Thread: Does algaefix kill staghorn? Does it kill java moss/christmas moss?

Default Does algaefix kill staghorn? Does it kill java moss/christmas moss?

Hi guys,
    Beginning of July, I came home from a week long holiday to find out my sis in law had pulled out my aquarium light from its timer socket and forgot to replace it. The plants were all fine, no algae or anything, but a couple of days after lights were back on schedule, I had a burst of staghorn which I am trying and failing to control.
    My tank specs are:
    20L, with HOB filter.
    6W LED lights (somehow they look brighter than a 12W halogen)

Plants:
    Rotala Sp Green
    Blyxa Japonica
    AR mini
    Monte Carlo
    Java moss

Fish:
    ~30 guppy fry
    2 small bristlenose plecos
    2 cherry shrimp
    5 ramshorn snails

In the past 10 days, Iíve tried bumping up the CO2 up, and leaving it on 24/7, as well as starving the fish (feeding a 30 second session every 4 days, 50% water change after feeding). Reduced lights from 8 hrs to 5 hrs a day. Iíve stopped ferts.
    Nothing seems to be working yet.

The AR mini is heavily infested, and the Monte Carlo moderately. Rotala and java moss seem to be completely immune, whereas the blyxa is still in the clear Ė it only had a small speck which I removed by hand.

Has anyone used Algaefix on staghorn? Does it work? Will it kill my java moss (I spent 4 months growing and carefully trimming it Ė itís only just started to look somewhat decent).
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Khee

I would be careful with algae fix I know it will kill MC and HC, not to sure how it will effect mosses but they usually dont like anything to strong, if you can remove the moss, put it in something where you can black it out for a week or so

I would cut my losses and trim it off. Dont use algaefix for staghorn.

I wouldn't use the algaefix. It'll probably kill your shrimp and snails for a start.

Reducing your fertilizer, feeding, co2 and lighting is likely to lead to an explosion of other types of algae.

You should be looking to balance your nutrients which can be tricky on tiny tanks where lighting is often intense.

Reducing your fertilizer and not feeding much can lead to higher phosphates and low or no nitrogen which algae loves and plants hate.

If anything I'd be looking to get your nitrogen and potassium levels up while keeping phosphates low, around 1/10th of your nitrogen level.

Then moving on to manual removal of as much algae as possible since the tank is tiny and then the rest should come under control once you get your nutrients up and running again.

Juls

Quote Originally Posted by Juls View Post
    I wouldn't use the algaefix. It'll probably kill your shrimp and snails for a start.
    Oh yeah, it's very good at killing shrimp even at low doses.

Thanks very much guys! I'll do what Juls says and hope the tanks recovers. Definitely not going with Algaefix then, since I guess I'll lose the MC carpet, the moss, shrimp and snails.

Just to note, it doesn't really kill snails ( I WISH! ) or even moss at the recommended doses. It will kill moss at very high doses though. I've done it.

So if I use it at recommended dose, will it kill only the staghorn and leave the mos/MC untouched?

Quote Originally Posted by Khee View Post
    So if I use it at recommended dose, will it kill only the staghorn and leave the mos/MC untouched?
    Unlikely (although I've never tested). AFAIK it only works against green hair algae.

If you remove all livestock, I think you can easily treat that tank and return livestock in 3 days after a 90% back to back water changes.

I had green hair algae on this tank a couple of months ago, but it was never a problem for me. It only grew very slowly on the tank glass, never on the plants, so I simply scraped it off with a credit card sometimes during water changes. After this staghorn bloom, it seems all the other algae vanished. Can't find a single speck of diatoms or green hair algae.

So, which is the best course of action?

Plan 1: Try to find balance of lights/nutrients while manually removing algae.
    Worst case scenario: Tank gets taken over by before I find balance.

Plan 2: Remove livestock, treat with recommended dose of Algaefix and do 3x90% water changes.
    Worst case scenario: MC and moss die, algae might not die.

I'll post pics soon of the tank... kind of feel sad that this might be the end for it after 4 months' work

Hiya option 3 is to just remove the staghorn. Because the bloom was due to too much light (now solved) you might not need to adjust anything else.

Really depends if your impatient or not.

Rebalancing the nutrient by doing 99% water change then dosing back to the right levels should sort things out within 4-6 weeks.

Juls