? Does your A-series plus get hot?

Also some people on other forums did complain that on the lowest dim setting the light starts to flicker. Have you noticed this?

I am interested in the A-series plus. The adjustable leg stands are brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1089 View Post
    How has yours fared? Does your A-series plus get hot?

Also some people on other forums did complain that on the lowest dim setting the starts to flicker. Have you noticed this?

I am interested in the A-series plus. The adjustable leg stands are brilliant.
    The 60cm version is growing my nature style scape well, tho most plants are low light, I have the light turned down to about the 4/7 setting could be the 5th highest setting cant recall, the stand is also raised up to the max height, the light stays warm at this level but not to hot to touch. The 45cm is on my iguwami scape and my glosso is growing like crazy, HC is starting to get going, everything pearls well, I am running the second highest setting (6/7), with the stand a few inchs of the rim of the tank, the light light is almost to hot to touch, at full power it would be very hot, I will probably reduce the light soon once the HC grows in a bit more.

You can see them both in the photo below, both run for 5hrs a day, IMO good lights for the price, build quality isnt the best but they are cheap for high power light.

I did have a problem with the light flickering but it was a faulty dimmer, it would flicker at any level, I swapped out the dimmer (about 2 bucks of ebay) and it was fine, Hinterfeld also sent out a replacement dimmer but I ordered on from ebay aus as it would arrive faster.

Ive also ordered a tc420 and plan on trying to run the lights on that to program a sunrise / set effect.

IMG_9688 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr

The 60cm version is growing my nature style scape well, tho most plants are low light, I have the light turned down to about the 4/7 setting could be the 5th highest setting cant recall, the stand is also raised up to the max height, the light stays warm at this level but not to hot to touch. The 45cm is on my iguwami scape and my glosso is growing like crazy, HC is starting to get going, everything pearls well, I am running the second highest setting (6/7), with the stand a few inchs of the rim of the tank, the light light is almost to hot to touch, at full power it would be very hot, I will probably reduce the light soon once the HC grows in a bit more.

You can see them both in the photo below, both run for 5hrs a day, IMO good lights for the price, build quality isnt the best but they are cheap for high power light.

I did have a problem with the light flickering but it was a faulty dimmer, it would flicker at any level, I swapped out the dimmer (about 2 bucks of ebay) and it was fine, Hinterfeld also sent out a replacement dimmer but I ordered on from ebay aus as it would arrive faster.

Ive also ordered a tc420 and plan on trying to run the lights on that to program a sunrise / set effect.

IMG_9688 by Colm Doyle, on Flickr
    Excellent. Thanks for the write up

I only have low light plants so these lights will do a great job. I also shouldn't have heat issues if using them at half power.

The space the adjustable legs create is very good since the light won't get in the way when cleaning the tank etc.

Yes when i read reviews about these lights a lot of people did comment on the dimmer that came with the lights. They seem faulty from the factory. Best course of action is to replace the dimmer straight away.

Nice looking tanks btw

Sorry I also forgot to write my lights are the A-series Plus which have 1 or two extra rows of LEDs so I assume a standard a-series would not get as hot, tho you may need to run at a higher level to get the same light penetration, a few other ppl here run the standard a-series I am pretty sure, perhaps they will chime in on any heat issues.

Also note the "A-Series" doesn't come standard with the steel wire legs, you have to buy them separately
    Last edited by doylecolmdoyle; 17-07-17 at 01:27 PM.

a few other ppl here run the standard a-series I am pretty sure, perhaps they will chime in on any heat issues.
    I have three A series and at the highest level, it gets too hot to be comfortable. One level below the highest is fine. Any of the other levels are not even luke warm.

My 60 45 45 tank has two A series running at the third level with excellent growth. Anything more and it's algae soup even with high CO2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast