Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Green Thumbs?

OK, stand by.

Clearly needs to be thinned out.

Another that needs thinning out.

Cycad Palm/Sago Palm, could anyone tell me what's going on with the fronds?

Have an old wheelbarrow full of different Gasteria, Aloe and Gasteraloe.

Obviously not working today and hadn't noticed how neglected the yard is until I went out and took some photos...

The cycad leaves just have a little sunburn. You must have it in part shade and one of the nasty days in summer has done a number on it. Mine did that when it was growing under the patio with only some full sun. Once planted in the garden in full sun all day it never got burned again apart from the really old leaves that were from before.

One of the cacti flowers taken at night and done, like the artist i am, in B&W.

1509062_613151082093484_1391971613_n by Merv Hall, on Flickr

much like my aquariums, i love low maintenance plants.

i have;
    various miniature ferns,
    various lavenders,
    a small herb garden.
    and my favourite - a ficus lyrata that is my pride and joy

am gonna start a small terrarium with african violets once i move.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

Some great agaves in those photos. I have those ones too except the reginae one.

Got a lot - a few types of attenuata ( Boutin Blue, Blue Flame, White Trim, variegated, Kara), ferox, Dragons Feet, Whale Tongue, Sharkskin, franzasinii Grey Ghost, desmetiana Green, desmetiana Joe Hoak, lurida, Bue Glow

Lots of aloes - the one you have which I forget the name of and a lot from Aloe Aloe nursery

Will get some photos over the weekend. A lot of the cultivars don't pup much otherwise I'd be happy to send some down. I will take a look on the weekend and see if there are any.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmerv View Post
    The cycad leaves just have a little sunburn. You must have it in part shade and one of the nasty days in summer has done a number on it. Mine did that when it was growing under the patio with only some full sun. Once planted in the garden in full sun all day it never got burned again apart from the really old leaves that were from before.
    Oh OK, so it would be better off in full sun?

I bought 4 Cycads from KMart on Monday, about a little taller than 30cm, $18 each, should have got a couple more, haha, I have about 10 in various sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by GregOz View Post
    Some great agaves in those photos. I have those ones too except the reginae one.

Got a lot - a few types of attenuata ( Boutin Blue, Blue Flame, White Trim, variegated, Kara), ferox, Dragons Feet, Whale Tongue, Sharkskin, franzasinii Grey Ghost, desmetiana Green, desmetiana Joe Hoak, lurida, Bue Glow

Lots of aloes - the one you have which I forget the name of and a lot from Aloe Aloe nursery

Will get some photos over the weekend. A lot of the cultivars don't pup much otherwise I'd be happy to send some down. I will take a look on the weekend and see if there are any.
    Some of those Agave I'm going to have to Google as I've never heard of them, haha.

That'd be great if you had a spare pup to hand off, thanks.

Have my eye on some around here locally and a couple of small ones at work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GotCrabs View Post
    Oh OK, so it would be better off in full sun?

I bought 4 Cycads from KMart on Monday, about a little taller than 30cm, $18 each, should have got a couple more, haha, I have about 10 in various sizes.
    I'm not sure if they are better off in full sun or not. I knew they would grow good in the full sun after seeing one in the middle of a paddock on a property once and it looked in good nick. I put mine there because it was a feature of one of my garden beds and that was in the middle of a lawn. The burning of the leaves is not a problem for them but is just a bit off aesthetically.

Beautiful collection!

Grabbed 4 Agave earlier from a local seller, not sure of which Agave they are though, decent sizes, $5 each.

Went outta town to a small garden centre earlier today and bought 2 Agave victoriae reginae variegata pups, a Haworthia Tessellata, 4 Agave desmettiana variegata pups, found some Agave on the side of the roads around town, will do a sneaky trip tonight and grab some pups also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12